Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I think this cell is deveoping over my house! Torrentian rain and hail now

Just been under that same cell, it isn't hail. It's just very large rain drops. :)

Also, I will upload some videos to YouTube shortly. Thanks for giving me my first ever post with a popular sign. :D

Slowing down a bit here now. Around another 10 minutes of this then a smaller cell developing to my South, then it should clear up to leave a lovely sunny day tomorrow. :):yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow, Thunderstorms & Summer Plumes

Wind picked up dramatically, started raining heavily and lightning seen, finally. I think I also saw some CG lightning too.

Posted

What a beauty, can't wait now!!!

That thing in the Irish Sea that was moving NNE is now moving North and the cell that was over St.Annes has almost dissipated. :(

I still think tomorrow will be better for you!

Posted

Great reading all the post this thread this evening from places in cheshire, merseyside and lancashire. It is reminding me of late Nov last year when I was vividly reading all the snow convection activity over NE England. This time it is thunder and it is all happening to my south. I'm not sure if the storms are tracking direct north, but hearing reports of them hitting blackpool bodes very well for the Lake District, the added instability caused by the irish sea will certainly ensure any that do manage to make it into cumbria will go off in fireworks especially as they hit the south lakes and the higher ground. We could see some very heavy downpours within the next couple of hours - a wait and see game.....

It isn't normally until May before convection really gets going... great to see the thunder starting early this year.. this is the thread to be in at the moment!

Posted

That thing in the Irish Sea that was moving NNE is now moving North and the cell that was over St.Annes has almost dissipated. :(

I still think tomorrow will be better for you!

Southport is getting battered now. I'll probably give it another 20 minutes until I lose hope!

(reminds me a lot of us in Cold Spell threads in winter and night of the streamers) :D

Hope renewed, cell has hit the fylde coast! I suspect I'm in for a treat in the next 40 mins!

Posted

Southport is getting battered now. I'll probably give it another 20 minutes until I lose hope!

(reminds me a lot of us in Cold Spell threads in winter and night of the streamers) :D

Hope renewed, cell has hit the fylde coast! I suspect I'm in for a treat in the next 40 mins!

Youre not joking, this is very torrential rain indeed. Good lightning show too, if you get it, you're in for a treat! I have to say I wasn't expecting this.

Edited by chris93

Posted

Just started raining but the cell hasn't arrived yet. I suspect it'll stay light for the next ten minutes then all will go calm again until the cell hits! St Annes getting battered.

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

As the old folks used to say up here. "Thunder makes or breaks the weather."

No, I don't understand it either !

Posted

Still nothing but rain and distant rumbles. Turning into something of a non-event here. *sigh*

Well, after some short early excitment its just rain here now too. It is only April, you know!:lol:

EDIT: gone now.

Edited by chris93

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well what a cracking show we had here!!! Just got in from work. It absolutely thrashed it down with frequent lightning and booming thunder. In terms of rainfall......wow, it must have thrashed it down for in excess of an hour; customers saying roads were becoming impassable in places. What a day.

Posted

Yeah you're on a guaranteed winner. You will see something. Unknown as to how long it will last atm, it's back building all of the time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Just been under that same cell, it isn't hail. It's just very large rain drops. :)

Also, I will upload some videos to YouTube shortly. Thanks for giving me my first ever post with a popular sign. :D

Slowing down a bit here now. Around another 10 minutes of this then a smaller cell developing to my South, then it should clear up to leave a lovely sunny day tomorrow. :):yahoo:

I was under the impression that reputation points were given for informative, on topic & relevant posts, not as a voting platform for youtube videos....talk about abuse of the format! :nonono:

Have you eaten your hat yet BT??....Us winter moderators haven't forgotton your winter bet ...lol

Back on topic, it's nice to see areas that sometimes miss out get a good display today (The NW of England) ...hopefully plenty more of the same tomorrow :)

Posted

Back on topic, it's nice to see areas that sometimes miss out get a good display today (The NW of England) ...hopefully plenty more of the same tomorrow :)

It's not just the storms either. The NW might have been the warmest region today (on the whole). We're usually let down by coastal areas in terms of temperature but the temperature rose above 24C even there with places inland breaching 25C.

Posted

I was under the impression that reputation points were given for informative, on topic & relevant posts, not as a voting platform for youtube videos....talk about abuse of the format! :nonono:

Have you eaten your hat yet BT??....Us winter moderators haven't forgotton your winter bet ...lol

Yeah I cheated.

Also I wanted to see if anyone would actually bother watching it if I went to the effort of uploading it. There was a purpose for it. :)

Also, it was socks not a hat. I have eaten my sock.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Yeah I cheated.

Also I wanted to see if anyone would actually bother watching it if I went to the effort of uploading it. There was a purpose for it. :)

Also, it was socks not a hat. I have eaten my sock.

Proof was the deal....Where's the youtube video of it? :winky:

Anyhoos, I, for one would like to see the storm footage, nothing quite like a lightning display at dusk!

Posted

We updated the NMM to the warm weather convective physics setup today, and it's pretty keen to break out fairly widespread showers/storms tomorrow afternoon.

post-2-0-53414800-1303505144_thumb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

We updated the NMM to the warm weather convective physics setup today, and it's pretty keen to break out fairly widespread showers/storms tomorrow afternoon.

post-2-0-53414800-1303505144_thumb.png

Nice one. Cheers Paul.

Noticed the showers/storms are much heavier on the 12z than the 06z. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I suspect I'll be hit by some heavy showers at midnight from those dying storms, unless the mountains cause them to become thundery again (a la May 2008)

Posted

I suspect I'll be hit by some heavy showers at midnight from those dying storms, unless the mountains cause them to become thundery again (a la May 2008)

Talking of which, to the members in the North West, are those cells in the NW still producing lightning, or have they died back to just rain?

Posted

Too far east for us for tomorrow (probably the cold front will have advanced too much) My time will come (Not had any storms so far this year yet)

Edited by NUT

Posted

Just light rain here and that's almost fizzled out now.