Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Weather Discussion Uk

Coast

Posted

Talking of which, to the members in the North West, are those cells in the NW still producing lightning, or have they died back to just rain?

Its all over here nowcray.gif, even the rain, the wind was gusty after the lightning but even that has dropped

About an hour ago we had 2 lightning strikes to my West. That will be the 4th time this year I've had some thunder.

In one of the least thunder and lightning prone parts of the country :doh:

What are chances of any good storms tomorrow? Netweather GFS says 81% chance of letdown storms...

Posted
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.
  • Location: LANCS. 12 miles NE of Preston at the SW corner of the Bowland Fells. 550ft, 170m approx.

Spoke too soon. Chucking it down at present.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Its all over here nowcray.gif, even the rain, the wind was gusty after the lightning but even that has dropped

<br><br>Im not being funny atleast you got to see some lightning... I haven't seen any lightning or heard any thunder since last july and that was in mexico.<br><br> Really nice day here today I just wish I could of got 1 flash of lightning in or something... SE most lightning prone PAH! last year everything went way north into the midlands. <br>Oh well we have the rest of the year to go.<br><br>

Edited by Mesoscale

Posted

Actually i just thought i saw a very distant flash to the north but cant be sure, ah well, off to make some crumpets and coffee (decaf) for suppertongue.gif lets hope for more tommorrow

Posted

The CF may be ahead of the previous thinking. At 18z it was across Cornwall and eastern Ireland with the second CF across western Ireland. There was a trough lying north-south along eastern Wales.which probably facilitated the storms this evening. Be interesting to keep an eye on the progress of the fromt regarding tomorrows convective activity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

I thought my videos were better than that rofl.

Ah well, here's one:

Next one is 300mb, so that'll be a while! Lol.

Posted

<br><br>Im not being funny atleast you got to see some lightning... I haven't seen any lightning or heard any thunder since last july and that was in mexico.<br><br> Really nice day here today I just wish I could of got 1 flash of lightning in or something... SE most lightning prone PAH! last year everything went way north into the midlands. <br>Oh well we have the rest of the year to go.<br><br>

I think we have not done too bad for thunder here the past few years, we normally miss a lot of the cells that develop inland, they usually form over the midlands then move northeast into lincs or yorkshire toward the north sea coast

Although last year we got a monster storm with constant thunder, when i opened the back window to take a look i could not believe it, no breaks between the rumbles and it lasted a good while, then came another of similar intensity, i think it was backbuilding,

I hope we get another like that

Posted

A beautiful day here with plenty of warm sunshine that was only interrupted by bits and pieces that were blown up across the channel; nothing worth getting excited about but it didn't stop me from looking every now and then. My question is whether the set up we are likely to have tomorrow is the first 'Spanish Plume' of the year? And if so which areas are worth looking out for.

I was pleased to see things actually get off the ground up yonder this evening and am glad to hear that some people got something! Lucky devils...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well i took the gamble and glad i did. Chased a storm around Warrington that seemed fairly weak, although lots of rumbles. It then seemed to intensify markedly around dusk with plenty of lightning. Definitely a pulse storm though as ten mins later it died again. Ten mins of fantastic lightning though will do nicely for so early in the season. Think the most action was further west but wasn't going to travel any further as i have an early start tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Well i took the gamble and glad i did. Chased a storm around Warrington that seemed fairly weak, although lots of rumbles. It then seemed to intensify markedly around dusk with plenty of lightning. Definitely a pulse storm though as ten mins later it died again. Ten mins of fantastic lightning though will do nicely for so early in the season. Think the most action was further west but wasn't going to travel any further as i have an early start tomorrow.

Well it certainly kicked off round here mate, wasn't expecting the intensity we got

Posted

First splashes of rain around here in the last 5-10 minutes. No sounds of thunder yet and the rain is very fine and light- I'm expecting it to intensify rapidly in the next half hour, but it looks like the energy has been sucked out of the storm. Will be interesting to see whether the Irish Sea has any affect and indeed the higher ground of the central lakes. Still it's the first bit of rain since last Friday, though we did catch one or two spots early last saturday.

Tomorrow could see some locally heavy rain in places over the lake district. Tonight really does feel like one of those heady mid summer evenings of July and August when we have a spanish plume event or a slow moving front crashing in from the southwest into still long standing continental air - it certainly doesn't feel like an April evening.

Edited by damianslaw

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

If anything the rain seems to be intensifying again as it moves into Cumbria!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No real change regarding tomorrow on the 18z. Perhaps a very slight adjustment East of the potential storm zone but generally E Wales and Eastwards, it should be game on tomorrow. :D

Posted

Just had some splashes of rain...

Posted

Was expecting some moderate rain at least by now, alas we have had hardly anything, though in the last couple of minutes it has intensified somewhat. It looks like the real heavy stuff is just about to pounce on us before midnight, when a good hour of proper heavy rain may fall, but no thunder or lightning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Here's a better one:

Around 6 minutes 20 seconds in lightning comes close to striking next door's chimney!!

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Warm summer evenings

cells NW of Dumfries and North of Carlise as i type , potentially got thunder? look potent on the radar and heading this way :). Feels very close outside aswell

Posted

Just been woken by a loud crack of thunder :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Storm Watch - High Risk of Thunderstorms - day 1

saturday afternoon and evening break out thunderstorms for many places, some severe weather is likely and storms could be severe with frequent and sometimes intense activity lasting into the night for some.

-

CAPE/lifted index values looking good for widespread action!!

post-11361-0-77026400-1303533939_thumb.p

post-11361-0-42279900-1303534047_thumb.g

post-11361-0-03007200-1303534060_thumb.g

post-11361-0-55506300-1303534071_thumb.g

post-11361-0-41668000-1303534090_thumb.g

temperatures are getting very warm and hot in the sunshine, with increasing humidity its likely to feel hot in some areas with surface heat building up some big storms and downpours with convergence breeze/hill and mountain effects setting up to further break out storms

post-11361-0-04390600-1303534241_thumb.g

post-11361-0-53379900-1303534471_thumb.p

dew points looking good - if you want thunderstorms!

post-11361-0-23393000-1303534626_thumb.p

next we take a look at NAE precipitation

post-11361-0-84942800-1303534668_thumb.g

post-11361-0-88513700-1303534755_thumb.g

post-11361-0-30888400-1303534808_thumb.g

and then GFS

post-11361-0-30409300-1303534895_thumb.g

post-11361-0-97098300-1303534924_thumb.g

next the convection index - looking quite exciting!

post-11361-0-33682400-1303534970_thumb.g

now we view the vertical velocity at 925

post-11361-0-67850200-1303535071_thumb.p

interesting..lets see how its develops, their be storms to day and big ones for sure, below ive posedt my thoughts on the risk areas, its my guide based on the data/charts posted

post-11361-0-95524900-1303535344_thumb.p

:drinks::clap::help: get those cameras set ready for action!!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm