Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

El Gordo! - Spanish Plume Thunderstorm Discussion 6

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Gahhhhhh, i want to post my video on YouTube but my video editing programme is broekn and I can't fix it :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

and more :)

do watch in hd and turn your sub on....lovely audio and video :)

Some great shots there Andy. Did I spot a GPA up the end of your house?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

El Gordo was not good to me. I took yesterday off and went into Cambridgeshire but finally called it a day at around 11pm. Storms then broke out across the east mids literally an hour after I left and it turns out today would have been the far better day to chase. I feel dejected but I'm not a selfish person and I'm happy that all those disappointed people in the SE were rewarded in the end.

As for me. I'll dust myself off and hope for better look next time. I'm hopefully getting some money soon and so i'm thinking euro chase. Are storms a bit more reliable there?

Edited by Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

The thunder is so loud! I'm loving all the videos.

When that falk lightning bolt went off, you could feel something hit you?? - then the bang!

Posted
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)
  • Location: Reading/West Berkshire/South Oxfordshire/Tilehurst border. (Purley-on-Thames)

Any thunder repoted on the narrow strip of rain just west of Reading? Can confirm thunder over here between 1-2PM BST. Some quite dark clouds north of me, but hardly black.

Edited by Skyscape

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

When that falk lightning bolt went off, you could feel something hit you?? - then the bang!

I'm sure that the recently deceased great actor would be honoured that lightning is being named after him.

'And just one more thing sir - Boom!'

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Dont quiet no what i`ve filmed here.....but it may be of interest to the peeps who were discussing the different directions of the clouds at various levels

It looks to me as the upper level clouds are rolling over the top of the lower southerly travelling lower clouds? this was taken this afternoon looking out West from Birmingham above the route of the M5

be interested to here opinions on whether this was influenced by any inflow/ outflow from the storms to our East :pardon:

accompanied by Zero 7/ Polaris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDOzuw81Es

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Supercells n snow

Disappointing day I guess here in Bucks, lol!

Woke up at 6:30am to loud thunder, couldn't get back to sleep (although tried sleeping until I got up at about half 7), there was damn all lightning when I was looking out the window, before the thunder too so not overly impressive....

Then at around 12 or 1pm, had a storm whilst was at work. Unfortunately the desk I was sitting at wasn't next to the window but my colleague opposite me said he saw no lightning out his window, despite the thunder sounding once every minute or so and being quite loud.

Tipped it down, rain was pretty heavy and huge puddles around, but still disappointing as missed the lightning I could've seen (if I was at home watching) so didn't even witness one flash. Pain in the neck that seeing as I was off yesterday and we all know what an utter failure was yesterday, (until things exploded in the Bay of Biscay towards nightfall).

Oh well, never mind, have to give myself a pat on my back though for being right again, am yet to see a belter of a thunderstorm for years, the last decent storm with frequent lightning I saw was in blooming August 2008 when at our friends in Phoenix, Arizona, USA. That's 3 years.

Before that it must've been about 2005 when I watched a belter of a storm with frequent lightning hit Bucks smack on as moved up from Northern France into England.

I guess I'll carry on being pessimistic but until I'm rewarded with a cracker of a storm, there's no point telling myself i'm in for a banger when the storm will either miss Bucks and hit Kent/Essex as per usual or simply dissipate over the channel (in the case of french imports).

Not a fan of hot weather but a part of me wants heat because the more heat, the more chance of storms, so bring it on for the rest of summer 2011!!!

Edited by UKSupercell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms

Hmmm that's weird, just started raining on Centre Court, play suspended but theres naff all on the radar lol.

Posted

Had a couple of hours of thunder and lightning on and off from late lunchtime on, with a few ground strikes close enough to smell,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms

Hmmm that's weird, just started raining on Centre Court, play suspended but theres naff all on the radar lol.

I have a view of Southwest London from here, and a good view of the Oval. Looks a bit misty/merky out there.

Posted

Finally a lovely storm, but at work so had to run for shelter when the lightning hissed at me and the hairs stood up on the back of my neck!!! My garden centre backs onto a golf course - the idiots were still playing, despite the course keeper closing up! luckily he lent us a big spongy roller thing as our roof gutters and drains were overwhelmed creating a waterfall inside the shop....groan!!! all the while we were mopping, i was missing the show!!!! hail of 1-2cm oval shapes at just after 1pm. Several bags of lawn dressing going cheap tomorrow methinks!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 22-38C in summer with storms, cold in winter with some snow/or 15-25C

So, thats it then, that was quite a line of storms and makes up for all the early furstration, for those who didn't get anything i'm sorry you didn't, for those for did it was quite something, can't wait for the next plume although beating that will take something amazing, today was the loudest thunder i've ever heard in the U.K!:yahoo:

Posted

IOW shows something about to cross the channel... a cheeky little evening lightshow? Really???!!!! Anyone wanna bet it hits the water and fizzles.......... like i'm about to after two nights of no sleep!!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow
Posted · Hidden by Kris T, June 28, 2011 - link did not work
Hidden by Kris T, June 28, 2011 - link did not work

Crank it up loud!!! BOOM!! A fantastic day all round :yahoo:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Hooray the IoW Storm Tracker is back up and looking rather spangly & pretty it has to be said!

Had an email from Shaun, the admin of the website with this message to let me know - maybe we should help him out seeing as it was possibly us lot that hammered the site! B)

"The isleofwightweather storm tracker is back on line.

The cost, just under £1,000.

Please support us by visiting our advertisers.

Many thanks,

Shaun Wheeler

Posted

IOW shows something about to cross the channel... a cheeky little evening lightshow? Really???!!!! Anyone wanna bet it hits the water and fizzles.......... like i'm about to after two nights of no sleep!!!!!

Doesn't really match anything on the radar all of which is moving NE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Dont quiet no what i`ve filmed here.....but it may be of interest to the peeps who were discussing the different directions of the clouds at various levels

It looks to me as the upper level clouds are rolling over the top of the lower southerly travelling lower clouds? this was taken this afternoon looking out West from Birmingham above the route of the M5

be interested to here opinions on whether this was influenced by any inflow/ outflow from the storms to our East :pardon:

accompanied by Zero 7/ Polaris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDOzuw81Es

Ive noticed this sky all day. Its had a very bumpy and turbulent look to it. Nice to see. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow

Crank it up loud!! BOOM!! :yahoo::drunk: A fantastic day all round after yesterday's frustrations.

Had some superb lightning and thunder with this bomb being the best..... :bomb:

Posted

Doesn't really match anything on the radar all of which is moving NE

Yeah - Blitzortung shows a bit of action but much more southerly than IOW... Still very humid here, clouds very low, but moving fast in a southerly direction and a yellowy tinge...... just maybe????!!!!!

Posted
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton
  • Location: Bedworth , 5 Miles North Of Coventry , 3 Miles South Of Nuneaton

o well done on missing them,, im glad mine done and over with and i can sleep tonight now

I wonder if we'd be the only ones if we started a ' We Don' t want storm thread ' ? :drinks:

more than likely but if we created a few hundred other identities I'm sure we could match the we want a storm thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Re. clouds moving in different directions, the clouds are steered by the wind direction at the altitude of the clouds themselves. The south-eastern half of Britain has had northerly or north-easterly surface winds today, but the upper level winds have actually been from the opposite direction- south/south-westerly- as a result of the advancing pool of cooler air from the north-west.

Check out the jetstream maps for example which clearly show upper winds from the SSW:

http://www.netweather.tv/gfsimages2/gfs.20110628/12/00/hgt300.png

Hence any low cloud has drifted from NNE-SSW while the frontal clouds and embedded cumulonimbus clouds above have drifted SSW-NNE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

1st Solo today. Managed to get the storm to my East, moving south to north. Passed withing a mile of my position. Well pleased. :clap:

post-6098-0-53022400-1309279221_thumb.jp post-6098-0-57404800-1309279228_thumb.jp

post-6098-0-38510900-1309279235_thumb.jp post-6098-0-41807200-1309279241_thumb.jp

post-6098-0-17850800-1309279253_thumb.jp

All Taken between 1 and 3 pm.

ooh lovely captures Dave good.gif

It's really strange, but I don't think I've actually seen a proper flash of lightning for at least 5 years, and that includes today unsure.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Is there anyway I can post a video on here directly from my laptop as YouTube doesn't want to let me upload it.