Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

UK Convective General Discussion & Forecasts

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Seems to be a dud for the SE then. As usual I suspect the electrical stuff will steer off into the Benelux.

Yeah things seems to be dying down now. Not picking up anything electrical now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Anybody hearing thunder around canterbury area? Radar picking up thundery activity around that area.

Edited by Lancashire Lass

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Missed out again, pretty much the story these last two ****** years!. The uk weather has certainly changed, I'm looking forward to another cold snowy nov/dec

Posted

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Lol seriously this country is Rank for Storms, you would think the Channel would be warm enough this time of year, Dp's across the SE Of 17c a little while ago as well. What are we going to blame this on now, have seen people on other forums saying the CF Is advancing quicker but it looks like it is still West of Dorset to me so cant blame it on that.

I stand by what I said a few days ago, something fundamentally has changed with the Set-Up of our Storms coming up from France over the last 10-15 years, even the MCS Of a few years ago initiated around the IOW. I am just glad I can get myself out to the USA For 2 months of the year where Storms have no such problem of initiating even in Temperatures of 12c in Colorado this May which went on to become Supercellular!

Posted

Channel killing it bad!!!!!! :/

Why does this keep happening? It must be what..... 4 or 5 years now since a decent import storm potential from France.

Seems the South East either has one or the other:

Decent snow amounts

or

Decent Summer storms

Seems it is good bye storms, hello snow...

Posted

I DO NOT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! Lol seriously this country is Rank for Storms, you would think the Channel would be warm enough this time of year, Dp's across the SE Of 17c a little while ago as well. What are we going to blame this on now, have seen people on other forums saying the CF Is advancing quicker but it looks like it is still West of Dorset to me so cant blame it on that.

I stand by what I said a few days ago, something fundamentally has changed with the Set-Up of our Storms coming up from France over the last 10-15 years, even the MCS Of a few years ago initiated around the IOW. I am just glad I can get myself out to the USA For 2 months of the year where Storms have no such problem of initiating even in Temperatures of 12c in Colorado this May which went on to become Supercellular!

I would agree with you there Paul, Something has definitely changed in the past 10 years or so... I remember in the early 90s having at least 5 or 6 Spanish Plooms a year! Now we only seem to manage 1 a year, and they only seem to last an evening, compared to 12 hours in the 1990s!

But then again, you have further proof of change... Just look at our winters, 3rd Severe one in a row! Can't wait for this one! But as much as I love snow (Name says it all really rofl.gif ) I want my childhood Nightime storms back!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Why does this keep happening? It must be what..... 4 or 5 years now since a decent import storm potential from France.

Seems the South East either has one or the other:

Decent snow amounts

or

Decent Summer storms

Seems it is good bye storms, hello snow...

Seems to be the case for all of the UK I'm afraid. We seem to sacrifice decent storms for decent snow and vice versa!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental. Dry air, storms and snow.

Looks heavy nr Calais!!

Takes me back to 1995, around September time too, working for Eurocamp near Calais. Went on to the early hours, one roll of thunder shook a light off one of the tent poles!!

Good times..RIP the all night t-storm cray.gif

Posted

to my surprise (as was looking for something else) - just saw lightning way out to my East - high up and very distant

(Chelmsford)

just checked MetO Radar and it just about exacty matches up to a "core" heading up - just off the coast

I'd guess around 40 miles away from here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Strange, there's lightning strikes all around me on NW radar, have just opened the window to see if I hear or see anything lol.

Posted

Seems to be the case for all of the UK I'm afraid. We seem to sacrifice decent storms for decent snow and vice versa!

And that leads me to the next big question:

If you had to sacrifice one weather extreme from another for the next... 10 years, what would you choose?

A decent dumping of snow in winter

or

a Summer of decent storms?

Posted

If you had to sacrifice one weather extreme from another for the next... 10 years, what would you choose?

or

Sack the snow, keep the storms!!

Posted

I agree with you Paul and i have been thinking it for a couple of years now. I have actually seen around 4 storms this year thats 4 more storms than the last couple of years. Damn when you were running the storm league table I believe I won it one year and came second on another now I get crap, and what I do get is not at all exciting, in fact the storms I have had this year are very poor really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

or

Decent storms, definitely. AS much as I love storms, snow has and always will be the one weather event I look forward to each year.

Edited by aaron

Posted

Maybe one of the guys at Reading or UEA Can look into this for a dissertation, there must be a reason, and Adi yes the South Central regulary won the Storm League Tables, they were as you would expect with C Southern, SE & East Anglia at the Top with the Midlands and Lincs in the Top 10 with other areas trailing way down the list. I also did the Snow League Tables and they were pretty much non existant for most winters, now would get buried (Pardon the Pun) with the Snow depths we have had the last few winters.

Total role reversal the last 5-10 years.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow

Decent storms, definitely. AS much as I love storms, snow has and always will be the one weather event I look forward to each year.

Same!!, With storms = Work next day, HEAVY deep snow = Work closed(for most)

Plus snow makes an ugly landscape look beautiful!

Posted

God what I would give for just one more storm before Autumn kicks in. Fair few strikes detected West of me towards Cambridge. Anyone confirm this visually? Clutching at straws here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Strange, there's lightning strikes all around me on NW radar, have just opened the window to see if I hear or see anything lol.

Yep, spotted that as well Jane...There are some showery outbreaks of rain around the west country and the west midlands, but as far as lightning goes, those detections look a bit sperious unless anyone can report otherwise? cc_confused.gif

Posted

Maybe one of the guys at Reading or UEA Can look into this for a dissertation, there must be a reason, and Adi yes the South Central regulary won the Storm League Tables, they were as you would expect with C Southern, SE & East Anglia at the Top with the Midlands and Lincs in the Top 10 with other areas trailing way down the list. I also did the Snow League Tables and they were pretty much non existant for most winters, now would get buried (Pardon the Pun) with the Snow depths we have had the last few winters.

Total role reversal the last 5-10 years.

Good idea about the dissertation, come on guys what you say, do a useful dissertation and find the answer. I wonder if it because the gulf steam has shifted and weakened. Or the fact that the earth's magnetic field is in fluctuation.

I am not to sure about this but I have a feeling that the tornado, water spout location has moved too. The Isle of Wight used to have loads of water spouts each year, I don't hear of hardly any nowadays. Although there was a tornado in Bognor earlier in the year but little else.

Edited by Adi F

Posted

or

Storms without a doubt ,snow just looks monotonous after a day or two,and it becomes a nusiance,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms

or

I'd sacrifice the snow I'm afraid - much as it looks lovely when it first falls, it soon becomes a disgusting grey mushy mess. I'd happily give up snow for the next 10 yrs just to get our night storms back again (could I have the occasional hard frost instead of snow?) :D

Posted

We were told storms would be more regular and more severe in 2000's by the MMGW lot, they said this in the eighties and ninties on numerous ocasions , even the warming trends are reversing, they still wont have it though will they? And I remember them saying that by 2010 theron it will be possible for vinyards in Lancashire, Laughed at it then and I am laughing it now, The global warming brigade are about to get egg on their faces imo

Edited by IanR

Posted

Lightning just outside Great Yarmouth at the moment, I'm away for a few days so its a nice surprise.