Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Ex Ts Katia To Hit The UK - Chat Thread

Posted

Just been reading the last dozen or so pages of posts since yesterday & there's some ridiculous over the top posting going on in here...A reality check is seriously required by some folk!....The reality is a deep, but not unusually deep Autumnal low will bring wind and rain to the northern UK, whilst further south it'll be in most likely hood breezy with occasional rain and blustery showers.......Comparing this with the 1987 storm is ludicrous...They share virtually nothing in common, there's nearly 1000 miles difference between 1987 storm track and the most predicted strack for this system....We get Hurricane remnants every year I think affecting the UK, so nothing out of the ordinary really!

Thank you for saying what I have quietly been thinking while biting my tongue. Personally I wish we could just keep this topic on topic, ie: Just about ex t/s Katia, and not every which 'blow' since the year god knows when.

Posted

Seems like the southern event for Sunday though is very localised down the channel, dosn't look so strong inland. There's alot of fluctuation on Katia actually there has definately been alot of suggestion that it could come south but the likelyhood is it wont, but if Scotland has 80-100mph winds then the south would still feel the outer effects of it so 50mph or so still a probability, I remember we had that when Scotland had that big storm back in Jan '05.

I remember the storm here in Jan 2005 this was before I moved up here in February 2005 there were quite a few lives lost and very severe damage. My now next door neighbour had one of her windows blow out. I would hate to have a repeat performance of that storm system.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales/storms, snow, thunder!

I remember the storm here in Jan 2005 this was before I moved up here in February 2005 there were quite a few lives lost and very severe damage. My now next door neighbour had one of her windows blow out. I would hate to have a repeat performance of that storm system.

Dont think it'll get quite that bad, but might not be far off during it's peak!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hi all, not posted here in ages, been busy after becoming a daddy for the first time smile.png

Looks like a exciting spell of weather coming up, I love wet and windy weather, as long as everyone stays safe good.gif

Edited by Stormeh

Posted

Hi all, not posted here in ages, been busy after becoming a daddy for the first time smile.png

Looks like a exciting spell of weather coming up, I love wet and windy weather, as long as everyone stays safe good.gif

Congratulationsdrinks.gif

Posted

I've posted a new thread dedicated to more in depth discussion and forecasts around Katia so this thread can stay as a more chatty thread - hopefully we'll then have the best of both worlds

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/70950-ex-katia-uk-bound-forecasts-and-in-depth-discussion/

Posted

Thank you for saying what I have quietly been thinking while biting my tongue. Personally I wish we could just keep this topic on topic, ie: Just about ex t/s Katia, and not every which 'blow' since the year god knows when.

to be fair, i agree with AJ, this storm will probably end up nothing unusual. however, don't knock people's enthusiasm for the weather, after all, its why we are all on this forum!

Posted

jeesus flip! I dont know what the windspeeds will be over the north on the 18z gfs, but it looks pretty potent..

I make that a mean wind speed on the north coast of Ireland, and then across scotland of 60mph, gusts to over 100mph and probably then some ..

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

jeesus flip! I dont know what the windspeeds will be over the north on the 18z gfs, but it looks pretty potent..

I make that a mean wind speed on the north coast of Ireland, and then across scotland of 60mph, gusts to over 100mph and probably then some ..

Yes, again reiterating that Tuesday's blow saw gusts far less than wind speed forecast for this weekend and there were numerous large branches down around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

GFS 18z showing Katia as a potent autumn storm on a similar track as previous, Northern England, N Ireland and Scotland are probably looking at a spell of severe gales come Monday with gales further south.

Storm force winds likely on Atlantic coasts over Ireland and west Scotland.

Of course there could be more twists and turns...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Thanks for the congrats :p, these sleepless nights are great... not!

The 18z GFS shows very severe gales are gonna affect many parts of Northern UK :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

GFS 18z

wind surface chart for sunday0000hrs(saturday into sunday)

look at the power of wind hitting west Ireland, 45kts and thats beffore Kat

post-11361-0-23669700-1315528412_thumb.g

post-11361-0-15751600-1315528417_thumb.g

45kts around 50mph

http://weather.org/conversion.htm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

So it is likely to be a very windy period for every region, some areas expect some damage, dont take this lightly! all main models indicate the possibilitys of severe wind strength for the North and very windy for the South, i would imagine with trees in leaf then the South would also see tree damage, in winter trees can handle 50-60mph but at this time of year the trees can get a harder push so acting like 70-80mph!

Posted

Breaking News.....Intense hurricane Katia is forecast to strike Scotland as a tropical storm at about 16:00 GMT on 12 September

Intense hurricane Katia is forecast to strike Scotland as a tropical storm at about 16:00 GMT on 12 September.Data supplied by theUS National Hurricane Centersuggest that the point of landfallwill benear58.9 N,8.1 W.Katia is expected to bring 1-minute maximum sustained winds to the region of around111 km/h (69 mph).Wind gusts in the area maybeconsiderably higher.

The information above is provided for guidance only and should not be used to make life or death decisions or decisions relating to property. Anyone in the region who is concerned for their personal safety or property should contact their official national weather agency or warning centre for advice.

This alert is provided by TropicalStorm Risk (TSR) which is sponsored by Benfield, Royal & SunAlliance,Crawford & Company and University College London (UCL). TSR acknowledges thesupport of the UK Met Office

http://www.trust.org...n-12-september/

Posted

Here she is on late wednesday-Hurricane Katia

post-11361-0-89473300-1315534742_thumb.j

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted

585321main_4%20ATLANTICSTORMS-GOES-LARGE-labeled.jpg

satellite took a stunning image of 4 tropical systems in the Atlantic today, Sept. 8, 2011. Hurricane Katia in the western Atlantic between Bermuda and the U.S. East coast; Tropical Storm Lee's remnants affecting the northeastern U.S.; Tropical Storm Maria in the central Atlantic; and newborn Tropical Storm Nate in the Bay of Campeche, Gulf of Mexico. (Credit: NASA/NOAA GOES Project)

-

And a stunning totally amazing image there! NASA/NOAA thankyou!!

http://www.nasa.gov/...2011_Katia.html

hope its photographed from above like this when it hits our shores, im sure there do one for us!

Edited by ElectricSnowStorm

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

GFS doesn't alter the path very much ECM brings the low further south with the strongest winds across southern Scotland and north Midlands northwards. Now just being briefly mentioned on forecasts which indicates a lack of conviction at the moment over the exact path.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms

I suspect that the metoffice will issue a weather alert today covering Sunday evening and for Monday. I suspect this will be for severe gales covering an area extending from NI to north Wales and areas further north. I wonder will they mention the possibility of storm force gusts for NW NI.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

beco.org.uk have now issued a GSW (Gale Storm Warning)...

4303212.jpg?389

That's rather worrying for those in the north.

Ian Ferguson has just tweeted that the latest meto charts have deepened this storm a further 10mb

Edited by Rich_Clements

Posted

rolleyes.gif The media have started:

The sheer force of Hurricane Katia may hit western Ireland and north-west Scotland next Monday and Tuesday, US forecasters predict. Winds of up to 90mph could cause a risk to shipping off the west coast of Ireland on Monday. Katia will then reach Scotland and the Orkney Islands by Tuesday, according to the US National Hurricane Center in Miami. Forecasters expect little change in its strength as the Gulf Stream propels the storm across the Atlantic. The hurricane was tracking off the west coast of Bermuda in the Atlantic Ocean.

A spokesman for the Met Office said weather experts were ‘keeping a close eye’ on Katia’s progress. He added: ‘It’s too early to say where it’s going to go but we’re constantly monitoring the situation and advising people to stay up to date with the forecasts.’ Deadly swells generated by Katia will hit the US east coast, Bermuda and the Bahamas during the next couple of days.

http://www.metro.co....s#ixzz1XRIj4TyC

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

So the gulf stream is bringing it here? I though it was the jet stream!! :)

Posted

So the gulf stream is bringing it here? I though it was the jet stream!! smile.png

It might be the Sodastream, but it's on its way!

sodastream.jpg

Posted

Apart from their confusion about the Gulf Stream and Jet Stream, it's not that sensationalist until the 'deadly swells' part.

I'm looking forward to a blustery day; isn't it going to be windier than what they got in New York with Irene, especially in the north-west...