Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Put Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted

Oh dear, the utilities companies are struggling, in part because we aren't putting our heating on yet!!! :acute:

British Gas owner Centrica blamed the UK's weak economy and recent spells of unusually warm weather as it issued a profits warning.

Centrica now expects group operating profits for 2011 will be "marginally lower" than market expectations of £2.6bn, but that they will still be up on last year's £2.4bn figure. Analysts at UBS forecast that profits at British Gas will fall 26pc from £742m for 2010 to £552m for 2011. The consensus forecast had been for a smaller drop to £600m.

However the milder weather seen so far this year and energy efficiency improvements meant that average consumption by residential customers are so far this year 17pc lower for gas and 3pc lower for electricity, Centrica reported. Meanwhile, the company said, wholesale gas prices are up 26pc this winter, which together with other rising costs meant that the British Gas residential business had been loss-making from April.

http://www.telegraph...it-profits.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme aside from heat. Pref cold and snow

Well, heating went on last night, but only for an hour or so to boost the kids rooms (gets cold in there). Ahh poor utility companies, my heart really bleeds...unlike my radiators lol

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

It's only on a couple of hours in the morning and evening, nothing the rest of the time, and often a bit too warm (21c) while it is on!

Posted

We used ours for a little while the past couple of evenings, we would have used it for a few evenings before that too but it stopped working. repair man come and it turned out to be the thermostat...

... Nobody told us it took batteries! :doh:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

... Nobody told us it took batteries! :doh:

I hope that didn't turn out to be an expensive mistake? Did he charge a callout fee?

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

ours is still not on - was chilly this morning but really the days are still so mild . reckon it will be december this year before we switch on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Have not put heating on yet, and I don't think I will be in the foreseeable future!

Live in a flat so it would have to be proper cold for me to put the heating on! On chilly nights, I just lean against the wall and make use of the neighbours heating!! Lol!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Was on this morning.. just felt so chilly, and jumpers are very unfashionable! (I kid, I kid).

Seriously though, I put my heating on a lot.. too much I think. But hey, I'm not harming anyone.

Edited by Aaron

Posted

Ohh gosh, I've suddenly gone all Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen darlings!!! :air_kiss:

How to make your home cosy for winter

Tis the season to be inundated with house guests. As a nation, we have admitted spending £5 billion a year trying to create the perfect “hometel†to impress people who come to stay, and most of the wallet-dipping goes on in the weeks before Christmas.

But a sense of comfort and security is the biggest luxury of all right now, so why not forget the chocolates-on-pillows approach and just create a good old-fashioned cosy atmosphere where everyone, including you, can really feel at home? Invest wisely and bringing out the blanket box and winter bulbs could become as warming a tradition as unwrapping the Christmas decorations.

WARMTH

Fuel costs are through the roof and we’re in for another freeze, but it’s the perfect excuse for Strictly-watching and crumpet-toasting by the fireside. Once you’ve created the heat you need to keep it in. Draught excluders also do cost-effective work (look in Homebase and Debenhams), but your curtain choice is really key. “Using thermally lined or interlined curtains is one of the easiest and least expensive ways to keep the home cosy,†says David Adea ne, co-founder of The Natural Curtain Company. “Thermal curtains can retain 30 per cent of energy lost through windows, and a thick cotton interlining makes curtains hang better too.â€

LIGHTING

The winter impulse is to dim the lights, but it often results in a flat, cold light. John Cullen Lighting has a new LED downlight with “AmbiDim†technology to produce soft, warm light at all levels of brightness, meaning that the room can be cosy both when you’re reading or having a romantic dinner

COLOUR

Gentle greys and heather shades are the new neutral palette. “Natural colours are timeless and they also help to create a tranquil feel,†explains Chrissie Rucker, founder of The White Company. These shades look just as serene and stylish as winter white, and are an ideal canvas for either minimalist white fairy lights or for shots of richer maroon, plum and tangerine.

TEXTURE

There are tactile treasures aplenty in the shops at the moment – many with a crafty-knits vibe.

“By using different weights and weaves of fabric, you can animate a room,†Chrissie Rucker advises. “Playing with contrasting textures adds instant depth, warmth and visual interest. A soft throw on the back of a sofa will instantly make a room cosier.†Not to mention being a handy, snugly layer in the living room.

CHARACTER

Bringing a sense of the outdoors indoors makes you feel even more cosseted. The owl, fox and badger motifs running amok in home-furnishing departments would ordinarily make you run a mile, but “kitschmas†makes them oddly appealing. Antlers say winter like nothing else: if you can’t brave reindeer cushions, Habitat’s 'Steen’ silver stag candle snuffer, might tempt you.

http://www.telegraph...for-winter.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

When i was growing up we were never allowed the heating on until after my birthday (24th october) and even after that they would put it on reluctantly. i applied the same rule in my own house :diablo:

It comes on at 5am until 9am then goes back on at 4pm unil 1am. We often end up putting it on continuous.

I never understand why people say to go put a jacket on if you're cold. Putting a cardigan on is fine, but you shouldn't have to sit in your own house in winter gear just to be warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

6am-7:30am and 5pm-10:30pm weekdays

8:30am-10am and then again whenever we're sat in the house at weekends.

Set at just shy of 21c. Living room usually around 15-16c at 5pm when it comes on taking 2 or so hours to get to temperature. But that's with the recent fairly mild weather of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I heat my living room to 18C, the hallway and kitchen to 13C and take the bedroom up to around 16C before bed and then switch off. I never used to bother heating in the morning but having just been laid off I now just stay in my bedroom until midday watching telly, then workout in my cool living room in the afternoons (which is great because I sweat like crazy).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

To the people who only put the heating on in the morning and evening: what happens if the temperature rises in the evening, often when the next day is going to be milder?

Edited by Tellow

Posted

I never understand why people say to go put a jacket on if you're cold. Putting a cardigan on is fine, but you shouldn't have to sit in your own house in winter gear just to be warm.

i wouldnt sit in my coat and a hat in the lounge. but i think its fair to expect to wear wolly jumpers and thick socks inside in the winter - can never understand why some people want to walk around in shorts and t shirt in December and heat their house to 25 degrees as i know many do. No wonder their bills are sky high.

Posted

To the people who only put the heating on in the morning and evening: what happens if the temperature rises in the evening, often when the next day is going to be milder?

Erm.... the room thermostat reaches a warm temp and turns the heating off. Simples!

In August we had new loft insulation installed and cavity wall insulation - although it hasn't been overly cold yet this winter, the house is definitely staying warm longer and the heating is clicking off earlier and staying off. A valuable spend in the Summer i think.

In fact, a couple of evenings i've come home from work, and as soon as i step inside it's really warm and the heating needs to go off. Some mornings it's only stayed on for 30 to 40 mins before automatically clicking off.

Nice! - save on bills this winter i hope

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

The heating system doesn't work as hard essentially... Yesterday was a good example - it was 15.5c when it went on and made it to 20-21c around 7pm. Then heating then came on maybe once for 15 mins or so during the evening. On a cold evening it'd be on for much longer. I think this question depends how well your house holds the heat. Mine doesn't very well.

i wouldnt sit in my coat and a hat in the lounge. but i think its fair to expect to wear wolly jumpers and thick socks inside in the winter - can never understand why some people want to walk around in shorts and t shirt in December and heat their house to 25 degrees as i know many do. No wonder their bills are sky high.

No 25c heating is horrible. But I'm currently sat in t-shirt, trousers, socks and slippers. I could lower the temperature and sit in a jumper/thick socks but this would leave my hands and nose icy cold if I sit for long enough. Plus if I'm in a jumper, the missus is in seven jumpers & eight scarfs!

Thing is its easier to tolerate lower temperatures if you're active. I don't heat my house to 21c when I intend to do a lot of housework but I will heat it to 21c if I'm sat watching Frozen Planet....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

No. Stuff the gas companies. Am using candles.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Because it is more comfortable to walk around in shorts and t-shirts then wearing itchy wooly jumpers? If I am cold I am not going to put on thick clothing indoors.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

We have the reassuring hum of heating this morning..........as we've had almost every day since June because of the god-awful weather this year. Single figures every month. Even the supposedly mild autumn didn't help; sure we didn't have the subzero temperatures we normally get but the daytime maxima never really crawled above 8 or 9C........which is damned chilly! And this morning there is snow on the ground :)

<goes to light the log stove>

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

It went back on during and after the cold front when strong winds and cold rain got us at 3c and on the EDGE OF SLEET...

Now 5c and sunny after a clear night and the heating goes off as the winds decease and as does any rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We have had the heating on since end of October, 6:45-8:00am weekdays and 6:30-9:00pm in the evenings. Oh and I love sitting next to the radiator with a pillow :)

Posted

My house looses roughly 1c an hour under the current conditions without heating slowly leveling off towards the low teens. Under these conditions it has to be on an hour before getting home and remaining so until we go to bed or it just gets too cold.