Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Have You Put Your Heating On Yet ?

stewfox

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Heating gone on this evening! Can any tell me if it is cheaper to have CH on constant but low, or on timed to come on twice (am and pm) with thermostat at 20oC? Heard it takes alot of energy to get house at required temp when on timed where as it doesn't if it is on low and clicking in all the time when it hits say 15oC!! Hope this makes sense! By the way had loft and walls done in the summer with help of goverment grant, hopefully will make some difference!! (Heating and hot water run on oil)

We currently have our central heating set to come on for 2 hours in morning and 2 hours in the evening. . When it gets a lot colder we have it on constantly with the thermostat set low.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

We currently have our central heating set to come on for 2 hours in morning and 2 hours in the evening. . When it gets a lot colder we have it on constantly with the thermostat set low.

Same here.... then boost it up with the stat when needed and turn it down on warmer days.

We are double glazed and insulated to the rafters, got the best possible deals on gas and electricity prices too !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

As of this week our runs for about 1.5 hours in the morning to raise temps from around 15.5c just before it comes on to just 20c by time it goes off. By the time I head off for work its already dropping fast until we get an hour or so of sun to hold it before falling away again. Heating is now on - was 16.3c on arrival from work.

Generally it stays on all eve while we're in on thermostat (at 21c but its very very inaccurate but I aim for 20.5c) then off a while before bed. Letting the whole building get cold is worse than keeping it warm I'm told but I think that might depend how much your house leaks heat away. Here we're detached, have solid walls (no cavity wall) part double glazed (very thin though) and we had loft insulation put in last winter. As good as it'll get but definitely not a warm building!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

the sitting room is currently 17.0 and I havent yet felt the need to put a jumper. I may need to put one on later as its now clear outside but I dont think the heating will need to be turn on just yet.

Posted

Windswept what is the coolest for putting heating on?

In my flat in the living it is nwo 17.5c with no heating but need a jumper .I usually put heating on a bit if temp under 17c just at night when back home.

In the Paris suburbs min temps are forecasted to be round 2 nearing zero in far suburbs especially friday ans saturday morning. May have to turn it on in the evening.

Also what is the cheaper in uk gas or electricity? Here in France for small flats it may be electricity but definitively gas for a house is cheaper.

Oil is the most expensive.

I think we got one of the cheapest electricity in europe thanks ( or because of) to nuclear but every year it is rising sharply

Posted

I have got the back door shut (well, it's slighty ajar) tonight ....... ohmy.png

(I usually on put the heating on when it drops below 12c in the living room - thermostat is only set at 15c - a degree below historical normal room temp - anyway)

Edited by Essan

Starting to cool off down here now after about 3 weeks hovering mostly the 30C for max temps but they are down to about 20'ish now. The temperature in our lounge is about 23C but that is feeling slightly cool for me, so later I will put on just the heater in the lounge for a couple of hours or so. We have an air to air heat pump which only costs about a third of the normal price in fuel bills and that doubles as air con for the hot weather.

When it does get colder we will consider lighting the wood burning stove - this shoves out a fantastic amount of heat which will warm up the whole house without having to put on any other heating. As it is we had our house well insulated which is a protection against the heat as well as the cold. The water is heated by solar panels on the roof. Since our house is virtually a re-build we thought it made sense to incorporate these things during the renovation stage.

Posted

Heating has just gone on. We have put it off all week and enough is enough. Looking at the weekend charts I can see it going off again for a while.

In my flat in the living it is nwo 17.5c with no heating but need a jumper .I usually put heating on a bit if temp under 17c just at night when back home.

In the Paris suburbs min temps are forecasted to be round 2 nearing zero in far suburbs especially friday ans saturday morning. May have to turn it on in the evening.

Also what is the cheaper in uk gas or electricity? Here in France for small flats it may be electricity but definitively gas for a house is cheaper.

I think we got one of the cheapest electricity in europe thanks ( or because of) to nuclear but every year it is rising sharply

http://meteo.orange....pestang-34.html

Capestang cooled down quite a bit from last week's 30C - see post #211 before your's re what we have done - all electric - standing order 50€ pm to EDF covers electricty and that is for a 3 double bedroomed house, about 110 square metres (habitable).

House in the UK is smaller, solid walls but have double glazing, but not so well insulated as the one at Capestang, and here we use gas for heating and cooking and electricity for everything else - combined bill is approx £1500 pa. Since we are not comparing like for like with gas and electricity it is hard to say which would be cheapest, though I believe the gas is still for heating but I don't know if this will last.

Edited by mike Meehan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

my heating is on tonight... was 17c when i got in but i like it at 20c.... no more...so its on... with that nice smell of cooking rad dust!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

the sitting room is currently 17.0 and I havent yet felt the need to put a jumper. I may need to put one on later as its now clear outside but I dont think the heating will need to be turn on just yet.

It is getting cooler and the misses asked if she could put the heating on? I said she could get some candles out. If gets realy cold, I said she can light them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Are people still taking advantage of subsidies and grants for roof and cavity wall insulation?

https://www.governme...on-grants.shtml

https://www.governme...on-grants.shtml

Yep!

Had ours done in August, courtesy of Eon and the govt. - not on benefits or low income so paid £150 for the lot - good deal me thinks - the co. that came to do it said if i'd asked for it all to be done via them 'privately', so to speak, would've cost about £500. They were v professional, courteous and tided up after - good job.

All radiators bled - i have my heating guy coming on Saturday morning to service the boiler and flush the system out, incl. radiators.

Heating has gone on this eve though for 1st time since early April - been on a couple of hours - but it's stifling so i've just switched it off.

Edited by Bristle boy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

Still havent put my heating on..even though the outside temp hit -10c on Saturday night..im trying to make it to 1st Nov before i do..inside temp is generally between 11-16c dependant on how much sun we get..which is getting less and less as the days shorten.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Living in Edmonton must really make your blood 10x thicker!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Heating turned up to 18 degrees! Currently just under 6c outside but a nice toasty 20c inside :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

No heating yet...we're students though so it won't be going on until the insides of the windows are freezing up biggrin.png

As student at Ports Poly Jan 87 had no heating in my room just a stupid inadequate small portable heater. wore six jumpers and had ice on inside of the window. Was there in Feb 86 as well happy times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Personally I would leave the heating off until the room temperature dropped to around 12/13C, the mrs will put it on at about 15C if she is in. I would say its hard to say which is the cheapest means to heat a house in the UK, so many variables involved but probably mains gas edging it still.

Pleased to say without heating (or cavity insulation - another story) the sitting room has maintained its temperature of 17C up until the last 45 mins where it has now dipped to 16C so no jumper required tonight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Just shy of 20c here after heating. 4c outside so does take some power to keep it comfortable. Do some of you really find sub 15c comfortable *sitting* temperature? Sure its great for walking, running, cleaning, hoovering but can you sit still watching a long film at that temp? Under a big duvet wrapped in clothes and socks maybe...

Posted

we had the heat on for the second time this evening for an hour. If it was up to me and we had the money it would be on constant from end of september to end of march every year lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Still resisting the pressure from the rest of the family, although temp in upstairs room with indoor guage showing 12.9c, so I guess I'll have to give in soon !!! (we have a wood burner downstairs but the rest of the house maybe a little chilly just now !!!)

Edited by Pennine Ten Foot Drifts

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Have electric storage heaters in my apartment. Put them on this evening for the first time this Autumn in preparation for the chilly night ahead. Still 21C inside now though, so may not even need it.

Posted

I have no heating so im currently sat with 7 layers on ,2 hats and a scarve.Going to have to sort out hrating before winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

I woke up to 11.9C in my bedroom this morning. I never heat my bedroom any way. Last winter the lowest it got was 6C and was never once cold in bed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: January 1987 / July 2006

I woke up to 11.9C in my bedroom this morning. I never heat my bedroom any way. Last winter the lowest it got was 6C and was never once cold in bed.

Erm.......were you sleeping next to Jack Frost.

We put the heating on for the first time last night. If you wish to dry clothes and avoid damp then you simply have to have it on for a little bit each day (when it is cold).