First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

well it feels it outside, even saw people in shorts, but I do hope 12Z GFS comes off, will be very cold then but no snow, maybe even ice days after friday

:rofl: Are you sure your in the UK right now? :lol:

Rain stopped here now. Dewpoint at 2.3c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

I don't want to put up my tree until I at least get a frost...what a difference a year makes! My tree was delayed last year because it was too snowy and icy to drive to pick it up! This is not nice at all. 8 degrees here right now, just rained a bit. Is that as wintery as it gets?

I'm still waiting for this cold spell, shockingly mild here,

lol you didnt have to wait long, i'm southeast of you and temps are down to 4C now, the cold arctic air is moving southeastwards this evening/overnight, more patience needed from you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

lol you didnt have to wait long, i'm southeast of you and temps are down to 4C now, the cold arctic air is moving southeastwards this evening/overnight, more patience needed from you :)

Ok i'll wait :)

Was looking at the forecast for next weekend - Wind Direction is looking to change from friday evening onwards with north easterly on their forecasting models - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Snowing :drinks:

Posted

Temperatures holding steady at around 4-5C this evening so far. Dew points seem to have stabilsed around 3-4C as well.

A chilly night in prospect...but certainly not a frozen one.

Precipitation seems to have died off over most of Wales and the north Midlands for now. So the Clee Hill snow and the odd sleety splats on the windscreen will be as good as it gets for me I reckon.

However, for those north of Lancashire...hopefully it'll be a good night for you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

When I saw that Blizzards was reporting the odd wet snowflake falling within the rain, I found an excuse to go outside into the back garden (with the security light on), and spend the last 15 minutes watching the rain fall, hoping to see a hint of sleetiness to it. I tried observing as many raindrops as I could seeing how they were falling, whether any were falling slower than usual, and whether any took on an icy or flakey appearance.

Interestingly, when the rain got a little bit heavier, there did look as though their may have been the odd wet flakey appearance to one or two of the raindrops. And I couldn't help but feel that the odd rain drop here and there were falling a bit slower than they should be falling. It could just be a result of me over analysing the rain so hard (he hee), but it did certainly feel rather cold out their! :)

Then again, looking at the Netweather Extra Snow Risk forecast for here, the dewpoint around 18:00pm was supposed to be around 2.8*C (which may have been too high to allow sleet or snow to fall, even though their still looked like their may have been a very slight sleetiness to the rain). Did also show the snow risk chance to be 6% for 6pm.

Edited by Rainbow Snow

Temperatures holding steady at around 4-5C this evening so far. Dew points seem to have stabilsed around 3-4C as well

Yes but they will both drop as the night progresses, over 12 hours of cooling left, a breeze will stop them going too low though but temps slightly above 0C and below in rural areas is nothing to be sniffed at, we arent under any anticyclone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Blizzard conditions here in Shetland at the moment, about 2 cms come down in the last hour. Just drove back from Lerwick had to take it very easy, visibility right down and heavy, driving snow with huge flakes! :)

Edited by GWW

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had snow this morning and that was it. But its still lying and has frozen all crisp and crunchy, temps sitting on zero.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any weather will do.

Sleet and wet snow showers at sea level on the East coast of N.Ireland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Best we enjoy the cold spell beginning of this week because apart from a possible few days end of the week the ensembles collapse any high quickly with the atlantic steam rolling in flattening the pattern into a zonal westerly.

ecmwf sucks, but GFS would gives us inversion type cold for a few days at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

It was sleeting a min ago turning to snow in Dronfield North East Derbyshire just got back from Buxton and the cat and fiddle where there was a covering of wet/slushy snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

-1.5C here. Only the slightest dusting of snow but I'm just enjoying having the first subzero temperatures since March :)

Had a lovely blizzard-kissed drive home from Inverness this afternoon :)

ecmwf sucks, but GFS would gives us inversion type cold for a few days at least

Yes ecmwf does suck not as much as BOM 12Z though, TBH i would take GFS 12Z OP tonight over any run BUT the GFS 12Z ensembles show quite alot of runs that push HP even further south letting in westerlies, looks like the jet might prove too strong for even GFS 12Z OP to come off, hopefully the models are overdoing the strength of the jet but the danger signs are definately there that it might increase the strength as we get nearer.

Posted

it's between and 5 and 6c over the last hour or so now rising 5.8c.

Now I know the chances of wintry precipitation are only very marginal for this area but with the -5 uppers soon to be on there way you'd like to think that things would get cooler but no real sign of that at the minute.

Grrrrrgh, this is so frustrating

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Looks like some showers getting going nicely across North Wales again now. Hopefully a few could blow this way overnight and deliver those first flakes of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/stormy

Well, got no hopes down in west london but a decent frost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Still snowing here, currently 5cms of lying snow. Temp -1.6C, Dew -2.1C, wind chill -4.9C

Posted

Judging by the latest radar, I certainly wouldnt rule out some sleet and snow showers for the West Midlands tonight. There is one around Ludlow now thats quite moderate in intensity and has actually recently intensified!!! Plus there is a nice constant stream of showers developing in NW Wales. :)