46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Met office talk of the odd wintry shower tonight for my area (East mids/East anglia border) though obviously chances are so small I wont lose any sleep over it. Temps still pretty high in some heavy rain at 6.7 degrees falling slowly, and dew points at 2.2 degrees, a long way to go before its cool enough for anything at all wintry.

Anybody tell me what ideal is for dew point and what significance this has on snow? Thanks

Indeed, higher humidity levels decreases the chance of snow.

You can calculate the probability of snow at a temperature and certain humidity and also find out the melting air temp for that % humidity with this calculator.

http://www.sciencebi...obCalc&calc=yes

Edited by Tellow

Posted

Indeed, higher humidity levels decreases the chance of snow.

You can calculate the probability of snow at a temperature and certain humidity and also find out the melting air temp for that % humidity with this calculator.

http://www.sciencebi...obCalc&calc=yes

that is a start tellow but its rather more complex than that, have a try with the Net Wx Guides, how to forecast snow?

Posted

This is torture! :p

6C here. No chance of anything here at all I don't think..

We've already had sleet up at Corley, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility. :)

Posted

Met office talk of the odd wintry shower tonight for my area (East mids/East anglia border) though obviously chances are so small I wont lose any sleep over it. Temps still pretty high in some heavy rain at 6.7 degrees falling slowly, and dew points at 2.2 degrees, a long way to go before its cool enough for anything at all wintry.

Anybody tell me what ideal is for dew point and what significance this has on snow? Thanks

see my other post(No369)

Td at or below 0C for any real chance of snow, either showers or frontal but try the link I've given see what it suggests, you will have to use Net Wx Extra for some of the parametrs I think?

Edited by johnholmes

Posted

All this talk of white stuff makes me want to stay up all night on lampost watch :fool:

Just to watch it rain :sorry:

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

I doubt if there will be any settling ppn, more of a flurry or two if anything...Elevation is not on our side (about 100m asl)

AJ - weren't you one of the mods on the Midlands thread last winter? Any chance you can use your influence to get it re-opened soon?

Fizz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

All this talk of white stuff makes me want to stay up all night on lampost watch :fool:

Just to watch it rain :sorry:

Back to the 4am old days stuff ?

Too low in elevation and too far south for any interest for me

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

AJ - weren't you one of the mods on the Midlands thread last winter? Any chance you can use your influence to get it re-opened soon?

Fizz

Yes I was, and the bad news is that I'm about to be resurrected... :lol: ....Re. opening the midlands thread, the consensus is that it doesn't quite warrant opening right now, but watch this space in the coming days :)

Edited by ajpoolshark

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Very little in the way of snow here today, a light dusting this morning but nothing since. Looks like there could be some sonow overnight however, and tomorrow into Tuesday is looking like it could be interesting! Currently 0.7C, Dew -2.4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

I think there is the odd very wet snowflake in the mix here. Might be wrong but appears to be something a little more to the rain.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

8c here slightly depressing that its so warm here. :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

I'm still waiting for this cold spell, shockingly mild here, but looks good for a good cold spell from next friday, with high pressure centering over us after a noertherly, next weekend then potentially very cold and clear frosty foggy for the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!

Yes I was, and the bad news is that I'm about to be resurrected... :lol: ....Re. opening the midlands thread, the consensus is that it doesn't quite warrant opening right now, but watch this space in the coming days :)

Ah ok. Try and get them to hurry though - when you're reading this thread through the mobile site you can't see who's where, and when they say 'we've got a few flakes coming down' you don't know whether to get hopeful/excited or not! Lol

Fizz

Posted

Turning very wet here...but looking at the radar precipitation will be ending soon then that will be it for a while.

Which begs the question...if it can clear after this heavy rain, could ice become a real threat tonight?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

I'm still waiting for this cold spell, shockingly mild here, but looks good for a good cold spell from next friday, with high pressure centering over us after a noertherly, next weekend then potentially very cold and clear frosty foggy for the south

Turn your central heating off and poke your head out of the door Mark!...It is not 'shockingly mild' !! :rolleyes: ...Four local weather stations are reporting temps between 3-4C with dewpoints between 1.5C & 3C, in my book that's decidedly chilly!...

..ok, current conditions (about 4 miles away from the 'shockingly mild' conditions reported in Stafford!) I can report that a visual inspection of the 'Lamp post' weather station shows blobs of sleety stuff blown in a stiff gusty breeze, and an inspection of the car weatherstation, aka the windscreen, showed blobs of a 'splatty' nature

Posted

Must be sleet up on Clent and Lickey by now I would have thought. Maybe even on some of the highest built up areas around here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Turn your central heating off and poke your head out of the door Mark!...It is not 'shockingly mild' !! :rolleyes: ...Four local weather stations are reporting temps between 3-4C with dewpoints between 1.5C & 3C, in my book that's decidedly chilly!...

..ok, current conditions (about 4 miles away from the 'shockingly mild' conditions reported in Stafford!) I can report that a visual inspection of the 'Lamp post' weather station shows blobs of sleety stuff blown in a stiff gusty breeze, and an inspection of the car weatherstation, aka the windscreen, showed blobs of a 'splatty' nature

well it feels it outside, even saw people in shorts, but I do hope 12Z GFS comes off, will be very cold then but no snow, maybe even ice days after friday

Posted

well it feels it outside, even saw people in shorts, but I do hope 12Z GFS comes off, will be very cold then but no snow, maybe even ice days after friday

They'll probably be chavs.

We all know that chavs are incapable of wearing coats or jackets because burberry don't make them.

I saw loads of chavs on the way home tonight, dressed in tee shirts and baseball caps and the girls in micro skirts all looking frozen and soaking wet, but unwilling to forego comfort and well being for fashion and street cred!

chav_female.jpg

Saw hundreds of them last winter when the temperature were below minus ten dressed like this girl above queing at night clubs and staggering home in the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Blizzard, Hot & Sunny

Was looking at Wind Direction for friday evening - http://www.xcweather.co.uk/GB/forecast

Looks like its trying to be driven from the north east slightly any opinion guys?