First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted

forecasts going for snow depths of 10-25cm across the higher tops of Wales, Scotland and Cumbria. With the rest of the UK anywhere between 5-10cm lower layers and around the Pennines, these next couple of days should be interesting to see the typical British reaction to the winter weather given the mild temps given so far. Co-Incidentally the first of the snows start to settle on a rush-hour Monday morning aswell.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

forecasts going for snow depths of 10-25cm across the higher tops of Wales, Scotland and Cumbria. With the rest of the UK anywhere between 5-10cm lower layers and around the Pennines, these next couple of days should be interesting to see the typical British reaction to the winter weather given the mild temps given so far. Co-Incidentally the first of the snows start to settle on a rush-hour Monday morning aswell.

Where did you get that info from

C.S

Posted

All the forecast's I have read are still viewing the situation as marginal. Which is usual for where I am on the coast, but the synoptics seem very good for places like manchester. I am unsure of any lying snow though, the ground hasn't been below freezing much in low lying areas, so I can't see it sticking around to cause problems unless the temperature dips well below 0- I also doubt that there will be enough snow to bring the freezing level down or to cool the ground sufficiently.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I think there may be some minor snowfall as far down as my location tomorrow evening and Monday. Probably of no significance unless in North England and Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Well, the showers are starting to get all the way across to the Tyne and Wear/Durham/Northumberland coasts now, but Cleadon keeps "taking the dry line" with potent showers moving just to the north and south and only weaklings ever appearing on a collision course for Cleadon, whereupon they of course die out before they get here.

Of course, with temps of 6.6C it would only be rain were any to hit.

Fairly frequent shrs here, 7.4mm precip today. Odd bit of sleet in heavier shrs. Temp between 3/4C most of the time.

Looks like snow shrs tomorrow afternoon onwards.

Can do fairly well in a WNW flow here in regard to snowfall.

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

I wonder if this could be one of the type of set-ups where there could be few surprises this side of the Pennines?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Cleadon has finally caught one of the showers, due to a slight change in wind direction taking the "dry line" a bit south of here. As expected, rain, though I think there's a chance of the odd bit of sleet at low levels tomorrow.

Posted

I'm expecting to see alot of wintry showers from Sunday Night through to Monday evening.

The showers have had no problem making there way here, some heavy and prolonged with strong winds. At times under streamers too which been in the Otley gap helps. The wind direction is generally west to east which is even better.

Really looking forward to some wintry weather!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Plenty of showers here today too

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, storm force winds

Hi all. Much colder here now and just had a blustery snow shower, first of many hopefully :)

Temp: 2.6C, DP: 0C, Wind Chill: -4.9C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

LOCAL NORTHEAST ENGLAND FORECAST : She just said snow showers coming to towns and cities woop! :)

Monday Morning Onwards I May Add :p

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

What's confusing me is the precipitation charts which show showers only confined to western coasts (particulary in Western Scotland). If that were to happen here in Scotland, most the Scottish members would miss out on any significant snowfalls but I'm sure that warm seas should see showers heading quite a bit further inland. And if a North Eastern Forecast says Snow then I'm sure that anywhere north of Manchester could see snow.

Posted

The GFS precipitation outputs are a good general guide within about T+48, although in my experience they often underestimate how far inland the showers penetrate in both westerly and easterly airstreams. A good example is occurring this evening, with the GFS precipitation outputs for 18Z suggesting dry along the Tyne and Wear/Durham/Northumberland coastline and light showers inland, when in reality coastal areas are getting a scattering of light-moderate showers and inland areas are seeing some heavier ones.

However if the precipitation outputs suggest dry over wide areas then don't expect more than the odd rogue shower.

Therefore I think today's pattern is likely to continue through tomorrow and Monday, again some heavy showers in the west but just a scattering of mainly light showers reaching eastern coastal areas. For Tuesday, the outputs currently suggest dry over wide areas so I suggest most areas to the east of the Pennines are looking likely to be dry and sunny. I think around the Tyne and Wear/Durham area, there is roughly a 30% chance of a dusting of snow near the coast on Monday morning in any one location, rising to 60% as you get well inland and stay near sea level, and higher than that if you get above about 200m.

Posted

im quite excited about the possibility of some wintry showers next week. :cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

The GFS precipitation outputs are a good general guide within about T+48, although in my experience they often underestimate how far inland the showers penetrate in both westerly and easterly airstreams. A good example is occurring this evening, with the GFS precipitation outputs for 18Z suggesting dry along the Tyne and Wear/Durham/Northumberland coastline and light showers inland, when in reality coastal areas are getting a scattering of light-moderate showers and inland areas are seeing some heavier ones.

However if the precipitation outputs suggest dry over wide areas then don't expect more than the odd rogue shower.

Therefore I think today's pattern is likely to continue through tomorrow and Monday, again some heavy showers in the west but just a scattering of mainly light showers reaching eastern coastal areas. For Tuesday, the outputs currently suggest dry over wide areas so I suggest most areas to the east of the Pennines are looking likely to be dry and sunny. I think around the Tyne and Wear/Durham area, there is roughly a 30% chance of a dusting of snow near the coast on Monday morning in any one location, rising to 60% as you get well inland and stay near sea level, and higher than that if you get above about 200m.

True, we got a few beefy showers today, one with a rain rate/hr of over 33mm

Posted

Hopefully the northwesterly element to any showers later in the week could allow the Midlands to get a few flakes through the Chesire gap.

Be nice to have a few hoar frosts though, to make the place look a little more like winter, and to get any remaining leaves off the trees, the oaks down here still have around 60%!!.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

We've only had one or two showers today, but had more in the morning. Really hope they don't keep following this line over the next few days, would ensure that we stayed dry.......... no thanks...

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, December 3, 2011 - Private message for this stuff please
Hidden by reef, December 3, 2011 - Private message for this stuff please

hey backtrack hope u r well.

Posted
Posted · Hidden by reef, December 3, 2011 - Private message for this stuff please

hey backtrack hope u r well.

Not bad thanks, you?

Posted

Not bad thanks, you?

not too bad although the Mrs always falls out with me at this time o year. "your always on the laptop at this time o year" oooops lol
Posted

not too bad although the Mrs always falls out with me at this time o year. "your always on the laptop at this time o year" oooops lol

:rofl:

Does she not like snow then? :o

7.5C here, far too warm for snow. Snowing over Scotland with uppers of -4C, can only be a good sign for us.