First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, squally fronts, snow, frost, very mild if no snow or frost

Using GFS data here is a snow risk chart i have created for the period saturday-tuesdaypost-11361-0-14261700-1322798180_thumb.g

Posted

Possibly approaching a brief air frost down here with the temperature currently 0.2C, and a ground frost and some mist visible as it begins to get light.

We have had 3 air frosts this season, though two of them were brief events in the middle of the night before cloud moved in, and one was a brief -0.2C low about 6am.

Also http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/ ooo - I've seen this snow symbol for Braemar a few times recently (quick, it might go soon!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Could have gotten an air frost here, but of course, wind or cloud ruined the chances! If this type of thing is gonna occur every clear night then I get the feeling that December will be air frost free! (okay, so that's unlikely, but still!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

Could have gotten an air frost here, but of course, wind or cloud ruined the chances! If this type of thing is gonna occur every clear night then I get the feeling that December will be air frost free! (okay, so that's unlikely, but still!)

You seen radar mate? Could be something wintry anywhere with elevation near you.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

The first of any frosts here since March, with a frost on some roofs, cars and slight on the grass. Lowest temp of the season so far here too at 1.6C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Ground frost here but its 2c and didn't even get below that overnight!

Posted

Frozen rain on the car this morning and down to 3DgC on the drive, 2DgC in the countryside of Sussex

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

The temperature went down to -0.9c here in Headington,Oxford. Currently beginning to rise again at 1.2c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and thundery or Cold and snowy.

Using GFS data here is a snow risk chart i have created for the period saturday-tuesdaypost-11361-0-14261700-1322798180_thumb.g

I personally dont think the snow will get anywhere near the east of the country.. ( Not until the second blast anyway. )

It will all be contained to the west and northern areas IMO.

Im waiting for the latest GFS to roll out as to me, This is very knife edge and the cooler air i think will stay further north than people are expecting..

Update to follow..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well as usual I am the warmest in the region. Minimum 3.2C before midnight. Really starting to annoy me now

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

Snow down to around 700m here. There was a light dusting on the very tops early one morning back in October, but didn't last long, so this is the first decent covering for the Lake District fells! Last year snow arrived on the 7th November, year before think it was around the 4th December.

I'd imagine the snow will wash away tonight but hopefully will build up nicely next week. Will have to dust off the winter hiking kit, always like to head up to greet the first snows of winter!

Edited by Mountain Snow

Posted

Ok....

Looks like its a good attempt, But simply will just be snow for the north and upper hills.

The current models simply dont hold well for snow at lower levels. Esp anything south of the border.

Its going to feel cold. Dont get me wrong there... Its just not cold enough for any prolonged snow. ( away from the hills and far north west )

h850t850eu.png

ukmintemp.png

ukwind.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Check out the charts for the 9th though! They look more interesting, including some areas further south!

Obviously that's FI though, so a little more hopecasting needed!

Posted

Check out the charts for the 9th though! They look more interesting, including some areas further south!

Obviously that's FI though, so a little more hopecasting needed!

Indeed.

Looks good ( Still not perfect :) Even for a Fi )

All in all, Looking at the latest GFs, Its a good run.

Its showing some movement now with the cooler air. I think the mixing will really help get winter going..

Considering we are in day 2 now of winter. Its turning out ok.

All this MILD winter talk I personally think is hogwash. Its going to get cold. Very cold. Just not this side of xmas.

Look at the buckle on this badboy, Warm air shooting right up there.. Cant be good..

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Certainly no cold spell discussion on my behalf tonight, infact we are set to be at around 10c by midnight tonight as warm uppers pulse in... the last time Durham Uni hit double figures in December was the 10th of December 2009! So exceptionally mild tonight, luckily it seems to be just a blip with cooler air back in the ne by dawn.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

No need to fret, we have a forecast for 0C and -2C on monday and friday night.

You will definately see an air frost this December in Leeds.

Posted

I expect the temperature will rise overnight again as the warm front brings a warm sector and then fall away again through tomorrow once the following cold front has cleared through!

Anyway, it's 6.1c at present and the daytime max was 6.3c meaning the coldest day since 5 March!

Posted

Snow down to around 700m here. There was a light dusting on the very tops early one morning back in October, but didn't last long, so this is the first decent covering for the Lake District fells! Last year snow arrived on the 7th November, year before think it was around the 4th December.

I'd imagine the snow will wash away tonight but hopefully will build up nicely next week. Will have to dust off the winter hiking kit, always like to head up to greet the first snows of winter!

Yes good to see some decent snow on the fells albeit only on the highest tops. I too am itching to get out on the fells, would go tomorrow but the snow will have melted thanks to the warm uppers this evening. However, I do plan to get out on Sunday and I am hopeful tomorrows showers should bring a fresh cover again possibly down to 600m.

Going back to 2009 we saw snow cover on the highest ground above 700m overnight 27th November. However we had to wait until the 18th Dec for fresh snow cover , mind the weekend of 12th Dec 09 brought frosty conditions with rime.

It has been a very slow start to the new season in terms of snow on the fells,however, the next week should see some decent falls - far cry from last year mind but we were spoilt.

Posted

Can't really talk about how cold the temperature is at this time as it is a very tropical 8.6c. Though today was chilly -1c when i arrived at school and by the time i had left was only 5.8c, the max today though was 6.2c during daylight.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

Nooo December Double Digits here!! Hopefully its all downhill in terms of temperature from here though, Tuesday is looking good for a taste of winter! :)

Posted

Nooo December Double Digits here!! Hopefully its all downhill in terms of temperature from here though, Tuesday is looking good for a taste of winter! :)

Yes looks like you will see the full force of winter in the next week, well mostly with the colder temperature, though you could see snow showers or snow for a short time.