1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow

Yes interesting models tonight.

Fingers crossed for snow in Sussex next weekend...as its my Birthday!! :-)

Ar wicked! Let's hope the weather brings you some of that white stuff. :') *has fingers crossed*

Good luck to all next week. :)

Posted

Air frost!? Ground frost!? Christ, I'm lucky if we even get close to 5c, it's 7c here and the average for Dec so far is 9.8c. So far this autumn/wintert, we've not had a single frost of any kind, grrrrr, this east coast living is miserable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A rather rubbish 6c here, we managed 10c last night- horrid! Top december temperature here in the last 10 yrs was 13c, I think I won't reach that unless a bartlett occurs and warm southerly winds turn westerly for us and unleash a bit of tropical nightmare on us... Anyway, upper air temps are steadily cooling for most until tues morning and so we should have a rather cool scenario for monday and tuesday especially.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

I think Sunday-Tuesday looks quite on the cool side, whilst Wednesday and Thursday goes back to mild before back again. Quite pleasant seeing maxima 5c on the forecasts after all that mild weather. :)

Posted

http://expertcharts....120500_0300.gif

Latest NAE charts picking up the snow potential

Latest NAE even better for snowfall...

post-8968-0-08619600-1322911887_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

lol BT will be doing sumersaults if hes sees that chart

*DOES FLIP*

IS THAT PINK OVER MY HOUSE I SPY?! :clap::drunk::cold:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Im Just too far east for me :(

Posted

The chart represents wintry precipitation, in other words it could be either, sleet, snow, hail. The fact that the NAE doesn't expect any accumulations over NW england represents that.

Posted

All eyes on the NMM today and tomorrow. Temperatures may struggle to pass 3/4c in some parts in the west under continuous showers on Monday and Tuesday, very snowy above 150-250m and down to 0-50m in Scotland, maybe even sea level on Tuesday morning for many parts of Scotland and down to 50m in N/NE England. A fairly average polar maritime flow ending with a low moving east and pulling in north winds... Friday could also be cold under a northerly toppler with the jet riding over by next weekend.

Posted

All eyes on the NMM today and tomorrow. Temperatures may struggle to pass 3/4c in some parts in the west under continuous showers on Monday and Tuesday, very snowy above 150-250m and down to 0-50m in Scotland, maybe even sea level on Tuesday morning for many parts of Scotland and down to 50m in N/NE England. A fairly average polar maritime flow ending with a low moving east and pulling in north winds... Friday could also be cold under a northerly toppler with the jet riding over by next weekend.

Only chance I see for us is Tuesday morning as you mention as rain comes in turning to snow *hopefully* it just needs perfect timing e.g. coming in the early hours around 5am

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

no cold spell for the south at all, im at 8oC now, with a mildish week coming up, but hopefully dry

Posted

no cold spell for the south at all, im at 8oC now, with a mildish week coming up, but hopefully dry

Not sure you are correct to be honest looks quite chilly start to the week with the sub 528 dam line covering the whole country for the first time since the spring, slightly above on thursday granted but nothing that mild before cooling down again by the end of the week with another shot of chilly arctic air.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn602.png

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn1622.png

Posted

First rain/hail shower of the weekend, temp fell from 5c to 4c, was a rather heavy shower after a very sunny day, a high of 7c. Could turn distinctly cooler tonight with 5c being struggled to be met until Wednesday perhaps.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

First symbol of snow on the Leeds Met Office forecast (well, sleet really). Sleet is common as muck at this time of year though

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

First rain/hail shower of the weekend, temp fell from 5c to 4c, was a rather heavy shower after a very sunny day, a high of 7c. Could turn distinctly cooler tonight with 5c being struggled to be met until Wednesday perhaps.

Indeed, I'm in Chester le Street today. Hopefully this means a flurry or two will make it over here on Monday!

Posted

Indeed, I'm in Chester le Street today. Hopefully this means a flurry or two will make it over here on Monday!

Aye agreed there what you reckon our chances are on tuesday morning for a little covering?

Posted

Aye agreed there what you reckon our chances are on tuesday morning for a little covering?

Slim I'd imagine. It'll still be nice if we get a wet snow flurry on Monday though! We managed a slight dusting in the cold westerly in January 2009, but that was a more prolonged cold snap.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It will be annoying if none of the showers make it over to Cleadon (especially if any media forecasts or elderly relatives rub it in by noting how lucky I was to escape with the best of the weather), but in previous instances of cold zonality we've tended to get stuff coming over the Pennines more often than not. Christmas Day 2004 was the only major letdown that I remember, while we got lying snow in Tyneside from marginal events on the 16th February 2000 and 22nd/23rd February 2002. Some parts of the region got a surprise snowfall from a westerly in the second week of January 2011, including here in Cleadon where a sleety shower at 6am turned to snow and gave a dusting.

Cleadon missed the shower that hit Durham but there was a sprinkling of rain earlier from the remnants of a dissipating cumulonimbus- the sky overhead was clear when the rain fell. The main issue today has been that most of the showers were concentrated south of Tyne and Wear.

Posted

Good to see fellow northeasterners posting its been a while lol snow must be coming if Im honest I haven't got a clue what to expect really im just hopeful :p

Posted

Alza mate, will you be in Newcastle over Sun-Tue? I'd imagine Newcastle has a better chance of showers reaching and snow falling due to elevation and positioning.

Yeah, I'm only in Chester le Street for a while this afternoon, then I'm going home! Jan 2011 was the best westerly I can remember as we got around an inch. We also got about a centimeter of fresh snow from the potent cold westerly in December 2009.

Edited by alza