First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted

Hmmm temp is dropping quickly - now down to 4.1c with some hail mixed with the rain. Surely it won't snow at this altitude?!

What is your location? And altitude.

Edited by georgiedre

Posted

Doesn't really look all that cold down here at all in the SE, but even so its still a decent bit colder then it has been in recent months. Probably for my location we'll have to wait till any high pressure cell arrives for us to get proper frosty weather.

Posted

What is your location? And altitude.

Deeside, 20m asl. Rain has passed through and the temp is now steady at 3.8c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy Winters and cool, wet Summers

Hoping for a wintry shower later as half an hour ago it was 7c/rain on a westerly and now its 5c/rain on north westerly!

Edited by Tellow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Certainly turned considerably chillier here in the NW Midlands..Currently 5.2C with a dewpoint of 2.9C with squally showers..Almost certainly the coldest daytime temps here since last winter

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

0.5C here now, Dew point -3.2 Wind chill 3.8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Maybe the outside sniff of seeing a few flakes here overnight and into tomorrow (if showers can filter through) dewpoints/temps/atmosphere thickness and 850hpa temps will become condusive to some wintryness.....again depends on whether or not showers can hold together this far inland.....Interesting forecast for the West Midlands (especially Staffs) from the Met Office....to quote...."

Headline:

Showers dying out, mostly dry and clear overnight.

This Evening and Tonight:

Showers dying out this evening with it becoming largely dry and clear. Wintry showers across northern Staffordshire, perhaps giving a covering of 5cm of snow over the Staffordshire Moorlands. Cold with a frost developing, especially in rural areas. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

After a cold start, most places having a dry day with some sunny spells. Wintry showers continuing in the north of the region, with one or two elsewhere. Feeling cold. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Updated: 1448 on Sun 4 Dec 2011"

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Maybe the outside sniff of seeing a few flakes here overnight and into tomorrow (if showers can filter through) dewpoints/temps/atmosphere thickness and 850hpa temps will become condusive to some wintryness.....again depends on whether or not showers can hold together this far inland.....Interesting forecast for the West Midlands (especially Staffs) from the Met Office....to quote...."

Headline:

Showers dying out, mostly dry and clear overnight.

This Evening and Tonight:

Showers dying out this evening with it becoming largely dry and clear. Wintry showers across northern Staffordshire, perhaps giving a covering of 5cm of snow over the Staffordshire Moorlands. Cold with a frost developing, especially in rural areas. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Monday:

After a cold start, most places having a dry day with some sunny spells. Wintry showers continuing in the north of the region, with one or two elsewhere. Feeling cold. Maximum temperature 5 °C.

Updated: 1448 on Sun 4 Dec 2011"

There does seem to be more Precip about than the models expected and certainly more Inland than what the models expected. Perhaps a few snow showers overnight from Wales. Definitely cant rule it out although a relatively low risk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

It's relatively mild here, currently just above 7 with a dp of about 4.5 so noticably warmer than people just a little further North of me. It's just started to rain heavily too, delightful.

I think any wintry showers will be in the very north midlands.

Edited by Serendipity

Posted

Yep, luckily im in the north of staffs so maybe ill see atleast a shower or two with a dusting, doubt ill get the 5cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD

Over cast and damp here 5.3c and falling Dew point 3c

Down to 5c now.

Edited by Fozfoster

Posted

Just got in from walking the dog up on Clee Hill in Shropshire...there are definitly snow flakes falling up there! So I've seen my first falling snow of the winter.

Doesn't count until I see it here in Stourbridge though!

Interesting drive back though. Watching the icy splats on the windscreen turn back into watery splats as I went downhill towards Cleobury.

Posted

Temp 2.7c and dewpoint down to 1.7c so definatly some wintriness if any showers come through

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

Just got in from walking the dog up on Clee Hill in Shropshire...there are definitly snow flakes falling up there! So I've seen my first falling snow of the winter.

Doesn't count until I see it here in Stourbridge though!

Interesting drive back though. Watching the icy splats on the windscreen turn back into watery splats as I went downhill towards Cleobury.

Interesting and suggests that the snowflakes are not too far above our heads now! :D

Some precip still around North Wales so maybe a bit sleet this evening. Nothing more than that for this evening is suspect. Any optimism I have is that the models seem to under do the Precip and how far it gets inland sometimes. I remember 17th December the day before the massive snowfall here where the Showers from Wales very easily made it here with much intensity remained. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

yes actually interesting that since I posted the temp and dp have dropped a fair bit.

Posted

You staying up for a radar watch tonight Blizzard?

Most definitely not, its not worth it tbh even if a few flakes may fall. Sleep is very important to me. :lol:

Posted

Met office talk of the odd wintry shower tonight for my area (East mids/East anglia border) though obviously chances are so small I wont lose any sleep over it. Temps still pretty high in some heavy rain at 6.7 degrees falling slowly, and dew points at 2.2 degrees, a long way to go before its cool enough for anything at all wintry.

Anybody tell me what ideal is for dew point and what significance this has on snow? Thanks

Posted

Haha fair enough. Dont reckon many showers will make it this far south then?

Certainly a chance of catching a snow/sleet shower for our neck of the woods...Your only about 5 miles or so from me I believe

Posted

Yep im up in rugeley. Reckon we've got a chance of anything notable? Slight covering etc?

I doubt if there will be any settling ppn, more of a flurry or two if anything...Elevation is not on our side (about 100m asl)