First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted

Colder air yet to reach here frequent rain showers from first thing Temp still around 5c

Hopefull of at least something a bit wintry overnight/tomorrow

C.S

Lower dew points spreading south over the next 24 hrs which should improve snow chances.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Not home until lunch but at Durham it's raining at 2.6c, in NE England I'd say 100-150m is the sleet/snow line, maybe lowering to 50m in northumberland and 100m elsewhere later on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Snow in Consett and the adjacent moors up to 1500ft are looking very white, I suspect many cms of wet slushy snow up there now....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Nmm says the cooler air (-4c/-5c) won't plunge into TandW or Co.Durham until the afternoon and then we linger between -5c and -6c until Monday morning/afternoon when some much cooler (-6c/-7c) uppers could reach here by Tues morning. Marginal but very much exciting, Consett could have a field day(s)!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Amber warning for Scotland for snow now..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Could be some real fun and games above 1000' over the next day or so.....I remember about 1.5 weeks ago amongst all of the doom and gloom posting that 'this PM flow will do us just fine.....' (IMBY I Know!)

Posted

Fantastic reports from further north. Going to be very interesting to see who gets the snow. I know the Durham area very well so I can imagine which parts are getting it best.

Looking like it might stay largely dry down here...so chances of snow may be academic anyway.

Posted

The post I made about an hour ago has been proved wrong already. It's just started to rain.

I should just be quiet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Skies starting to look more "snowy" around Cleadon, temp 4C so probably not cold enough near sea level yet, but encouraging to see how many showers are getting over the Pennines. Tonight is when the main window of opportunity arises here IMHO.

Posted

A very not so wintry 10.6C here, with a low of 8.8C this morning. Watching the forecast and reading reports on here makes me want to be in the hills/mountains in Scotland or NW England.

Cooler here tomorrow but the only real chance of wintriness in the SW tomorrow will be on the tops of Dartmoor, though that's not too surprising.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

The post I made about an hour ago has been proved wrong already. It's just started to rain.

I should just be quiet!

Some of the showers do seem to be surpassing Wales and a couple of light ones did last night also. A flurry or to from tonight onwards cant be ruled out but nothing exciting. The next cold snap later in the week also looks unexciting as it appears High pressure will have far too much influence giving cold but dry conditions. And then the Euro High looks to return. :/

Posted

Some of the showers do seem to be surpassing Wales and a couple of light ones did last night also. A flurry or to from tonight onwards cant be ruled out but nothing exciting. The next cold snap later in the week also looks unexciting as it appears High pressure will have far too much influence giving cold but dry conditions. And then the Euro High looks to return. :/

Yeah, the outlook isn't really that inspiring for us. At least there has been some more interesting events to be looking at in the past week. Squalls and cooler air being the main two. I can't help feeling that we'll back stuck the same rut we were in during November by the time christmas comes around though. I'm being pessimistic but thats what I see at the moment. However, at this early stage...it certainly doesn't write off winter as a whole so it could be a lot worse. I wouldn't start to worry until mid February.

To get back to the current cold spell, (because thats what this thread is)...nothing more than raw and damp for this part of the country, but we knew from the start it would be a northern event. Next weekend is slipping away in terms of interest now. Will have to make the most of any frost and fog before the mundane, mild and mucky skies return.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

A mild 7.5c still here in west country with steady rain. :lazy: next week looks cool but certainly not wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Yeah, had sleet here a bit earlier. Though just rain at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, anything extreme

Currently raining here and feeling rather cold 6.5C, not expecting any snow here this week :mellow:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Currently raining here and feeling rather cold 6.5C, not expecting any snow here this week :mellow:

you may be surprised come morning. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, anything extreme

you may be surprised come morning. :)

I hope so, after all this mild weather I want something cold & snowy! :p even if it doesn't last long.

Posted

Raining here in North Wales but the temperature has dropped to 5.1c from 7.1c earlier. Reckon there could be a covering on the hills in the area tomorrow.

Posted

Models suggest a brief warm-up possibly for most on Weds/Thursday however the set-up is quite interesting for Scotland, the front povots around a developing low and also into the colder air that lays to the west of the frontal system. Early days but there is certainly a chance for some big snows, especially on higher ground...

Posted

Hmmm temp is dropping quickly - now down to 4.1c with some hail mixed with the rain. Surely it won't snow at this altitude?!