First Cold Spell of 2011/2012 Season: Review  

46 members have voted

1. 1. How Would You Rate the Cold Spell for Your Location out of 10

2. 2. Did You See your First Snowfall of 2011

3. 3. Did You Have any Snowfall(s)

4. 4. Did You Have any Lying Snow

5. 5. What Was Your Maximum Snow Depth in the Cold Spell

Posted

I looked on some radars and it said thunder was in Macclesfield right now? So is it thundersnowing?

I havent heard any thunder yet, if it does I'll be sure to let you know.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Aboyne is currently at -5C, so pretty cold night.

Leeds is at 0C, so first air frost of the winter.

Happily, at least 3 snow showers have made it to Leeds in the past 6 hours and settled, was quite bad at my parents in BD11 as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Had our first snow shower of the season this morning! :air_kiss:

I didnt think it was possible but as I left this morning there was a slight dusting as I drove away although it will have melted fairly quickly after.

Posted

reports of snow from high ground in Derbyshire and Staffordshire;

Flash on the borfer about 1500ft up and similar at the Cat and Fiddle above Buxton/Macclesfield; snow on the Snake and Woodhead routes.

http://www.flashbarstores.co.uk/

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

2/3 cm here, Cat & Fiddle road was closed last night. Snake Pass still shut acording to reports.

Heavy Snow showers on of atm

Temp 0.2C

Wind Chill -6.2C

Dew Point -7.7C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Had our first snow shower of the season this morning! :air_kiss:

I didnt think it was possible but as I left this morning there was a slight dusting as I drove away although it will have melted fairly quickly after.

I did see the cluster of showers on the radar out South West, but when on xc weather the temps being reported were 3c-5c, i guess over high elevation there are snow showers and are quite a few coming now.

Posted

~7cm of snow here through heavy showers from late evening and through the early hours. A further snow shower in East Kilbride 10 minutes ago but now bright and clear. 0.5C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

In the end, we did get a fair number of showers overnight at Cleadon in Tyne and Wear, but it wasn't cold enough- 1.3C minimum before the showers rolled in and temperatures hovered at 2 or 3C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in the summer

Very heavy snow in Glasgow city centre just now

Posted

Been very wintry around this area.

Last night saw blizzard conditions with heavy snow and winds gusting 40-50mph.

On and off snow throughout the night.

Currently 0.c and sunny with around 1cm of snow. Snowing heavily earlier.

If the snow wasn't slightly wet then we would have a much better covering.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

I did see the cluster of showers on the radar out South West, but when on xc weather the temps being reported were 3c-5c, i guess over high elevation there are snow showers and are quite a few coming now.

Yes there were a few white patches over the top of mendips this morning leaving but it was only falling as snow over about 250m Nice to see though this far south!

Posted

Just a scattered dusting of snow in higher parts of Sheffield, so i'm sure there is a nice covering on the nearby peaks. Just started snowing again, shame i can't get up onto the hills today!

Posted

The first proper cold spell of the winter has ended for most (except in Shetland) and now I feel it's time to see who fared well and how decent it was.

For me, the cold spell started with wet snow on Saturday. Some snow showers during most of Sunday until the evening when we saw plenty of showers and accumiltions. Monday was very snowy with plenty of heavy snow showers and everything was turned into a winter wonderland under 5cm of snow which caused distruption throughout Scotland. Tuesday cold to begin with before some snow in the Afternoon. Then milder with rain and some loss of snow cover.

Maximum Depth was 6-7cm.

How about you?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Cold spell? I didn't even notice.

Posted

Virtually non existent is the short answer.

Nothing much below average here, I might be able to stretch to a 2 as we had a hail shower and 2 heavy showers... didn't even get an air frost. The first proper cold spell here is yet to come but that's what I expected.

Admittedly this generally affected the northern half of the country with nothing much down here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Didnt see any snow and the minimum was an unexceptional -0.1c. Daytime temperatures have been reaching 4/5c here (6-8c in the south) which doesnt really constitute a cold spell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

It was only chilly here in Southern England, 2 frosts in last few days, nothing to write home about, but i have liked the colder feel than of the mild weather we have been experiencing recently.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Had some slight frost with some ice on the road ,min temp +1.4c, lowest max 4.7c, LOL,not much of a cold spell at my location but at least it felt alot more like winter.

Edited by sundog

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow, Storms. Summer: Heat, Thunder

A light covering here on Monday morning with 5-10cm above 300m, not bad for a north westerly

Posted

No cold spell to speak of here really, no snow, no sleet, no hail, no frost, no ice, no subzero temperatures, no temperature below 1c at any time actually and max's of 6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

No cold spell to speak of here really, no snow, no sleet, no hail, no frost, no ice, no subzero temperatures, no temperature below 1c at any time actually and max's of 6c.

No Ice??? There was a fair bit of it here especially Monday morning and frost yesterday (Tuesday) morning. It wasnt exceptionally cold though I agree here but chilly compared to November!!!

Posted

It was quite disappointing overall.

While it was questionable whether showers would make it to Leeds at all, i certainly did not expect them to be of rain.

Leeds saw several snow showers on Sunday night which produced a marginal covering (1cm ish) but melted by Monday afternoon, the showers afterward were actually of sleet or rain.

I guess i have to get used to an urban heat effect and being 100m asl lower than my parents house however i gave it 3/10.

I would add also that 4th December is the latest time for the first snow since December 2007.