Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold Spell Discussion

Cookie

Posted

I'm just somebody who enjoys different weather,by no means do I understand it. What would that mean for us and could it head for us?

Can't confirm if it's a Polar Low I got it from the N England Cold Spell thread.

However if there was one heading for us then it would obviously bring snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

There's a Polar Low just off Iceland.

Where can it be seen

Posted

How many points do I get for spotting a snow plough on a Scottish Road when it's snowing traffic Scotland webcam?

post-26-0-37332800-1323008203_thumb.jpg

Posted

How many points do I get for spotting a snow plough on a Scottish Road when it's snowing traffic Scotland webcam?

post-26-0-37332800-1323008203_thumb.jpg

Na it canny be

Must have doctored that pic

Rb

Posted

http://sat24.com/?ir=true

There does seem to be some activity around Iceland however I think it will be dragged to far east so it will miss us.

what are the general totals now for higher ground in western Scotland, must imagine we are now getting some decent accumulation??

0cm here.

http://sat24.com/?ir=true

There does seem to be some activity around Iceland however I think it will be dragged to far east so it will miss us.

0cm here.

I'm not convinced it is a polar low, look at the 12pm FAX chart:

post-2844-0-26113400-1323008842_thumb.pn

It ties in with the fronts shown to the west of Iceland surely?

Scrub that, PLs can have fronts after all..ha ha shows you what I know.

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

I'm not convinced it is a polar low, look at the 12pm FAX chart:

post-2844-0-26113400-1323008842_thumb.pn

It ties in with the fronts shown to the west of Iceland surely?

Scrub that, PLs can have fronts after all..ha ha shows you what I know.

Are these fronts near Iceland and in the Atlantic supposed to be heading here?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

Just had a lovely snowy drive from Contin down the A9 back to Fife. Intermittent blizzards between Inverness and Drumochter, with dual carriageways down to one lane and everyone going a steady 40 or 50mph. A relaxing way to enjoy the A9 :)

Snow peters out after Pitlochry but the Lomonds still have a fine dusting.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

there is some snaw lying up here after this mornings showers but stayed dry in the afternoon if you go higher above 400m there is 2-3 inches lying temps have been steady all day at 0.9c hard frost on the way tonight

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

1.6c/0.4 conditions are okay if we can get the precipitation across here. Perhaps later on.

Posted

What I've noticed is that the temperature in Tiree has dropped by 2C in the last two hours from 5.3C to 3.3C once a large organised area of showers had passed. Perhaps that's the -5C uppers arriving.

Posted

Very happy! Temperature is at 1.1c instead of the 3c forecasted by the Met Office. All we need now is for those showers to make it all the way across here tonight!

Posted

Nice cluster over W/C Scotland right now, would imagine 1-2cms from that batch over higher ground as its fairly strong. Conditions should get steadily colder from now on in Scotland and more and more snow to low level, and settling.

Posted

Nice cluster over W/C Scotland right now, would imagine 1-2cms from that batch over higher ground as its fairly strong. Conditions should get steadily colder from now on in Scotland and more and more snow to low level, and settling.

Nothing is going to happen here as that group of showers is weakening rapidly and there aren't much showers behind it. I'm waiting to later on when there should be a more promising area of activity heading for Scotland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time

1.6c/0.4 conditions are okay if we can get the precipitation across here. Perhaps later on.

The shower cluster (or blob as I've started referring to them!) from Fort William to Pitlochry might just about make it as far southeast as Fife if we're lucky. You're chances are better than mine because of the odd localised Ben Alder southeastward wishbone effect

Nothing is going to happen here as that group of showers is weakening rapidly and there aren't much showers behind it. I'm waiting to later on when there should be a more promising area of activity heading for Scotland.

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/hirlam24.gif

I've noticed this trough showing up on the NMM passing across Scotland and giving pretty heavy snow right up and down the country as the winds back more westerly again. Something to look out for later. In the shorter term, is the cluster associated with this troughhttp://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/hirlam12.gif ? If so, it could re-intensify further south after passing over the highlands.