Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted

Flash is blocked off currently from a earlier incident, so not many cars taking the Buxton-Leek route anyway at this time in the evening with the weather as it is. Most of the problems reported will likely be due to commuters and the A6 junction in the center of town (Buxton's layout means it has 4 throughfares passing through it all merging at the same place.) Its normally busy even in the summer, but add on unconfident drivers, sheer traffic weight and conditions you can see where the problems lie.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Posted

Had an intense hail shower about 5.15 which really pelted down and put down a covering of hail down on the roads and pavements which is still lying around now! My car wipers couldnt keep up with the intensity of it! Apart from that mainly been sleet/hail showers most of day on and off.

Edited by NW_Blackburn

Posted

Showers Died out them dam Pennines! :(

Yup they completely sucked the life out of them, there are more showers behind but they will meet the same peril by the looks of it

Flash is blocked off currently from a earlier incident, so not many cars taking the Buxton-Leek route anyway at this time in the evening with the weather as it is. Most of the problems reported will likely be due to commuters and the A6 junction in the center of town (Buxton's layout means it has 4 throughfares passing through it all merging at the same place.) Its normally busy even in the summer, but add on unconfident drivers, sheer traffic weight and conditions you can see where the problems lie.

Compared to N Pennines there is an amazing amount of traffic in the Peak District. Luckly here the local ploughs/gritters are free to just clear the roads. Teesdale's gritting/ploughing service is excellent far better than over the border in Cumbria.

Edited by Teesdale

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Yup they completely sucked the life out of them, there are more showers behind but they will meet the same peril by the looks of it

I give up I thought some snow this week surely and friday morning looks orite or is it just me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

I am so jealous. I will also keep an eye on Flickr to see what people upload. Mostly had that hail pellets or graupel today. Was going to go up to Edale, but wasn't sure if it did snow heavily that the trains would work, lol.

Posted

A selection of Pictures from Owler bar Fox House and Door Moor here this dinner time.

Its annoying as i had the day off, i'd of loved to have gone up. Expecially as i can see them from my window!

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

That next batch leaving the Glasgow area looks more potent, maybe they'll stand more of a chance.

Much better 12z ECM for NE England too, could be a few inches at the end of the week for some as it shows a Northerly for Saturday rather than NW'ly.

Edited by alza

Posted

That next batch leaving the Glasgow area looks more potent, maybe they'll stand more of a chance.

Hope so Alza could do with a nice dusting and lovely ECM 120 Heavy Snow - Game aint over yet!

EDIT - Ha Seen your sneeky ecm update after mine there and yep things aint over yet mate!

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted

18:30 "Slack Hill - Matlock to Chesterfield very heavy snow and very slow both ways - people abandoning cars everywhere" - Buxtonweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Torrential hail.

2.4C

50% hail, 30% rain 20% snow.

Posted

18:30 "Slack Hill - Matlock to Chesterfield very heavy snow and very slow both ways - people abandoning cars everywhere" - Buxtonweather

Is it bad down here too. Here in this part of the Central Belt we've got 5cm and that's probably ironically the deepest the snow has been since December 8th 2010 although Christmas and January were quite close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Much better 12z ECM for NE England too, could be a few inches at the end of the week for some as it shows a Northerly for Saturday rather than NW'ly.

ECM shows a strong NW'erly to my eyes?

Posted

Lots of showers forming in the lake district now. Yorkshire dales could be hammered this evening, and maybe even the North York Moors.

May be i could catch a few then as im just north from there

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

ECM shows a strong NW'erly to my eyes?

Maybe NNW, but much less westerly than this current one. If any troughs get involved with a NNW Newcastle can get quite a bit, it looks similar to the end of January 2010 which gave around 4 inches within 10 miles of the North Sea. Also, these rain to snow event from the North sometimes deliver a decent snowfall, especially to the East of the Pennines, but you can never tell whether the cold air will undercut the front until just before the event.

Posted

Could be the difference between them surviving and not surviving if they're even slightly more intensified, so we'll see how this lot do

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Snow cover has lasted all day here but with no further accumulation as, despite frequent showers, the temp' remained above 0c all day, falling to 0.4c during the heavier showers. Mean depth at 1800 is 5.5cm

Perhaps a bit more tonight if the showers keep going and come in on the right track.

Posted

Torrential hail.

2.4C

50% hail, 30% rain 20% snow.

Is that not what we called Sleet in the wonderful world of meteorology? :whistling:

You are right in saying that the ECM is showing a NW'ly and not a Northerly where as the shallow low/shortwave in the South is full of mild air so any PPN there will be of rain. Also the deep low has a big mild sector in as you can clearly see at 120 hours however its still not a bad chart for cold fans but for this region then snow looks limited to my eyes.

Posted

Maybe NNW, but much less westerly than this current one. If any troughs get involved with a NNW Newcastle can get quite a bit, it looks similar to the end of January 2010 which gave around 4 inches within 10 miles of the North Sea. Also, these rain to snow event from the North sometimes deliver a decent snowfall, especially to the East of the Pennines, but you can never tell whether the cold air will undercut the front until just before the event.

very good news I need it ! :p