Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

I know, I could smell you from here you smelly bugger.

:lol:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Will this cooler weather we're having have an affect on the Irish sea in terms of temperature? Will it be able to lower it?

Posted

In Leeds centre atm (30m), very light rain with strong winds, feels bitter. Alot of dark cloud everywhere too, just not above Leeds.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Mainly rain here, hail and slush at best in the very heavy showers, even though the temp is very low @ 2.4c.

Yet BT is reporting sleet/snow with a temp over double mine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

I must admit I've been disappointed with the lack of snow today. There was a very very light snow flurry at 07:30, then its been dry since then. Usually we at least catch something from a NW'ly.

The ECM looks interesting up until +168 at least, the GFS much less so.

Edited by alza

Posted

Mainly rain here, hail and slush at best in the very heavy showers, even though the temp is very low @ 2.4c.

True, the last few showers have been mainly rain here(as in Runcorn where I also happen to live), it was hailing earlier though.

Posted

-Snow on the ground has caused Hazardous driving conditions on all roads and especially on high level routes . BEWARE !! There are miles of traffic queues on all approach roads to Buxton right now. Reports in this morning - "Just driven back from Ashbourne to Harpur Hill. A515 was fine but it's snowing heavily around Parsley Hay" (Thank you Michelle Ward) AND "Grid lock A53 Flash Store - traffic allowed through from Buxton to Leek but at a standstill in the other direction and police holding it back. Not sure if they are letting any traffic through in that direction, though not turning us back yet. Road clear from Flash to Leek" Thank you Peter Hancock) AND (Thank you Annie Billinge for this) - "Have just arrived home in Leek from Fairfield in Buxton. All traffic being turned back at Burbage by the police at 1pm. Went over the Brierlow Bar road to Longnor instead which was fine with slush and some water in places - fine if you take it steady- Leek road from Winking Man has no snow on the road surface and is sunny at the moment. It will turn treacherous if freezes later this afternoon" AND"The A53 Leek Road and A537 Cat and Fiddle are CLOSED" (Thank you Ros). "A53 and A537 - Police are turning even 4 wheel drive vehicles through freezing conditions and abandoned vehicles" (Thank you Alan Baxter) - " The A515 Asbourne Road is very slow and lorries stuck just outside Buxton - many are stuck there - awaiting assistance - road blocked and hill impassable.!" (Thank you Maggie Gray and others) but is "moving slowly at Parsley Hay" (Thank you Christine) - AND "Avoid top road between Hayfield and Charlesworth- very dangerous-frozen snow. Cars aren't making it up the hill as they approach Charlesworth village. Very nasty indeed -Stay on the Glossop Road if wanting to get on the motorway (M67) for Manchester" (Thank you Kath Kilbane). "Minimal visibilty at Quarnford" (Thank you Claire Yates) - 2 cm of FROZEN HARD!! snow on the ground at Buxton level (300Mts or so)- heavy snow showers right now - Some Main Roads inc A6 are passable , but traffic is very slow everywhere - side roads around Buxton are very difficult and impassable in places "I've just tried to get up Macclesfield Old Road and onto Anncroft. It was very difficult and extremely slippery." (Thank you Pauline)- 15.00, Monday - New reports most welcome - BuxtonWeather

Posted

True, the last few showers have been mainly rain here(as in Runcorn where I also happen to live), it was hailing earlier though.

The temps around Runcorn are 5-6c so rain is what you can expect, with some hail thrown in.

I was hoping for more wintry type showers with more snow mixed but it's just been rain/sleet/hail.

2.5c DP 1.1c 90% humidity

I've been out for a drive towards Penrith, snow along the A66 about 4-5cm at the most on the higher parts of the A66. Some nice Xmas card scenes with the sheep grazing over the snow bound fields.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Yes it's been sleeting and hailing all day. I've been out walking in it. Temperatures are around 4C. I'm not at home atm.

Posted

Frequent snow and sleet showers throughout the day, real shame they did not settle as we would have some decent acccumulations! Still, the hills from my window are white over. Just had another heavy snow shower, currently light sleet.

12 hour rainfall

post-6181-0-79792700-1323099114_thumb.pn

Edited by Mark Bayley

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, cold winters, anything extreme

Been dry here for most of the day but feeling chilly 5C was hoping for some hail showers at least. :lazy:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Frequent snow and sleet showers throughout the day, real shame they did not settle as we would have some decent acccumulations! Still, the hills from my window are white over. Just had another heavy snow shower, currently light sleet.

12 hour rainfall

Hello again Mark plenty of sleet hail and snow showers today i was at the the cat and fiddle yesterday and enjoyed a blizzard up there :rofl: and i have been up fox house where there is a really decent covering when i was up there earlier there was blizzard conditions again the roads were covered in snow the higher parts look like they have taken a hammering down here in Dronfield there's still some slush IMBY but nothing to write home about.

Posted

I must admit I've been disappointed with the lack of snow today. There was a very very light snow flurry at 07:30, then its been dry since then. Usually we at least catch something from a NW'ly.

The ECM looks interesting up until +168 at least, the GFS much less so.

Nine times out of ten a NW'ly brings dry weather here, too much land/high ground to cross.

Posted

Rinse and repeat of yesterday - more hail showers. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't turn more wintry overnight, though it's better than just having cold rain.

Posted

A few pictures of the snow in Cumbria, an inch or two in places.

Not sure why my phone camera decided to make the trees look like they are blowing over and my car wipers are arched LOL.

post-9615-0-79546100-1323100272_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-04853500-1323100303_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-04102400-1323100361_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-51157300-1323100518_thumb.jp

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Not in a million years is that a funnel cloud ;)

Hence the (suspected) however this feature did run across to the North behind a exceptionally heavy hail core & tracked for a good distance before it dissipated. Unfortunately I was technology free with exception of the camera, so wasn't able to see the cell on NWRadar in question at the same time.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting, gales, snow, thunderstorm

Heavy snow showers here, some have been hail showers. There was even Thunder-snow last night, which is most exciting because it is rare here (last time was February 2008), and now we have 2cm snow and counting.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

In Leeds centre atm (30m), very light rain with strong winds, feels bitter. Alot of dark cloud everywhere too, just not above Leeds.

Surprising, i did not notice it doing anything from my window (i basically live across from Leeds Met - 68m asl).

Radar does show precipitation getting ever closer to Leeds (currently passing to the north) and i am confident that it would be snow in heavier bursts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

12 hour rainfall

A selection of Pictures from Owler bar Fox House and Door Moor here this dinner time.

post-6183-0-85633200-1323100657_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-66573200-1323100673_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-98460800-1323100685_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-05224800-1323100702_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-11729800-1323100723_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-53487500-1323100746_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-27611100-1323100766_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-67082200-1323100821_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-27354200-1323100839_thumb.jp

post-6183-0-41128600-1323100929_thumb.jp