Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted

Snowing again, this time with more hail.

Temp 0.c

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Not every winter. There have been times when we do beat them. But yeah an Easterly is better for snow as they seem to be less convective, containing more snow than hail. The Irish Sea might not play ball for us this Winter. The SST's are too warm, any showers will be hail rather than snow until they penetrate inland.

Given the right set up though, we can get much more snow than the East. Take last November as an example? 1 foot of snow in around 5-6 hours of snow fall from the Irish Sea.

The deepest depth iv recorded over the last 2 winters is 7cm :smiliz65:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

No it isn't. The NW can be way better than the East at times, we just need the right set up!

Sorry BT I disagree, The east far out numbers the west in terms of Winter snowfall. We are normally left cold and dry as the north and east have all the snowfall due to northerly and easterly winds which favour them areas, wishbone effect etc.

We can see snowfalls like last Winter proved, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Sorry BT I disagree, The east far out numbers the west in terms of Winter snowfall. We are normally left cold and dry as the north and east have all the snowfall due to northerly and easterly winds which favour them areas, wishbone effect etc.

We can see snowfalls like last Winter proved, but this is the exception rather than the rule.

The NW hasn't been better for a long time, but it can happen, has happened, and will happen again.

The deepest depth iv recorded over the last 2 winters is 7cm :smiliz65:

Ouch, really?

This next shower looks like a beast. Expecting some very large hail stones from this. Will lower the temperature substantially too. :)

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Blustery snow showers keep rattleing through here, Currently 0.5C, Wind Chill -6.5C, Dew Point -8.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The NW hasn't been better for a long time, but it can happen, has happened, and will happen again.

Ouch, really?

yep honestly mate i was nearly pulling my hair out reading posts on here over the last 2 winters especially when that trough or w.e stalled around the manchester and liverpool area and gave them a foot of snow and i got zilch from it

Posted

yep honestly mate i was nearly pulling my hair out reading posts on here over the last 2 winters especially when that trough or w.e stalled around the manchester and liverpool area and gave them a foot of snow and i got zilch from it

Wow, wouldn't of thought that with you being in Cumbria. I'd say move house, but Cumbria is a nice place, it probably isn't worth it. :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Looks like snow on radar IF it makes it past them pesky Pennines!

The problem is snowstorm the radar said the showers that passed threw my area this morning where snow and they were most definatly rain not even sleety but then again you might have more luck as i have no elavation

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

The problem is snowstorm the radar said the showers that passed threw my area this morning where snow and they were most definatly rain not even sleety but then again you might have more luck as i have no elavation

Was rain here turned to snow at last minuite though and VERY icy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Looking at the latest GFS output looks like friday and onto saturday could be interesting for the north east with much colder uppers and more of a notherly flow with plenty of showers, but the problem is thats 5 days away so could completly change although the gfs has been consistent on this for sometime now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Looking at the latest GFS output looks like friday and onto saturday could be interesting for the north east with much colder uppers and more of a notherly flow with plenty of showers, but the problem is thats 5 days away so could completly change although the gfs has been consistent on this for sometime now

Yes more interesting as the week goes on

Posted

Heavy Snow here now, We should get some good streamers off the irish sea.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

A fair number of showers hit Cleadon overnight, but it wasn't cold enough, with a minimum of 1.3C overnight and a rise to about 2-3C when the showers came over. Some sleety stuff, but nothing on the ground.

Looks like the showers are dying away over Tyne and Wear/Northumberland.

Posted

BT fancy posting some of your pictures from last years snow

Posted

Anyone know if any theres any decent snowfall Alston way, Cumbria/Durham border?

Mainly rain showers here now, temp 4.3c Dp 1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

Frequent snow showers overnight have given a cover of 6.5cm here. 1cm fell in a short but heavy shower shortly before 0900 when the wind increased to 30-32 mph, gusting to 40, and snow and blowing snow reduced vis' temporarily to 200-300 mts.

Posted

My mams mate said there was alot of snow in Alston

Posted

Anyone know if any theres any decent snowfall Alston way, Cumbria/Durham border?

Well I'm not too far from Alston, been snowing on and off here all morning, about an inch covering. I'm at 250m, Alstons around 400m? So should be a decent covering there, although I'm not sure how much further east these showers have been penetrating. They do seem to always have snow up there though!

Posted

Might go out for a drive with my dogs over that way, how much snow?

Posted

Judging by the radar it looks like we had a flurries here about 3am and 5am, everything else has missed us since... looks cold, but green, outside

Posted

The nenthead webcam gives you a good idea:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cumbria/content/webcams/nenthead_webcam.shtml

Posted

The nenthead webcam gives you a good idea:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...ad_webcam.shtml

Thanks mate, looks to be a decent covering that way.

Latest weather report suggests it's snowing atm.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

BT fancy posting some of your pictures from last years snow

Can do when I get home. Just arrived at college.

Posted

Just looked at the latest models, much milder air coming in on Thursday. Heavy and persistent rain, coupled with snow melt from the mountains could cause some flooding around Cumbria. One to keep an eye on. Back to cold Friday though!