Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Just rain here -5 850s not good enough for low level snow on the coast so cant say i am suprised, nice to hear overs with some elavation getting some snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Just went really cloudy and dark and only got a few propper flakes.... southern half of the Irish Sea is dead convective wise. Wanna see some decent streamers get going!

Posted

Current temperature is 5.3C down from 6.1C at 8:56am. slight drops in temperature at the moent, but doubt it will get much lower than this. Last night temperature down to 3.5C with a dew point at 1C

Current conditions, cloudy, wind from WNW.

Dew point 1.9C rising slightly.

Real feel temperature outside is -1C

Last night had 2 torrential hail showers around 10pm through til midnight then it eased off and turned to light / moderate rain before that ended around 4am.

Never seen hail come down so violently as it did last night. No thunder or lightening as seen or heard further to the west at Crosby.

Feels very raw outside with the windchill effect.

Not expecting anysnow, I think it was always going to be marginal with elevated locations further north seeing any snow shower activity.

No Ice for my location at any time (apart from hail, which was instantly washed away by the rain that came after)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Wrong side of marginal here, but the showers are still packing in. Had tens of showers overnight looking at the radar, not worth staying up for though.

Frequent hail showers, 3.5C.

Need the Irish Sea to get going again if we're to see anything today. Uppers are -5.6C,. This is NOW ore NEVER.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

uppers are way to marginal for any low level snow for me, we need to see convectivity from the Irish Sea and its simply not there, maybe we'll get lucky tonight, but don't hold your breath.

No hail showers here, just became mostly cloudy with the sun peeping out between the clouds ocassionally now.

Posted

0.c and sunny currently with patchy snow everywhere, varying in thickness but around 1cm.

Considering I didn't have any expectations only to see some snow showers I'm happy.

On and off snow all morning. Never prolonged enough to make much of difference.

Edited by Cheese Rice

Posted

uppers are way to marginal for any low level snow for me, we need to see convectivity from the Irish Sea and its simply not there, maybe we'll get lucky tonight, but don't hold your breath.

No hail showers here, just became mostly cloudy with the sun peeping out between the clouds ocassionally now.

Nice to see you back HC. Unfortunately we will probably have to wait a while yet (January) to see some real snow.

Had a snow/hail mix last night, temperature was dropping close to freezing during showers.

Expecting nothing but hail today, there shouldn't be a shortage of showers in the afternoon as minimal solar heating get's the convection going again. Should be a fun day. Hat & gloves for college me thinks.

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

0.c and sunny currently with patchy snow everywhere, varying in thickness but around 1cm.

Considering I didn't have any expectations only to see some snow showers I'm happy.

On and off snow all morning. Never prolonged enough to make much of difference.

yes i am surprised to see what i just got it was only sleet turning to wet snow then back to sleet but i am in the east and low ground

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Nothing here except hail showers. Very chilly today, temp 4.c dewpoint 1.7c

Posted

Thanks BT. I think your going to be right with having to wait til next month to see any 'proper snow'. Should be an interesting day ahead, we may see convectivity at some point today..my concern is the temperature, there is certainly a difference between your temperature and mine at the moment, almost +2C with less than 2 or 3 miles or so seperating our locations. I was going to say cheshire gap effect, but we'd see anything going through there and there isn't a thing.

I think we'll probably see some very sharp showers today as well, which will lower the temperature quite a bit, like we saw last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

The nort west is such a crap place for snow (unless your say 250M ASL) it really is, didnt realize how crap it was until starting to look into abit more

probably shouldnt even count last night as a snowfall as it was very wet snowing for about 10 mins

Posted

Thanks BT. I think your going to be right with having to wait til next month to see any 'proper snow'. Should be an interesting day ahead, we may see convectivity at some point today..my concern is the temperature, there is certainly a difference between your temperature and mine at the moment, almost +2C with less than 2 or 3 miles or so seperating our locations. I was going to say cheshire gap effect, but we'd see anything going through there and there isn't a thing.

I think we'll probably see some very sharp showers today as well, which will lower the temperature quite a bit, like we saw last night.

Irish sea will most likely gear up around 11 to 1pm, it will certainly catch people by surprise after a small lull.

Temperatures are now 4.0C, but they were much higher yesterday. 7.2C to 2.1C during showers, so expecting something similar today.

Any showers today will be sleet or hail, the uppers are conductive to snow being -5.6C, but some elevation would be needed.

Don't be surprised to see a streamer set itself up soon. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Looks like snow on radar IF it makes it past them pesky Pennines!

Posted

Shower in the pennines en route to dissipitation... damn. Would be snow, but it'll be gone by Consett.

Maybe if you sing to it, it might be feeling nice? :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGoWtY_h4xo

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lots of snow, lots of hot sun

Around 2 cms when I left for work this morning, roads around the village a little tricky but nothing too challenging. Came through heavy hail/snow shower around Leeds on M62 an hour ago which even turned the carriageway white for a time. Good weather !

Posted

The nort west is such a crap place for snow (unless your say 250M ASL) it really is, didnt realize how crap it was until starting to look into abit more

probably shouldnt even count last night as a snowfall as it was very wet snowing for about 10 mins

No it isn't. The NW can be way better than the East at times, we just need the right set up!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

No it isn't. The NW can be way better than the East at times, we just need the right set up!

The East get more snow than us every winter

Posted

The East get more snow than us every winter

Not every winter. There have been times when we do beat them. But yeah an Easterly is better for snow as they seem to be less convective, containing more snow than hail. The Irish Sea might not play ball for us this Winter. The SST's are too warm, any showers will be hail rather than snow until they penetrate inland.

Given the right set up though, we can get much more snow than the East. Take last November as an example? 1 foot of snow in around 5-6 hours of snow fall from the Irish Sea.