Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted

:rofl:

Can just see your roof flying through your neighbours front window!!!

Don't say that! The dust has only just settled on our last argument with them hahaha, but that's another story :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Don't say that! The dust has only just settled on our last argument with them hahaha, but that's another story :p

Aww damn.

I'm sure your roof will be fine. Mine on the other hand... anything above 45mph would rip it clean off. :rofl:

Posted

Lots of action after weeks and weeks of nothing - almost too much to discuss. All eyes should be on the low pressure on Thursday - this is a developing storm and winds could very easily touch storm force in places- high ground definately not the place to be.

Friday it will all be about the snow. Too early to give details.

That storm certainly has my attention.

Some heavy precip. coming in from the west at the moment,could be freezing rain for some areas. :excl:

edit.

Heavy sleety rain just started here falling onto icy surfaces. :vava:

Edited by Cloud 10

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

A few sleety bits of rain in the last 10 minutes :)

About 2.5°C.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Heavy Rain here its bitter out there!

Posted

There appears to be some 'Freezing Rain' to the North West of us as purple on the radar, first time i've seen that since purchasing the NW radar... Interesting!

Posted

Just watched the good old Look North and Cumbria BBC weather forecast, I do miss it... we get NW news, and it isn't a patch on the Look North weather forecasts. Eno and Diane are notorious mild lovers - they detest the snow and always say how awful things are whenever there is slightest bit of cold. Look North presenters just get on with it - secretly I think they are snow and cold lovers... they also often show weather scenes from the Lake District, something BBC NW don't do.

It was interesting how the look north forecast appeared on the bbc website for when I look at the 5 day forecast for Windermere. I think the BBC are a bit out on max temps for friday they are showing 5's and 6's more likely to be 2's and 3's at best and under any snow showers watch them tumble down to 0 degrees, suspect they will change them tomorrow.

Friday night could be a notable cold one wherever there is snowcover...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Interesting, Altnaharra has gone from -5C to +2C in the last 2 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Damian, I've been to the look north weather studio and I can tell you I sensed a lot of cold lovers in there, Trai and Paul mostly :p

The band has cleared now as radar shows.

Posted

65mph gusts predicted here on Thursday, which would beat our 60mph set on the 12th of September earlier this year from this storm system...

Rrea00120110912.gif

Baring in mind this is 0Z and the gust was recorded around 14Z :rolleyes:

Edited by Andy163

Posted

I hope so to because our see defences are in the process of being rebuilt in redcar so i would be terrible timing and could course some serious Improvement.

EFA :good:

Posted

It'll change of course and has like a 0% chance of actually happening that way but if the 18z came off then things would certainly look very interesting for the overnight period from late Friday to Saturday morning for this area.

And even more so in Cumbria where Liam J and few others live.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

A lot of us didn't miss out, remember the 18th December event? a lot of NE England missed out on that whilst some places such as Southport in NW England copped it.

I remember it well Mr Data as I was stranded on the M58 trying to get home from Liverpool to Preston. Never seen so much snow and chaos round these parts in all my life.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

After the 3rd of December, north east England received little to no snow.

Posted

Any ideas if merseyside will see any snow?

Im in Liverpool for the next few days as well. It's difficult to say what will happen here because the irish sea will only serve to drive temperatures up. The best hope is that the 850's will be cold enough to sink down along with heavy showers that can readily bring down the freezing layer. I would say expect some snow, but i doubt any of it will settle.

Any other opinions on this?

Posted

Im in Liverpool for the next few days as well. It's difficult to say what will happen here because the irish sea will only serve to drive temperatures up. The best hope is that the 850's will be cold enough to sink down along with heavy showers that can readily bring down the freezing layer. I would say expect some snow, but i doubt any of it will settle.

Any other opinions on this?

According to the latest 18z GFS model run there's at the least a 35% chance of snow falling on Friday and at the most a 67% chance ofit doing so in the early hours of Saturday morning for the Merseyside area.

That's just one run though and things could quite easily look quite a lot different come the morning never mind the runs following that but if the current general trend continues providing it isn't downgraded too much then you should get snow yes.

It's not really a definitive answer but that's all i can really give at this stage.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted

Just been on the storm thread and the winds are looking pretty severe for Thursday!

Can anyone hazard a guess as to whether the isle of man will see some of the white stuff with th upcoming set-up? I must say its looking marginal for us but then what do I know!

Posted

I remember it well Mr Data as I was stranded on the M58 trying to get home from Liverpool to Preston. Never seen so much snow and chaos round these parts in all my life.

ha ha lancs lass i live right by the m58 we had 15inches of the stuff in 1 day the motorway was at a standstill ppl abandoned their cars because the gritters couldnt even cope the tractors was pulling the gritters out of the hedges here in skelmersdale the last 3 days here we have had really bad hailstones on and off bad one last night wonder if we will see some all the forecasts from the bbc etc say we wil have heavy rain here no snow but then again they was wrong about the hailstones we was just to get the rain hmm