Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Look at Barnard Castle on Google Maps. Then look to the NW slightly, you'll see places such as Middleton in Teesdale, Forest in Teesdale etc. I don't know which village he's in, some are considerably higher up than others!

Must be quite high up if he's got snow at the minute. Some people are so lucky. :)

Backtrack, will the Irish Sea be any cooler on Friday compared to what it was say yesterday or last night?

Honestly don't know mate. They're way above average atm, I can't see a light cold spell cooling it too much in the space of 4-5 days.

Might knock 0.5C off, but nothing substantial?

Edited by Backtrack

Posted

I know, but we've not had any proper snow since last January.

And that spell only lasted for a few hours, seemed to snow quite heavily for a bit that day in early January providing a very decent covering before things warmed up and it turned to rain washing and melting everything away just as quickly as it had fallen.

Obviously I'd take anything at the minute but back then considering the weather we'd just had the month before it was very disappointing.

Posted

Backtrack, will the Irish Sea be any cooler on Friday compared to what it was say yesterday or last night?

Slightly but I wouldn't think it'd make a huge amount of difference. A decent wind storm would help somewhat as it will help to mix the water levels and cool the warmer surface.

Posted

And that spell only lasted for a few hours, seemed to snow quite heavily for a bit that day in early January providing a very decent covering before things warmed up and it turned to rain washing and melting everything away just as quickly as it had fallen.

Obviously I'd take anything at the minute but back then considering the weather we'd just had the month before it was very disappointing.

Yeah it was utterly rubbish after December :(

Next year should be good. :winky:

http://www.teesdale.co.uk/

http://www.teesdalediscovery.com/

These links may help you.

Warming up now was down to -1.4C earlier

Thank you :D

Slightly but I wouldn't think it'd make a huge amount of difference. A decent wind storm would help somewhat as it will help to mix the water levels and cool the warmer surface.

Will next weeks be enough to mix the water levels?

airpressure.png

Btw, just been looking at the GFS.

Would I be right in thinking there could be some back edge snow in the NE as colder air undercuts the band of rain? They pick the 528 DAM up, and -5C uppers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Temperature hovering at 2°C here, and a light frost is forming on the car.

Is there any hope at all for snow for the North-east thursday/friday?

Similarly to the last cold snap there is the chance for the odd flurry, but with gale force winds a few more showers should make it over here. If you're able to get up in the Pennines at the weekend they should be pasted again.

Thank you :D

Will next weeks be enough to mix the water levels?

airpressure.png

Btw, just been looking at the GFS.

Would I be right in thinking there could be some back edge snow in the NE as colder air undercuts the band of rain? They pick the 528 DAM up, and -5C uppers.

Its certainly a possibility, but these marginal scenarios usually only deliver lying snow to high ground, unless there is already cold air ahead of the front.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

The latest gfs run moves the storm alot futher south and closer to the coast of the north east if this trend continues on the next couple of runs a storm surge and coastal flooding down the east coast will become a high probability especially seen as though the peak of the tide coinsides with the strongest winds. Also a tide of 5.4 is predicted for my area which although is not a big spring tide is still a decent size tide. One to watch i feel.

Posted

I remember a low pressure system very similar to this during the summer. There was a huge band of rain which was about 30 miles west of Newcastle and stayed there for most of the days, not moving an inch.

Posted

The latest gfs run moves the storm alot futher south and closer to the coast of the north east if this trend continues on the next couple of runs a storm surge and coastal flooding down the east coast will become a high probability especially seen as though the peak of the tide coinsides with the strongest winds. Also a tide of 5.4 is predicted for my area which although is not a big spring tide is still a decent size tide. One to watch i feel.

I seriously hope this storm is downgraded, although my house is on a slight hill (80m asl whereas the surrounding areas are near sea level) so there's no risk of flooding here.

Posted

Still standing by your forecast then?

If that's the case then post Christmas/new year and beyond is when the real fun games should begin, lets hope so anyway. :)

Posted

Temperature hovering at 2°C here, and a light frost is forming on the car.

Similarly to the last cold snap there is the chance for the odd flurry, but with gale force winds a few more showers should make it over here. If you're able to get up in the Pennines at the weekend they should be pasted again.

Its certainly a possibility, but these marginal scenarios usually only deliver lying snow to high ground, unless there is already cold air ahead of the front.

There is cold air ahead of the front already in place though, and so far the uppers are hanging on much better than the GFS suggests, still being below -5C in most areas in the East.

Certainly one for you to watch!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

What this backedge snow tonight then? doubt it with our luck

Posted

just had a sleet shower but nothing to write home about it also snowed a little lastnight but then we hail all night with thunder and lightning thrown in.

i have noot had much time to read whats this winter holds as i have not had the time could anybody fill me in and is it gonna be anything like last year??

my gut feeling tells me not cheers.

Posted

There is cold air ahead of the front already in place though, and so far the uppers are hanging on much better than the GFS suggests, still being below -5C in most areas in the East.

Certainly one for you to watch!

I was talking about Thursday night's event (or non event) - 850s will be over 0 before the front hits on Thursday afternoon.

Posted

Still standing by your forecast then?

If that's the case then post Christmas/new year and beyond is when the real fun games should begin, lets hope so anyway. :)

Yeah, did you read my winter forecast? :)

It's all dependant on how quickly the band of rain moves through. If it's slower moving than models suggest, then you could be having some fun later on.

Posted

on december 17th last year we had 15inches of snow here and have had snow 3 years running on that day the weathermen said we was due rain for the past 3 days and did it rain no it hailed like mad pelted windows with hailstones about the size of a 2 pence peice bring on the snow

Posted

I was talking about Thursday night's event (or non event) - 850s will be over 0 before the front hits on Thursday afternoon.

Ah, I was talking about tonight. Looks interesting to me on the GFS. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I seriously hope this storm is downgraded, although my house is on a slight hill (80m asl whereas the surrounding areas are near sea level) so there's no risk of flooding here.

I hope so to because our see defences are in the process of being rebuilt in redcar so i would be terrible timing and could course some serious damage.

Posted

Ah, I was talking about tonight. Looks interesting to me on the GFS. :)

Maybe, but I see nothing more than a few hours of sleet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

LOL doubt it with our luck? how many feet of snow did you get last winter again again? my deepest snowfall last winter was 7cm

Posted

Maybe, but I see nothing more than a few hours of sleet.

Better than plain old rain though! With some elevation you could be seeing a few hours of snow.

LOL doubt it with our luck? how many feet of snow did you get last winter again again? my deepest snowfall last winter was 7cm

This one will be exclusive to the East.

Posted

Better than plain old rain though! With some elevation you could be seeing a few hours of snow.

Suppose so, but at 80m asl I won't be! Consett / Stanley should get a dusting this evening before it turns slightly milder (less cold?) overnight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Im sorry if im so downbeat but Im dying for snow :p

Posted

Suppose so, but at 80m asl I won't be! Consett / Stanley should get a dusting this evening before it turns slightly milder (less cold?) overnight.

Only for cold to return tomorrow, move away Thursday afternoon, and return Thursday night. :lol: