Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

There will be other opportunities for us during the winter I'm sure, still plenty of time to go. :) And if winter fails, we always got summer to look forward two. :rolleyes:

It would be very unusual to have no significant snow all winter. And we are the thunderstorm capital of the UK now, so Summer is always good :)

I'm looking forward to some more interesting winter weather for the time being though, it is only the 5th December!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Just had a fluttering of snow :)

Looks like we have one more chance for a proper snow shower as the showers seem to be gathering strength across Dumfries yet again.

I hope i get a dusting that was agony ive just gone through

Posted

We don't! We have nothing to look forward to! Hahahhaha, joking but in all seriousness after i finish my degree i'm getting a job in Canada :p

Just get a job in Aviemore or commute from Aviemore to Inverness, its probably snowier than most of Canada anyway. Calgary and Toronto are fairly dry I know. I've always fancied New Brunswick myself though, I like the sounds of 300cm a year!

Posted

A very light dusting of snow this morning.. Had a very treacherous drive to Penrith and back, heavy snow on the M6 late morning and buffeting winds, then heavy snow on the way back between junctions 39-36. Have to say I wasn't expecting the showers to be as lively as they were - convection and evaporative cooling at work. Temps maxed out at 1 degrees for much of the day which is preety cold for early december. I think if we were in Feb then today would have easily brought sub-zero temps and snow would have fallen easily down to sea level thanks to lower SST's and colder uppers..

There is a good covering of wet snow above about 150m in this part of Cumbria. Kendal at 50m saw barely a dusting - shows how a bit of altitude can make a world of difference, reminds me of the 19th Feb this year when windermere had an inch of snow and Kendal nothing.

I think we are unlikely to see any snow now until possibly Friday.. Snow reserved for ground above 250m.

The fells have a fair winter white cloak - but the milder interlude on Thursday could strip much of them bare.. watch those rivers rise. Friday should see snow down to quite low levels again.. and I am still hoping saturday can deliver a dry clear day - conditions could be perfect for a winter fell walk.. keeping my fingers crossed the ridge can hold out against the atlantic..

5th December a proper winters day in the Lake District, more severe than anything last winter delivered in terms of 'blizzard conditions' but obviously not in terms of depth of cold.

Posted

Next chance now lining up on the radar but weaker than last so doubt it will make it but an eye on it all the same

Posted

Just get a job in Aviemore or commute from Aviemore to Inverness, its probably snowier than most of Canada anyway. Calgary and Toronto are fairly dry I know. I've always fancied New Brunswick myself though, I like the sounds of 300cm a year!

Mate theres so many jobs going in Canada compared to over here its ridiculous, I was looking at Calgary/ Winnipeg like, i here they have better Summers than us too - Dry and Hot.

In other news, Jarrow is still dry as a bone!

Edited by Andy163

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Precipitation is going bye bye for northern England now..

Mate theres so many jobs going in Canada compared to over here its ridiculous, I was looking at Calgary/ Winnipeg like, i here they have better Summers than us too - Dry and Hot.

In other news, Jarrow is still dry as a bone!

Hehe, so many jobs in Canada, I think young Canadians will disagree with you there! Canada has much warmer summers then we do, parts of Canada have average high temperatures of 30c in July.. way too hot for me

Posted

Oh well, that last chance is drying up before my eyes. Enjoy the frost though, its -1°C here :)

Posted

Precipitation is going bye bye for northern England now..

Hehe, so many jobs in Canada, I think young Canadians will disagree with you there! Canada has much warmer summers then we do, parts of Canada have average high temperatures of 30c in July.. way too hot for me

Well there is in Architecture lmao, and 30C is fine in North America they actually believe in Air Conditioning in homes unlike us <_<

I can't believe theres another shower approaching Carlisle, i need to stop watching the radar its driving me insane LOL

Edited by Andy163

Posted

I give up thats it game over for first half of this week now I think any chance for us Id say Thursday Night onwards.

Posted

Well there is in Architecture lmao, and 30C is fine in North America they actually believe in Air Conditioning in homes unlike us <_<

I can't believe theres another shower approaching Carlisle, i need to stop watching the radar its driving me insane LOL

But you barely get any annual holiday from work in North America, and there's always the problem of getting a visa...

Posted

But you barely get any annual holiday from work in North America, and there's always the problem of getting a visa...

True, but you can get a working Visa, its a programme called 'Come to Canada', with like a list of different Careers where they ask for skilled workers with a degree and that to immigrate.

Just an idea, especially if the UK economy doesn't pick up.

Posted

True, but you can get a working Visa, its a programme called 'Come to Canada', with like a list of different Careers where they ask for skilled workers with a degree and that to immigrate.

Just an idea, especially if the UK economy doesn't pick up.

I'd go for Yellowknife - proper winters but still some semblance of civlisation... they probably even have better summers than us in the NE!

Posted

I'd go for Yellowknife - proper winters but still some semblance of civlisation... they probably even have better summers than us in the NE!

Really? That's well far north haha i think i would get sick of -30 everyday :p

Posted

Really? That's well far north haha i think i would get sick of -30 everyday :p

It's become an obsession! I used to watch a great webcam there (now offline) that was real time and great quality... hell I'd just love to go there for a January... on my way to Ojmjakon (long route). ;)

Posted

Lol yep Yellowknife for the bravest! Montreal or Quebec sounds brilliant- and Zermatt, Kiruna or Munich if you decide for Europe Andy :)

1.0c here now.

Munich is a definite possibility! Loved it when i went there in the summer.

It's become an obsession! I used to watch a great webcam there (now offline) that was real time and great quality... hell I'd just love to go there for a January... on my way to Ojmjakon (long route). ;)

Yeah i'd go there for like a holiday but i don't think i could live there LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

3.4C.

Convection being rapidly killed off now as the uppers are rapidly rising over the Irish Sea. Could well be it now until the next cold shot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

A quick question that I'd love anyone to answer.. When we get easterly winds and uppers usually fall, do we get a cold front to introduce the easterly/north-easterly or does it gradually just get cooler?? Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

Lol yep Yellowknife for the bravest! Montreal or Quebec sounds brilliant- and Zermatt, Kiruna or Munich if you decide for Europe Andy :)

1.0c here now.

St John's, Newfoundland for me, thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._John%27s,_Newfoundland_and_Labrador#Climate

:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

A quick question that I'd love anyone to answer.. When we get easterly winds and uppers usually fall, do we get a cold front to introduce the easterly/north-easterly or does it gradually just get cooler?? Thanks.

Just gradually gets colder. There isn't always a cold front associated with a colder air mass. :)

Posted

Woah another bout of showers very intense heading towards me surely surely they wont dissipate now!

Posted

Sleey showers at present thanks to slightly milder uppers and less convection. The fells continue to generate evaporative cooling and it has been this factor that has helped many of the showers to fall as snow down to low levels in central and eastern lake district including here - we are just far enough away from the coast and high enough to do very well in these set ups.

Posted

VERY heavy snow in SW Scotland, but I'm not going to watch the radar this time ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Woah another bout of showers very intense heading towards me surely surely they wont dissipate now!

Yes been keeping an eye on that still got some hills to clear yet but fingers crossed, the wind seemes to of picked up a little can only help i would think