Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

VERY heavy snow in SW Scotland, but I'm not going to watch the radar this time ;)

Lol I know what you mean I cant watch this time although I am its like slow torcher

Yes been keeping an eye on that still got some hills to clear yet but fingers crossed, the wind seemes to of picked up a little can only help i would think

LETS ALL PRAY !

And they start to die bloody typical!

Posted

VERY heavy snow in SW Scotland, but I'm not going to watch the radar this time ;)

Aaaah! I don't think i can take much more of this LOL... They look like they should make it across to us, but common sense doesn't seem to apply in this situation :pardon:

Posted

Aaaah! I don't think i can take much more of this LOL... They look like they should make it across to us, but common sense doesn't seem to apply in this situation :pardon:

And to think that last year we'd've half turned our nose up at this sort of potential snowfall. I was into a "oh, it's snowing again" mode by now!

Posted

And to think that last year we'd've half turned our nose up at this sort of potential snowfall. I was into a "oh, it's snowing again" mode by now!

Same I was so spoilt! And the showers may now make it again argh so confused

Posted

i KNOW lol it was so nice not having to chase every possible encounter of snow like a headless chicken, it just came along as if it was normal everyday, what winter should be like!

Posted

i KNOW lol it was so nice not having to chase every possible encounter of snow like a headless chicken, it just came along as if it was normal everyday, what winter should be like!

What was great was that my 75 year old mother-in-law who's from Venezuela and had never seen snow lying or falling in her life got to see loads - she missed the Nov/early Dec falls, but there were some nice top-ups between then and Christmas, and she even went sledging on Observatory Hill... first time ever... at 75!

Posted

Raining here night :'(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Bt what u reckon for snow on friday. Dps will be 0 or lower. The 528 dam line and the -5 850s are all favourable

Posted

What was great was that my 75 year old mother-in-law who's from Venezuela and had never seen snow lying or falling in her life got to see loads - she missed the Nov/early Dec falls, but there were some nice top-ups between then and Christmas, and she even went sledging on Observatory Hill... first time ever... at 75!

Ah thats amazing haha! My relatives from Italy came over a few years ago and it was snowing for them! Although they do tend to get at least one snowfall a year on the Central East coast of Italy when the wind blows over the Adriatic Sea from Austria or Croatia

Posted

How is everyone here feeling about Friday. It looks like a strong north westerly flow so there should be plenty of showers, the uppers will be at -7C in places so surely snow showers should go quite a bit inland.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Bt what u reckon for snow on friday. Dps will be 0 or lower. The 528 dam line and the -5 850s are all favourable

Looks fantastic, uppers will only be with us for 24-30 hours though.

We are a few days away yet, so just pray for upgrades. :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Friday looks interesting briefly, -8c T850 makes it just into Cumbria on the 18z, enough for low level snowfall before the cold uppers get pushed away eastwards. -6c T850 brushing as far south as Cheshire, so more marginal away from the northern parts of N england given that the current colder spell had uppers of -5c to -5.5c and low level areas only experienced a wintry mix rain,hail,sleet & wet snow at best. snow level here is about 150m+ and 200m+ for decent accumulations.

The next thing to watch for is severe gales Wednesday morning and then again during Thursday, could be very nasty.

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Upper temperatures have plummeted by about 1.5C over the Irish Sea. As a result the convection has again started up.

Bring that on. :D

Posted

Looking at the data in more detail blizzard conditions could occur on Friday over Scotland and the far north of England mainly over high ground but not exclusively, 520 dam line and uppers below -6c and falling moving into Cumbria with Dewp around -1c to -2c add into that a large area of ppn as currently modelled :good:

Still it's only Tuesday and it may all go wrong yet! I can dream.... :p

Upper temperatures have plummeted by about 1.5C over the Irish Sea. As a result the convection has again started up.

Bring that on. :D

Uppers are still -5c over the Irish Sea and just above towards the mainland, the postcode zoom for me shows an pool of -6c uppers over N Cumbria :)

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Looking at the data in more detail blizzard conditions could occur on Friday over Scotland and the far north of England mainly over high ground but not exclusively, 520 dam line and uppers below -6c and falling moving into Cumbria with Dewp around -1c to -2c add into that a large area of ppn as currently modelled :good:

Still it's only Tuesday and it may all go wrong yet! I can dream.... :p

Uppers are still -5c over the Irish Sea and just above towards the mainland, the postcode zoom for me shows an pool of -6c uppers over N Cumbria :)

Yeah they briefly rose to -4C earlier, that's why we had the lull in convection I guess. Now we have the colder uppers, the convection has restarted. :)

Posted

Yeah they briefly rose to -4C earlier, that's why we had the lull in convection I guess. Now we have the colder uppers, the convection has restarted. :)

Some beefy showers moving out of SW Scotland heading this way :)

The temps and DP's look high around your area, 4-5c DP's around 2c.

Posted

Some beefy showers moving out of SW Scotland heading this way :)

The temps and DP's look high around your area, 4-5c DP's around 2c.

It's just hail I've been getting anyway.

3.8C, dewpoint 1.2C.

Posted

It's just hail I've been getting anyway.

3.8C, dewpoint 1.2C.

that's all I've been getting here, not quite what we need for snow but I suppose hail is better than just rain.

My temp 3.7c DP 0.9c so pretty much the same.

Posted

that's all I've been getting here, not quite what we need for snow but I suppose hail is better than just rain.

My temp 3.7c DP 0.9c so pretty much the same.

Yep. I love the hail. Would take hail over a horrible covering of slush any day. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Hail over snow? no way

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Yep. I love the hail. Would take hail over a horrible covering of slush any day. :)

I think most people would settle for Hail over slush ;)

Posted

Looks like something might make it here... but temp has risen to 2.6°C, DP at 0.3°C, so may well not be snow after all this.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Raining :lol: