Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

The above was supposed to be a response to BT not to yourself, my bad sorry lol

2 miles and +6.4C ...not sure how you managed to even get sleet or snow, since runcorn only recorded heavy hail showers. Today mild murk and heavy rain showers mixed with light hail.

Last 24 hours no chance for snow, dew point on the very very positive side of things and remained that way through saturday and sunday night, last night it was even milder. Temperature did not deviate below +5C, with ocassional light rain showers.

Today 7.3C tomorrow should see an even bigger increase in temperature to around 8/9C and by Thursday 11C, then by friday back to 7C.

Atlantic looks mobile enough to give up plenty of rain..maybe a few useless and annoying hail showers...but sleet and snow?..thats more like wishful thinking..if you'd have had sleet / snow so would I and since its been way way to mild and beyond marginal throughout the whole of yesterday I just find the claim rather odd..not saying I dont believe you...but fact is, your too close for me not to have gotten the same ./ similar weather since we tend to share snow events...nada yesterday..was too mild..we had a lot of rain

Lots of flakes mixed with the hail yesterday. Looks to be some heavy showers moving in now, uppers are -4.4C, obviously too warm for snow at sea level, but the instability is still there, as we've just had a hail shower.

It's 5.0C

During the hail showers the temperature was falling to 2.5C HC, and I'm further south than you, many of the heavier showers yesterday were tracking slightly south of you, so that's probably the reason. We even had some lightning in there. :)

Friday is looking good for us at the moment. Very strong winds, gusting to 50-70mph and the possibility of snow as uppers reach -6C and the DAM is sub 525. Dewpoints look like being the right side of marginal for a change too. We shall see. :winky:

HELLOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

2011128.jpg

Snow showers are expected late on Thursday and through Friday. The public should be aware that these will be heavy at times, and may give significant accumulations that could disrupt travel. Gale or severe gale force northwesterly winds will accompany the snow showers, perhaps leading to drifting over high ground, but these winds will slowly moderate during Friday.

Posted

Thanks Backtrack, was just going to post something along those lines as well. Looks like those of us nearer the coast may get something out of this "less mild" spell after all :good:

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted

Thanks Backtrack, was just going to post something along those lines as well. Looks like those of us nearer the coast may get something out of this "less mild" spell after all :good:

Would be about bloody time too. But I'm going to wait until tomorrow's 12z to be totally convinced.

Expect uppers to rise between now and Thursday afternoon (although briefly dropping to -5C on Wednesday). Afterwards a cold front will move through dropping the temperatures dramatically. How much remains to be seen, but it's this that will be playing an absolute vital role of determining what we see fall from the sky. Rain, sleet or snow.

Posted

Gonna dig out some of my snow pictures from last year today. Just to make it seem more seasonal. :)

Temperature continues to plummet. 4.2C under light rain. Could be a cold night where skies clear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/yh/leeds_forecast_weather.html

Highs of 3C and lows of -2C for Leeds.. that's far more of a cold spell then what we have had in recent days.

Posted

You need to understand that the synoptics have to be perfectly timed for this part of the region, I mean pefectly timed.

The Irish sea SST are on the mild side, which isn't surprising. Then we had marginal uppers at -5.6C this would ordinarily

be enough if your ASL was at around 300m and even better higher, where temperatures are more conducive.

Unfortunately for our part of the region, nothing went remotely right, which is understandable when you consider all the

facts of the situation. We where simply to warm, was it the sea? It played a part yes, but there where other factors that

where simply not conducive for us to see any snow.

What we had where hail showers, some of these torrential at times throughout today, but the temperature did no vary at all

even in those torrential hail showers..if any thing this evening, as seen a slight increase in the temperature.

Current temperature is slowly dropping.

Temp +5.5C down from 6.1C 1 hour ago.

DP +3C +1C increase in past 2.5 hours

Wind chill -0.4C

Humidity 86%

Barometer 1002.2mb slowly rising

Visibility 11KM

Wind Direction: West

Wind Speed 29 K/PH gust 38 K/PH ocassionally

You are right of course. That was just a quip more than anything else(not a very thought out one I'll admit) to vent my frustration at how things were going.

On the other hand things still pretty much look game for the period leading into the weekend at the minute.

Fingers crossed it stays that way and doesn't downgrade.

Lovely winters day lots of sunshine, despite temp rising to 1.1C no evidence of any thaw.

Temp fell back to -1.4C, now -0.8C with approaching precipitation.

Decent snowfall in the Stainmore area,much more snow there than further west around Shap or Troutbeck/Penruddock area.

Must over 15cm with drifts 2/3ft on Durham side of border.6466378451_ac59799dea_b.jpg

Mark

www.teesdaleweather.co.uk

Posted

3.9C with 2/8 oktas.

Friday is looking excellent for Western parts of NW England. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

3.9C with 2/8 oktas.

Friday is looking excellent for Western parts of NW England. :good:

AGAIN :(

Posted

Again? All we have had is rain and hail. The hail didn't even stick on the ground. So yes, again!

No Met Office warning for the East for snow. Just wind.

Posted

Again? All we have had is rain and hail. The hail didn't even stick on the ground. So yes, again!

No Met Office warning for the East for snow. Just wind.

Still it turned ground white at periods ! :p I noticed sadly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

To be fair the NE usually always see something and spare a thought for our fellow NW'ers after last year when we were drowned in snow and they missed out. Fair is fair it's their turn and I for one am glad they aren't missing out this year lol :-))

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Friday looks less marginal, so some of you who missed out yesterday could get some snow on Friday :)

I still haven't had a covering of snow this winter, but in around a third of winters we have to wait until after Christmas anyway so its not time to worry in the North East yet. Someone in the Winter Discussion thread said this month compares to December 1993, and look what happened the following February in the North East - two easterlies, each delivering a significant snowfall, so just because the cold seems to be coming from the NW at the moment doesn't mean it will all winter.

Posted

Still it turned ground white at periods ! :p I noticed sadly

I know, but we've not had any proper snow since last January. It's our turn this side of the new year, yours probably will come in January.

Posted

To be fair the NE usually always see something and spare a thought for our fellow NW'ers after last year when we were drowned in snow and they missed out. Fair is fair it's their turn and I for one am glad they aren't missing out this year lol :-))

You won't be saying that by the end of the winter if we get a repeat of 06/07! Unless you like getting a dusting of snow several times during the winter, but never anything significant. :(

I know, but we've not had any proper snow since last January. It's our turn this side of the new year, yours probably will come in January.

I'm going for February for our first 4 inch fall. I have a feeling we'll have to wait a while this year, and I'm using 04/05 as an analogue.

Edited by alza

Posted

Friday looks less marginal, so some of you who missed out yesterday could get some snow on Friday :)

I still haven't had a covering of snow this winter, but in around a third of winters we have to wait until after Christmas anyway so its not time to worry in the North East yet. Someone in the Winter Discussion thread said this month compares to December 1993, and look what happened the following February in the North East - two easterlies, each delivering a significant snowfall, so just because the cold seems to be coming from the NW at the moment doesn't mean it will all winter.

Good thing is, with a more Northerly element to the flow, the Irish Sea won't be having as much as a warming effect, that's why the Met Office issued the warning I feel. If the flow is downgraded to NW instead of NNW, then it will probably be game over for us yet again.

Uppers at times will be -8C though - more than enough to produce snow even down to coastal sea level. Even if we do get snow though, it will only be lasting until Sunday. So the NE isn't missing out on much. Will be great to see it though, even if it is for a day or two. :D

Posted

A lot of us didn't miss out, remember the 18th December event? a lot of NE England missed out on that whilst some places such as Southport in NW England copped it.

Edited by Mr_Data

Posted

You won't be saying that by the end of the winter if we get a repeat of 06/07! Unless you like getting a dusting of snow several times during the winter, but never anything significant. :(

I'm going for February for our first 4 inch fall. I have a feeling we'll have to wait a while this year, and I'm using 04/05 as an analogue.

Mid-January for me. Just can't see you missing out for that long. Wait and see, I guarantee mid to late January will deliver an absolute corker of an Easterly for you.

A lot of us didn't miss out, remember the 18th December event? a lot of NE England missed out on that whilst some places such as Southport copped it.

I got 1ft of snow from that. :D

Posted

Im just snow starved! :(

Posted

A lot of us didn't miss out, remember the 18th December event? a lot of NE England missed out on that whilst some places such as Southport copped it.

True, though to be fair when I went home on the 22nd there was 3 inches in Newcastle which lasted through Boxing Day, so not too bad really.

With that rain moving in from the west I wonder if we'll get a short spell of light snow this evening? 2°C here and falling, so its possible.

Mid-January for me. Just can't see you missing out for that long. Wait and see, I guarantee mid to late January will deliver an absolute corker of an Easterly for you.

I'll hold you to that! Be warned, there have been a handful of winters last decade which never delivered 4 inches at all. :p

What we've been missing is a 1979 style blizzard. In March of that year there was a stationary front which, with help from the North Sea, delivered 50cm (20 inches) over 48 hours with gale force winds, and according to my parents there were drifts up to the upstairs windows in Longframlington where they lived at the time. That would be an amazing experience!

Edited by alza

Posted

True, though to be fair when I went home on the 22nd there was 3 inches in Newcastle which lasted through Boxing Day, so not too bad really.

With that rain moving in from the west I wonder if we'll get a short spell of light snow this evening? 2°C here and falling, so its possible.

I'll hold you to that! Be warned, there have been a handful of winters last decade which never delivered 4 inches at all. :p

Aye, but not in modern winters. It'll come. Just you wait and see. :D

Snowing at present :good:

Where is Teesdale? Can't find it on Google maps. Just comes up with somewhere in Australia

Ahhh, found it :p

Edited by Backtrack

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm & partly cloudy.

Backtrack, will the Irish Sea be any cooler on Friday compared to what it was say yesterday or last night?

Posted

Aye, but not in modern winters. It'll come. Just you wait and see. :D

Where the hell is Teesdale? Can't find it on Google maps. Just comes up with somewhere in Australia!

Look at Barnard Castle on Google Maps. Then look to the NW slightly, you'll see places such as Middleton in Teesdale, Forest in Teesdale etc. I don't know which village he's in, some are considerably higher up than others!