Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England - Cold Spell Discussion Part 2

snow raven

Posted

Rinse and repeat of yesterday - more hail showers. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't turn more wintry overnight, though it's better than just having cold rain.

Yup, looks like our good old friend the irish sea has helped things water down a bit meaning no proper snowy precipitation.

But ah well there's always next time, whenever that may be.

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Heavy snow showers here, some have been hail showers. There was even Thunder-snow last night, which is most exciting because it is rare here (last time was February 2008), and now we have 2cm snow and counting.

welcome to the forum, could you put your location in your profile please mate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Heavy snow showers here, some have been hail showers. There was even Thunder-snow last night, which is most exciting because it is rare here (last time was February 2008), and now we have 2cm snow and counting.

I has thunder snow here last night, the sky went blue it was awesome :)

Temp has fallen off here slightly under clear skies, 1.9c and the wind has also eased off.

Edited by Liam J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Still getting heavy hail every 10-20 minutes. Temperature is down to 3.9C, and mum informs me it completely covered the streets at one point. :)

Posted

A few showers have made it over to this side of the country but all of them have been rain here. We're still waiting for the first air frost of the season. Last night's min was 2.5C, the lowest so far this Autumn/Winter is 2.2C.

Currently 3.4C with a dewpoint of 1.7C.

Posted

I am now down to 3.4C with a dewpoint of 1.4C.

Good stuff. :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Showers, Snowy Periods , Blizzards, Cold Weather

Whats Northeast main chance of snow this week?

Posted

Spray from the sea being sucked up into the sky, and freezing upon impact to the ground, causing freezing rain.

Joke. Tuesday afternoon for you. Marginal at best though.

Posted

Backtrack, we're having another really heavy hail shower again here at the moment. The sky is really black but we can see the edge of it with the sun behind. It's heading your way I reckon.

Posted

Spray from the sea being sucked up into the sky, and freezing upon impact to the ground, causing freezing rain.

Joke. Tuesday afternoon for you. Marginal at best though.

LOL and really seems sunny tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Last night :p

Maybe Thursday night if back edge snow follows the rain. It looks like high ground will get a pasting on Thursday night, so if nothing falls at low levels it might be worth visiting Alston or somewhere at the weekend.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

probably to get a flight out of the UK to Canada.....

Seriously though, the hilly western parts of the region have done OK (weardale, teesdale and Consett of course), and the lack of influence from the sea (lower DPs) means it is sticking even in bright sunshine so from my IMBY view, we have done OK.

It being the north-east, look for the least likely set-up, then it will snow.....that aside, think Weds am, early on....

Posted

Don't think we have one! Today has been a write off and tomorrow looks worse... and Friday looks like a possible repeat of today, but with probably better synoptics for the West, with slightly colder upper air... We would need some kind of trough on Friday/ Saturday

Posted

Last night :p

Maybe Thursday night if back edge snow follows the rain. It looks like high ground will get a pasting on Thursday night, so if nothing falls at low levels it might be worth visiting Alston or somewhere at the weekend.

Very funny! :p And hope we get a snow event and I can't travel anywere as don't have a car :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and heat, North Sea snow

Very funny! :p And hope we get a snow event and I can't travel anywere as don't have a car :p

Bus / train?

Incidentally the showers are moving in the right direction again this evening, but I doubt they'll make it over the Pennines.

Edited by alza

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

probably to get a flight out of the UK to Canada.....

Seriously though, the hilly western parts of the region have done OK (weardale, teesdale and Consett of course), and the lack of influence from the sea (lower DPs) means it is sticking even in bright sunshine so from my IMBY view, we have done OK.

It being the north-east, look for the least likely set-up, then it will snow.....that aside, think Weds am, early on....

Whereabouts in Co.Durham are you mate?

Indeed the north pennine area, and the wear valley have done rather well as expected. No lying snow here, which is expectable... Friday brings very cold uppers and I sense the North York Moors will do very well... Thursday's cold front looks rather potent and should deliver high ground snow as Alza points out.

Posted

Bus / train?

Nah lol

Must admit Im gutted snow regards this week so what's this about Tuesday Afternoon - ain't heard this mentioned?

and Thursday Evening back edge snow event possible?

Edited by Snowstorm1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Does anyone else get that 'stack overflow at line:1' when going on the bbc weather site?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe gales, heavy rain and alpine climates

Whereabouts in Co.Durham are you mate?

Indeed the north pennine area, and the wear valley have done rather well as expected. No lying snow here, which is expectable... Friday brings very cold uppers and I sense the North York Moors will do very well... Thursday's cold front looks rather potent and should deliver high ground snow as Alza points out.

Edge of Consett, and I get the bonus of a clear view up to Waskerley pretty much which means I can see lots of snow without having to get my car stuck....

About 800' has been the snow line, about that depths increase quite quickly. I haven't been on the moor today but the browns are nearly all white, which given that the heather is about 6-12" deep is a good indicator!

Cant help feeling Friday will be downgraded, but if not the cold front could give some fun and games to the higher areas again. Sorry if it sounds negative, but I don't hold great expectations for the lower altitude locations, largely because I think the cold front will deliver most of it's ppn before the cold air really digs in, white hills and green valleys.

Posted

Backtrack, we're having another really heavy hail shower again here at the moment. The sky is really black but we can see the edge of it with the sun behind. It's heading your way I reckon.

Yes it's a large shower, I caught the really heavy side of it.

Temperature down to 2.8C, everywhere white again :D

Max today was 5.2C :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Heavy hail shower passing over, just got caught out with the dogs in it.

temp 2.3c