Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Scotland - Cold & Windy Spell Discussion 3

Posted

I wouldn't think twice about it if my kids were school age SL2! I believe the Government are meeting tonight to decide if they should close schools and bridges tomorrow afternoon anyway so the decision will probably made for you. If not, could you forgive yourself if anything happened? Keep watching and you will be able to make an informed decision when the time comes.

After speaking with my husband we have both decided that their life's are more important than being at school tomorrow so we are keeping them off. Much to their delight.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Just watched the BBC warning forecast and couldn't actually help but laugh out loud at this little gem that he says at the end:

"Needless to say this is incredibly serious weather, stay up to date with the weather forecasts!!....and if you have any weather pics of this extreme weather, please upload them to our website!"

What now?

Edited by NorthernRab

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold

Just watched the BBC warning forecast and couldn't actually help but laugh out loud at this little gem that he says at the end:

"Needless to say this is incredibly serious weather, stay up to date with the weather forecasts!!....and if you have any weather pics of this extreme weather, please upload them to our website!"

What now?

Made me giggle a bit too - sorely tempted to take photograph of random bit of sky and send it in saying "here is a picture what I took of The Strong Wind near where I live..." :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Stay safe people, tomorrow looks like a really really horrid day with severe strong winds as people have been saying. I just hope it goes through fast with as less damage as possible. Keep Warm and Stay Safe.

Regards Mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Glasgow City Council has suspended festive celebrations in the City Centre tomorrow.

http://glasgowloveschristmas.com/Pages/default.aspx?page=glasgow-on-ice

Edited by Glaswegianblizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Blizzards, snow and wild wind:-) x

Friends I was wondering if any of you know if schools will kept open tomorrow. I am debating whether to send my children to school tomorrow but my instincts are telling me it's not going to be safe enough. Am I just being a stress Bess, lol?

Posted

Friends I was wondering if any of you know if schools will kept open tomorrow. I am debating whether to send my children to school tomorrow but my instincts are telling me it's not going to be safe enough. Am I just being a stress Bess, lol?

No youre not being a stress bess, think all us parents are having the same thoughts. I'm keeping mine off. Always follow your instinct ;)

Didn't mean that face hehe

Edited by Snowlover2

Posted

Started to sleet at lunchtime and the farm became a slushfest especially as team from the Hydro Board were laying an underground cable from the transformer pole to the gable end of the steading so doing away with two overhead cables above a field gate - much safer. Temperature rose to 1c but now 0c and remaining wet snow skining up.

The Hydro guys were also telling me that they have to report with enough gear tomorrow for a 24 hour shift and all routine work suspended. Another neighbour was speaking to a friend on a rig in the North Sea and they are not looking forward to tomorrow. Some storm coming

Posted

No youre not being a stress bess, think all us parents are having the same thoughts. I'm keeping mine off. Always follow your instinct ;)

Didn't mean that face hehe

:-) Thanks Snowlover - it's nice to know I'm not alone in my concern. x love the face btw:-) made me smile. Stay safe and warm. Wishing you a wonderful evening. x

Posted

Renfrewshire Schools will close at 1pm. What's the point of that?

It does seem a bit daft. I can't really see how they are minimising the risk by closing early. It would make more sense to make a definite decision and close the school until the storm has passed. x Stay safe and warm. Wishing you a wonderful evening. x

Posted

My reading of the forecasts is that up til around mid-afternoon, it will only be very very windy - the dangerous stuff seems to be hitting between estimated 3pm and 6pm Thursday - so I suppose closing the schools for an entire morning of perfectly okay weather would be a bit of a skive. Plus it means those parents who'll have to take time off work or pay for childcare will only have to take/ pay for a half-day. And if there's no reason to shut the schools in the morning...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

Huge storm - heavy rain, severe gales and a storm surge followed by a blizzard with intense winds and heavy snow....The Day After Tomorrow Anyone? :p

Posted

Huge storm - heavy rain, severe gales and a storm surge followed by a blizzard with intense winds and heavy snow....The Day After Tomorrow Anyone? :p

lol, if you want to scare yourself sit up late tonight and watch it:-) x Tomorrow won't feel half as bad:-) xx Wishing you a safe and warm evening. x

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Radio Scotland giving this a bit of coverage. Apparently Scottish Cabinet Ministers now meeting to discuss contingency plans. Already advising people to leave work early.

Don't think I've ever known this here. Either this storm is the worst we've known, or they are just being exceptionally prepared after they were caught out by the snow last winter,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold

Radio Scotland giving this a bit of coverage. Apparently Scottish Cabinet Ministers now meeting to discuss contingency plans. Already advising people to leave work early.

Don't think I've ever known this here. Either this storm is the worst we've known, or they are just being exceptionally prepared after they were caught out by the snow last winter,

A bit of both i'd say... it's a very strong storm in terms of deepness and wind strength, and the current scottish cabinet cannot make a blunder as bad as last years!

Posted

Yeah, I'm unable to recall anything being warned as quite so... well, scary. I'm not quite sure what to expect except it's going to be bad. But it's just so unusual, both the intensity of the warnings and also the actual forecast - i mean, like someone said upthread you just don't get 80-90mph gusts that have travelled over miles and miles of inlandiness!

It's kinda weird that there isn't a breath of wind out there just now - looking out the window, the leaves left on shrubs aren't moving at all, totally still and silent.... oo-er, maybe I will lock myself in the coal-cellar after all! It's Out There.... [big-scared-eyed emoticon!]

Posted

Snow cover for me is now a bit patchy after 3 days of full cover. Thoughts now turn to tomorrows storm. Just hope everyone stays safe as it does look as though there could be a bit of damage.

Posted

What wind/gust speed are we looking at in the NE and will we get the stronger winds on Friday am?

Posted

What wind/gust speed are we looking at in the NE and will we get the stronger winds on Friday am?

Thursday evening and night as much as Friday morning and pretty strong. I would guess over 70mph (or maybe more) in the most exposed parts. Then maybe the risk of blizzard conditions for a while on Friday.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

I have just noticed that TrafficScotland now shows weather station data from their roadside sites. Nice!

http://trafficscotla...eatherstations/

I have just noticed that TrafficScotland now shows weather station data from their roadside sites. Nice!

http://trafficscotla...eatherstations/

This is pretty good for checking conditions throughout the country along with the cameras [some new] where available.

One question though is when did Calvine move to Grampian?