Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Atlantic Storms - 7th December 2011 Onwards

Coast

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Latest from the BBC and some other news coming from the weatherevents realting to a school roof being blown off, however no confirmation yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16083530

Scary stuff.

gottolovethisweather

• Replies 492
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Columus Bigus Convectivus

Very messy wind streams across Birmingham today. Hoping to catch some approaching squall lines on time lapse but keeping an eye on Scotland though.

Keep safe all

Edited by Arnie Pie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

And also this from the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-16082303

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snowy in winter. Hot and stormy in summer.

Absolutely torrential horizontal rain. Just recorded a gust of 70mph and that's in a sheltered back garden surrounded by houses.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Non Destructive Near My House

Graham from weather events is on his way to the Ayrshire coast to stream live - follow him here:

http://www.netweathe...herevents;sess=

I think hes in Fife and not in Ayrshire. Anstruther is in Fife.

Posted

The latest Met Office Shipping Forecast is warning of a Force 12 Hurricane of the coast of Scotland as 130mph winds were reported at a weather observation station in the Highlands. The record winds were recorded this morning at Aonach Mor, near Fort William.

This is how the storm has developed so far this morning and Police fear the worst is yet to come:

12pm: The latest Met Office Shipping Forecast warns of Force 12 hurricane winds – it doesn't get stronger than that. Weather station at Aonach Mor records wind speeds of up to 130mph.

11.50am: 11.50am: Assistant Chief Constable Allan Moffat (Central Scotland Police) on behalf of the Association of Chief Police Officers in Scotland, issues strong warning: “The advice for motorists across the Central belt of Scotland is to avoid travel as the severe weather moves across the country from West to East, starting around noon on the west side of the country. “It is expected that the impact of the weather will affect the east side of the country from 2pm onwards. “This advice to avoid travel is not given lightly but is based on the clearest information yet from weather forecasters that there will be high winds with gusts of up to 90 miles per hour.â€

11.35am: Strathclyde Police urge the public to stay off the streets and motorists are warned to expect delays of “several hoursâ€. A spokeswoman said: "We are advising against all travel at the moment. Stay safe."

11.20am: Tweet of the day so far: "Hibs abandoned training due to 'unbelievable wind and rain'. Hibs cannot afford to miss ANY training!"

11.10am: Forth Road Bridge now closed to ALL vehicles after wind gusts of 84mph were reported. According to Lothian & Borders Police, the bridge will likely remain shut until 6pm at the earliest.

11.05am: Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon to update MSPs on the developing storm with a statement to the Scottish Parliament at 12pm.

11am: According to the Met Office, winds of over 100mph reported at the Highland reporting station at Glen Ogle

10.50am: First Minister Alex Salmond is being fully updated on the developing situation during his official trip to China. Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon is leading the response operation until Mr Salmond's return on Saturday night.

10.35am: It's officially hurricane strength – gusts over 74mph are classified as hurricane winds and 76mph winds were recorded in Tiree at 9.50am.

http://www.clickgree...s-reported.html

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Here in Leeds it's turned somewhat calm after the blustery morning. The rain seems to have slowed down too. I'm about to start work at 13.30 - 21.30 so i'll post about conditions around Yorkshire if there's anything severe (subject to 3G signal).

Stay safe all those in the affected areas.

Posted

No idea on windspeeds here in Darlington but it's howling around a fair bit out there now with some heavy blustery showers piling in too.

Posted

Not sure of the accuracy on the NW radar, but it is suggesting that the rain is turning to snow quite rapidly.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Just spotted a plane banking round from after taking off from Prestwick. I would NOT want to be on that. They must be mad!

Posted

No idea on windspeeds here in Darlington but it's howling around a fair bit out there now with some heavy blustery showers piling in too.

http://www.metoffice...k/observations/

Aberdaron:

post-6667-0-49215900-1323348026.jpg

post-6667-0-49215900-1323348026_thumb.jp

Posted

Latest from the BBC and some other news coming from the weatherevents realting to a school roof being blown off, however no confirmation yet.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16083530

Scary stuff.

gottolovethisweather

Primary school just down the road in Clacks. My understanding is that all the kids are okay. Very very wild here and getting worse !!

M...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Cold Winters & Warm Dry Summers

130 Mph! :help:

Edited by Jayces

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

I think hes in Fife and not in Ayrshire. Anstruther is in Fife.

Yes, the route to the South West stopped due to the Forth Bridge closing so a Plan B in operation and off into the East Neuk of Fife. Will be some superb seas on the Ainster coast.

Vicious looking storm this on close up inspection.

post-7292-0-07310800-1323348140_thumb.jp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

74mph gust on the Cumbrian coast in the last hour.

It's getting rather wild!

Posted

I have lost the link but I think that might be because Graham ( think thats his name ) is setting up equipment having now arrived at Anstruther ?

Posted

I would say this is one storm where people will definitely need to look out for their elderly neighbours in some locations. Today very strong winds and rain/snow, potentially bringing down power lines, but then tomorrow much colder, still with strong winds and snow. For houses losing windows, roof tiles etc and then left without heating as a consequence of any power cuts, it could become a bit overwhelming for some in blizzard conditions...

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Cold.

Some very strong winds today. I stay in Ayrshire. Had several gusts well over 100 I would imagine. consistent 70mph+

Just saw Helensburgh on the news. Coastal car park flooded with the seas incredibly rough!

Edited by MadSnowboarder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's picking up here now. I must be reasonably sheltered which is making the winds appear either calm or squally. I'm expecting the bike to blow over if the cover keeps inflating like it does...

No electrical issues at all so far.