Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Northern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Haven't quite broke into double figures here, max 9.8c, certainly feels much milder than of late.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well the way the stratosphere is behaving, we could be seeing some real cold mid to late January.

If the PV can shift Eastwards, we will see northern blocking.

If it decides to stay where it is, or shift west, then it's likely the rest of the Winter will be mild.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Oh Hedgehog, you said RAIN! Naughty list for you then! ;)

Yet another horrible day again! I'm fed up of taking the dog out and sliding in the mud. YUK!

Least it has been remarkably dry in our town all in all over the year compaired to the last few years. Torrential rain was never ending and this year we've still only had a handfull of really wet days, mainly just damp squibbyness :D

Well the way the stratosphere is behaving, we could be seeing some real cold mid to late January.

If it decides to stay where it is, or shift west, then it's likely the rest of the Winter will be mild.

Nobody not even Mr even larger teapot can say for sure what would happen after SSW and PV disruption. Personally, I'm more optimistic of having classic Jan/Feb snowfests, rather than damp warm weather that I thought would be the case in my pre-winter blog. Time will tell.

Posted

Nobody not even Mr even larger teapot can say for sure what would happen after SSW and PV disruption. Personally, I'm more optimistic of having classic Jan/Feb snowfests, rather than damp warm weather that I thought would be the case in my pre-winter blog. Time will tell.

Well on the face of it at least he seems to be remaining rather bullish that the Polar vortex won't be shifted much from it's current position.

But as you say, only time will tell, hopefully it all ends up blowing up right in his face. :D

Edited by Anonymous21

Posted
  • Location: Saddleworth, in the Historic West Riding of Yorkshire, 205m a.s.l
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Least it has been remarkably dry in our town all in all over the year compaired to the last few years. Torrential rain was never ending and this year we've still only had a handfull of really wet days, mainly just damp squibbyness :D

At least the rain at the moment means Oldham Council don't have to grit the roads on top of their already busy work schedule. (Sarcasm) :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

It looks like from what i read of your lrf that it might come off then. Cant remember exactly but you said jan will be the month to watch. And so did the other lrf's.

Posted

lol it's up to/almost up to 13C here now. Just shows goes to show you how ridiculous this current pattern we've just entered actually is especially since it happens to be occurring during the Christmas period .

It just somehow doesn't feel right to me but ah well, bring on the new year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

22.30hrs Mid December and current temp of 10c YUK,YUK

5 days ago 4cm of snow and a day time high of 1c

C.S

Posted

Its quite funny actually i said in the regionals last xmas that i thought we might get a record broken for the warmest xmas on record and hey presto, looks like it might happen. Me and my big gob. LOl

Posted

Was up to 12.4C earlier, it's now 12.2C, and feels very pleasant out in the wind. :)

Posted

Certainly not feeling very festive, 11.2c! Grrr....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Mists, Hot, Rain, Bit of snow. Thick frosts are awesome

Oh Hedgehog, you said RAIN! Naughty list for you then! ;)

Yet another horrible day again! I'm fed up of taking the dog out and sliding in the mud. YUK!

Still very mild!

Very pleasant, but also very 'un'festive :(

Anyway, I'm not going to be naughty this time, lets hope for some sun :)

Overcast forecast for tomorrow, not rain, a good sign.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Sometimes I really don;t get the whole yuck mild thing, it doesn't make sense to me - mild is comfortable, if it's not raining - mild and dry is pleasant, so what's the deal?? Cold is not pleasant.. I'm at a loss to why people favour this in this way.

Posted

I think the whole traditional seasonal feel has a lot to do with it, with each individual having personal preferences as to what they would like to see as a weather type for each season of the year. Many people would like to have cold, frosty and snowy weather around now regardless of how it actually felt or affected them or anyone else, again personal preference and some of us would like it to stay mild.

Many feel the weather should reflect the season, we complain if it's too cold or wet in the Summer as it should be hot, dry and sunny, then we complain in the Winter when it's mild, wet and grey as it should be cold, frosty and snowy! But we all know the weather here in the UK does NOT follow the seasons very well most of the time . :)

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Many feel the weather should reflect the season, we complain if it's too cold or wet in the Summer as it should be hot, dry and sunny, then we complain in the Winter when it's mild, wet and grey as it should be cold, frosty and snowy! But we all know the weather here in the UK does NOT follow the seasons very well. :)

I hope something freakish happens to our weather systems one day to put a stop to all that and makes the seasons flow as i beleive they should do in this part of the world.

Unfortunately the chances of that happening are just much as winning the lottery, maybe even less.

Posted

Buy that lottery ticket :rofl:

My grandparents tell me that things were very different many years ago, it was hot in the Summer and cold and snowy during Winter.

Last years cold spell they said it was like a Winter of the good old days!

Edited by Liam J

Posted

Good to see I'm not the only one feeling this way, BT seems to have caught Gavin Ditish lol.

A bit of mild in winter doesn't hurt anyone.

Besides, make the most of it.

Mid January onwards is going to be like sitting in a freezer. :winky:

Posted

Sometimes I really don;t get the whole yuck mild thing, it doesn't make sense to me - mild is comfortable, if it's not raining - mild and dry is pleasant, so what's the deal?? Cold is not pleasant.. I'm at a loss to why people favour this in this way.

Yuk to me is rain. I just hate it. And if we aren't going to get snow/frost, I want dry days, not rain! I'm happy with mild, but at Christmas, to me it's just not right. Liam's got it right (IMO) Merry Christmas :w00t:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

There are alot of people that like the atmosphere of snow and cold, which I can greatly understand, I mean it's seasonal and snow is wonderful because it's so beautiful. Cold on the other is quite raw and it's not comfortable - that said I'm sure there are some people that genuinely like cold, but I don't buy it when someone says "I don't like mild", because chances are they don't mind it - what they don't like is how it uses up potential time for snowfall to occur. (In my opinion anyway).. I agree about rain in winter though, it's not nice, unless it's bordering on very warm for the time of year (eg, above 15C)

Posted

I dont mind mild weather, today is lovely. But when there is still leaves on the trees and nats and flies still about it goes to show just how mild things really are. Its not how things are supposed to be. On the other hand this is how it was the other year, and we had the coldest jan- feb on record.

Edited by saintpeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but mild south-westeries in winter

12.2c here and sunny..

Must be in a minority but I absolutely detest this weather