Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London And The South East Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

Shall keep an eye on its development and track over the next few hours. Fingers crossed.

You never know, stranger things have happened.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Cold and Hot inc Stormy Weather

You never know, stranger things have happened.

Indeed.

However I have been following it and since 9:30 and its northern edge has gained strength.

Edited by final dest

Posted

The precipitation radar is showing an organised band of showers from the Cheshire Gap heading in our direction. If this precipitation carries on it's current course, the ETA is 2-3 hours time. Not only would there be snow, the temps will start to drop by 3pm, so it will be very icy out there.

Edited by yamkin

Posted

Lovely day out there now, a little cold but plenty of sunshine.

Posted

The precipitation radar is showing an organised band of showers from the Cheshire Gap heading in our direction. If this precipitation carries on it's current course, the ETA is 2-3 hours time. Not only would there be snow, the temps will start to drop by 3pm, so it will be very icy out there.

No chance, best hope now is that the precip band hugging NE/E coastal areas swings back down and swipes us with a finger of something Wintry, probably not til after dark though, upper temps I would of thought should be ok but most models are showing this as a decaying 'finger' of drizzle - we can hope!

Edited by Discombobulation Man

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mild and cloudy

suns out in surbiton...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Yep, this turned out just as forecast for the south east. Rain overnight, with a wintry mix in the morning.

That band of showers over NW England & N Wales seems to be decaying somewhat as it moves towards the Midlands. Looks very unlikely we'll get anything from that.

Posted

It was never supposed to be a big event.

I over ramped :diablo: Back to reality. Got a few hours wet snow in the Croydon area. The Cheshire Gap ppn is something to watch.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Really heavy here now and stuck well over the last hour.

post-4523-0-40098000-1324030585_thumb.jp

I forgot to say - this photo was from Yamkins house!!!!

Posted

I over ramped

:o Nooooo, not you!

Posted

Yep, this turned out just as forecast for the south east. Rain overnight, with a wintry mix in the morning.

That band of showers over NW England & N Wales seems to be decaying somewhat as it moves towards the Midlands. Looks very unlikely we'll get anything from that.

Yes. It's an Irish Sea streamer, or maybe even a trough. However, these features usually don't get much further south than Birmingham, dying out quite quickly as they head inland.

Pretty classic NW airflow shower pattern setting in behind the departing system. Showers on West facing coasts and through the Cheshire gap. Doesn't usually bring anything in the way of showers to the South East unless the low pressure stalls over the near continent long enough for instability to feed further troughs; unlikely I'm afraid!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I over ramped :diablo: Back to reality. Got a few hours wet snow in the Croydon area. The Cheshire Gap ppn is something to watch.

Well admitted, mate! Pretty much the same here.

Posted

What are the chances of getting any showers this evening are they pretty slim?

In a North West airflow, the further South and East you are, the less likely. So, pretty slim!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Oh the joys of living in the south east. How long must we wait for some decent snow????

We did pretty well last December.

The problem with channel lows that approach from the south west and collide with cold air over the UK, is that we are usually on the wrong side of the low pressure, the eastern side, and the warm sector usually gives us rain whilst giving snow to those in the Midlands, Wales and sometimes the South West. It's always best to be on the north western edge of the low pressure system in these situations.

Posted

Was sleeting when I left home for work at 7.45, then rain on the way, then back to sleet and snow again but nothing settled and it was all over by 10. So all in all pretty unexciting. Here's to something better later in the Winter! :drinks:

Edited by Don

Posted

The Cheshire Gap ppn seems to be getting more organised and strengthening. I've seen this type of scenario before where the ppn looked like petering out only to gain momentum and produce several cm's of snow in the SE. Let's see how this one develops.

Posted

Now that the excitement of this morning has quietend down, I'll be locking this thread shortly, and starting part 2...

Although judging by the posts from the clever people who can read the colourful charts in the Model discussion area, it looks like for us in the South East at least, no more snow is forecast between now and New Year :cray:

Part 2 can be found here: http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71955-london-and-the-south-east-regional-discussion-thread-part-2/