Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

50:50 for wet snow around rush hour, i would say: http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=snow;sess=

But I aint giving up on hopes of a blizzard until after the 12z :acute:

PS - what about that gust??? http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

Strongly suspect a rogue reading from that observation! Happens occasionally...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

50:50 for wet snow around rush hour, i would say: http://www.netweathe...tion=snow;sess=

But I aint giving up on hopes of a blizzard until after the 12z :acute:

PS - what about that gust??? http://www.xcweather.co.uk/

OK, it's a buoy, Guess it must have fallen over or summat :nea:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Strongly suspect a rogue reading from that observation! Happens occasionally...

I would be quite certain that reading is incorrect!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Temperature and dewpoint haven't really dropped much since I last posted.

Posted

Temperature and dewpoint haven't really dropped much since I last posted.

Dropped slightly here mate, just a tad higher up than you though, Headington is up on the hill, i swear i see the rain has turned sleety in nature in last few mins..

Posted

A relative who lives in the cotswolds this side(oxon) says it is snowing in Charlbury.

Not sure about that (I'm not calling him a liar!). Brize Norton is reporting temp of 3 and dp of 2. Possible chance of seeing a few wet flakes mixed with rain, but I can't see there being snow. Could be wrong of course!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just very cold rain here! 3.6c. Snow reported in Hereford.

Posted

Pretty clear gap now between the 'rain' frontal system that is being rapidly shunted to the east as the LP comes, and the tail part of the front which is still over Wales/SW Midlands and also stretching into the Irish Sea. This is the area to watch and should pivot a touch, though neer totally as the LP remains elongated probably by the shearing effect of a very powerful jet.

Posted

Not sure about that (I'm not calling him a liar!). Brize Norton is reporting temp of 3 and dp of 2. Possible chance of seeing a few wet flakes mixed with rain, but I can't see there being snow. Could be wrong of course!

Was a few flakes mixed with rain i was told when i questioned it, it has turned back to sleet/rain now she said.

Posted

12z 18z? :help:

I told you I was just learning!!! :)

When the model runs are initiated. 12 noon and 6pm in this case.

Was a few flakes mixed with rain i was told when i questioned it, it has turned back to sleet/rain now she said.

Sounds about right. Some of the heavier bursts may see a few flakes make it down.

Posted

12z 18z? :help:

I told you I was just learning!!! :)

Im Back, not that I post much,

Sungurl, 12z 18z are times models get released z stands for zulu which is GMT time. i.e. 12z means the outputs from the models which are run at 12:00 mid day each day...they appear (once to computers have done their work) from 16:00 to 18:00....at 18:00 they run the model again which begins to appear at between 21:00-22:00.

so 12z, 18z, 00z and 06z are the model run times. Some models are done twice a day, such as the UK Met Office, some are done 4 times, such as the GFS.

Such to be in the central south, what do I expect in limboland of the M3/M4 corridor, some wet snow perhaps but IF the low pushes through quicker...may get a slight dusting, Bracknell has its high points.

Behind on prospects this winter, way behind, though note some of the usual cold enthusiasts are not as up-beat as last year...though to be fair, last year is hard to beat!

Posted

Sounds about right. Some of the heavier bursts may see a few flakes make it down.

Yeah, what will happen is slowly but surely in the heavier bursts it becoming increasingly snowy, until it stays as snow in the heavier stuff and only becomes sleety in the lighter stuff.

Posted

When the model runs are initiated. 12 noon and 6pm in this case.

Thank you :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Right, I'm off on one last night in Reading, I hope it's a whiteout when I come out of Q Bar :D

Good luck everyone! And goodnight! :)

Posted

Im Back, not that I post much,

Sungurl, 12z 18z are times models get released z stands for zulu which is GMT time. i.e. 12z means the outputs from the models which are run at 12:00 mid day each day...they appear (once to computers have done their work) from 16:00 to 18:00....at 18:00 they run the model again which begins to appear at between 21:00-22:00.

so 12z, 18z, 00z and 06z are the model run times. Some models are done twice a day, such as the UK Met Office, some are done 4 times, such as the GFS.

Such to be in the central south, what do I expect in limboland of the M3/M4 corridor, some wet snow perhaps but IF the low pushes through quicker...may get a slight dusting, Bracknell has its high points.

Behind on prospects this winter, way behind, though note some of the usual cold enthusiasts are not as up-beat as last year...though to be fair, last year is hard to beat!

ahhhh so simple and yet most would have no idea! Thank you :)

Posted

You'll be a model junky in no time!

I'm already addicted to the forums :D Work has been v quiet this week so have had 5 hours a day to browse the forums and learn... I had no idea it was as interesting as it is.... Very addicted now!!!

Thanks for the help with everything - any beginners websites that you know of, please let me know! Thanks :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Aha! Finally we're going in the right direction!!! 5.9C and DP 5.2 C, both falling. Wind now NEly. :clapping:

And chucking it down.

Edited by katemart

Posted

Right, I'm off on one last night in Reading, I hope it's a whiteout when I come out of Q Bar :D

Good luck everyone! And goodnight! :)

Q bar...surely revs trumps that

Posted

I'm already addicted to the forums :D Work has been v quiet this week so have had 5 hours a day to browse the forums and learn... I had no idea it was as interesting as it is.... Very addicted now!!!

Thanks for the help with everything - any beginners websites that you know of, please let me know! Thanks :)

As john Holmes always points out, the netweather learners area on these very forums has a lot of excellent material, from basic to advanced. Take a read through it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Wind direction changed from ESE to E and increased a knotch.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Dropped slightly here mate, just a tad higher up than you though, Headington is up on the hill, i swear i see the rain has turned sleety in nature in last few mins..

Strong lamp post watching here im sure there is some sleet but .....

Edited by stewfox