Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Don't worry if the temperature shoots up, this is going to happen as the precip moves in, its the colder undercut from the north as the low heads into the continent that will give a chance of some snow.

Good to see you in here Mr. Sussex. I hope you don't get too much wind.

My temperature is steady as well at 4.1c so we shall see what happens, rain knocking on the door already in my part of the region. :good:

I will not give up hope just yet!

Any chance of some further professional input please?

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow. Winter. Dry cool Summers

Rain here now some heavy a few hours of this and we could have some flooding,may be some sleet on back ege for morning rush hour but not lasting to long.a few miles inland could get some snow in morning for a hour or two.

Parents live in the North Cotswolds. Kids are quite keen to visit their grandparents!!!! If there is anything wintry, they will get it. I think this area is best placed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Temps should stay around 4-5c all night until around 4-5am when it falls, perhaps 1-2c in southampton at 8am.

Indeed- for the midlands it's a case of 'it's cold enough but is anything gonna fall?' and in southern england it is more 'it's gonna fall but is it cold enough'... you cannot really strike a medium!

Would North oxfordshire be well placed ?

Posted

My temperature is steady as well at 4.1c so we shall see what happens, rain knocking on the door already in my part of the region. :good:

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Of course he is in here. Its the thread that mostly relates to his home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

Regards

gottolovethisweather

Thanks, well I've got my fingers crossed that I'll still have power tomorrow! the strongest winds at the moment look to be further north.

I wish I could say yes or no to snow but its marginal, I think the intensity of the precip could well be the determining factor to help drag the freezing level down and of course some elevation will be a big help.

We'll know a bit more after the NAE and GFS 18hrs run, will be back after the masterchef final! sad as it may seem, theres no way I'd have moved down here if I couldn't get satellite tv and the bbc!

Posted

First strong gust of wind. Direct from the South. I bet the Mrs is loving her late night xmas shoping in town!!!!!!! I told her to do what I do and go xmas eve. Will be warm and sunny by then!!

Posted

Don't worry if the temperature shoots up, this is going to happen as the precip moves in, its the colder undercut from the north as the low heads into the continent that will give a chance of some snow.

OK thats good... Gone up .1 to 5.7c now but won't give up hope!

Do you folk have weather stations at home? Seen a few on Amazon but not sure whether or not to put one on my Xmas list...

Any recommendations/ideas/worth it or not answers from you knowledgeable people please?

(wind 0, gust 0 atm... calm before storm maybe? it does usually go unusually quiet before snow...) *sungirl remains ever optimistic of a dusting tomorrow*

Edited by Sungirl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Of course he is in here. Its the thread that mostly relates to his home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you want to check his address. :sorry:

Still 4.1c AT, 2.9c DP, 995.4hpa and FALLING RAPIDLY. Interesting to say the least and so is the Darts on Sky. :rolleyes:

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Hello CSE friends

As is past tradition I am in Brighton when there is mention of a snow event and therefore far away from Newbury. But GTLTW will have it covered. It felt extremely mild out there tonight. I can report though rain is falling and the surf is up as I can here it so there has to be some wind blowing, but all in all it may just be a southerly. I will investigate for some nearby station data....

oh here we go here is one but I dont think it is right..-7.8 dewpoint? Na..

http://www.hangletonweather.co.uk/

Ah ha more like it. raining more heavily now and the wind is picking up ..although not according to the website!

http://weather.brightonmarina.com/w

woo hoo yes wind is definately now picking up and it is kicking in.. literally last two mins ago. wish i could find a decent site to show this....

got it was 3.5 now is 20.9 windspeed..i assume knots and raining heavy.

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted

OK Don't hold your breath people but its raining here and temp has dropped nearly 1c in 30 mins... Not perfect I know but a step in the right direction.... Question is, do I go to bed now and get up early to watch, or stay up and watch then wake up late? ;)

Wind changed to SSE too...

pressure droppiong, currently at 993

Edited by Sungirl

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Picked up in Brighton

Winds more SE and ESE

gusts upto 27.8 knots (31mph)

temps 6.3 dropping....now rising in ten mins to 6.4

pressure 994.3 dropping rapidly ...in ten mins now 993.5

rain i think.

Edited by Polar Bear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well im ready for what tonight's going to bring. Rain then snow? or rain then sleet?. Hmmm...

Anyone think i've got a good chance of seeing something snow?

Mark.

Edited by Mark Neal Ballooning

Posted

1hr 30 mins and dropped 1c... seems to be falling faster now... wind speed changed to E, SE

I'm new to this but from what I have seen so far, this looks reasonably promising... Won't eat my hat if wrong tho!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storm, anything loud and dramatic.

Hi folks. It is toward the heaver end of moderate rain here now, wind gusting 30mph-ish, looking at the rain its a full Southerly wind direction, temperature 6C for a Southerly, that is a cold one...

Posted

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Temps still rising here = 6.1C :cray: DP = 5.1C BP has fallen away nicely though, 14 pts in 5 hours = 987 and wind has picked up and swung round from due South to due East. 5.2mm of rain. "If only..."

Posted

I'm "working from home" tomorrow. Going to get up around 5 and head towards Christmas common (highest point in chilterns) and see what It's like. No joy there, then up the m40 and.over to swindon. Winter tires at the ready...

Posted

5.7c at 8.00pm

4.3c at 9.50pm

Wind changed from SSE to East!!!

Pressure down to 992

Anybody with knowledge care to translate please?! Looking promising?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

Light rain. Temp. is 3.4C and dewpoint is 2.1C

It was increasing until now but started dropping again :)

tempdaycomp.png

Edited by BreezeInTheEast

Posted

5.7c at 8.00pm

4.3c at 9.50pm

Wind changed from SSE to East!!!

Pressure down to 992

Anybody with knowledge care to translate please?! Looking promising?

Of course a pressure drop represents to centre of the system moving closer. As for temps, It's too early. Forecasts don't predict any changeover until the early hours as the system starts moving out and the colder air digs down. I don't suppose you have the dewpoint and wetbulb temps? Just as important as air temperature.

Edited by WhiteFox