Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: anything extreme or intense !

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England

Yellow Alert of Wind for London & South East England :

Buckinghamshire, East Sussex, Greater London, Kent, Medway, Milton Keynes, Bracknell Forest, Brighton and Hove, Hampshire, Isle of Wight, Oxfordshire, Portsmouth, Reading, Slough, Southampton, Surrey, West Berkshire, West Sussex, Windsor and Maidenhead & Wokingham

valid from 0300 Tue 03 Jan to 2100 Tue 03 Jan

Posted

Yes another storm to follow, keeps things interesting whilst keeping an eye out for the colder stuff

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Chance of some snow tonight and into monday maybe :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

You were drunk?

Nope definitely a mixture of clouds in the sky. I wanted to take a picture but didn't have my phone with me.

Posted

Hope everyone had a good Xmas. Happy New Year to all.

Heavy rain upon us now!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Wow, what a miserable start to 2012. It's been raining for hours now, latest gauge reading is 4.3mm and increasing coz it's tipping it down!

Edited by Purplepixii

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Had a heavy shower just pass through which turned from sleet to snow and back to sleet.

temperature 2.0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms followed by snow (preferably on the same day!)

Well our weather warning for strong wind has been removed so just moderately windy and wet I expect tomorrow....yawn!

Posted

Plenty of hail showers today, supprising how long it stayed on the ground. Could be the only 'white stuff' for these parts this winter.

If it was now the end of June and I said summer is over due to the charts what would you all say.....?

Dont be an idiot.........that would be close.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow cold,storms and heat

Been a chilly but bright calm day,see what tonight/tomorrow brings,weather station at the ready lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well nothing too exciting but I did experience a sleety shower whilst out walking the dog up May Hill earlier this afternoon, and given how mild its been over the winter so far, I'm grateful for that!

Posted

Peak gust overnight was 57.1 mph in Eastbourne with worse to come yet I fear.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Been very wet and wild overnight in Oxford, only 3mm of rain but strongest gust so far has been 55mph.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Severe Weather events

Have woken to another water leak in the conservatory and a big, heavy (I thought) bag of bottles has been blown over so had to brush up loads of smashed glass from the path grrrr! Biggest gust so far is 29mph and it's mad out there!

Posted

Very very blowy this morning. Kids had great fun trying to fly outside their school on the first day back with the wind howling off the fields.

Wife not impressed ...with all trains through Bramley cancelled due to a fallen tree on the line at Mortimer.

The squall line looks to be building as it moves southeast ....and promises to be interesting when it hits.

Posted

Very windy in the early hours through until now. Highest gust was 58mph.

How come they close the dartford bridge in weather like this, but not the M2 bridge? is it a matter of height?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Slightly old by now, but here's a radar grab for folks who are unable to acccess the free radar for some reason. :good:

post-7183-0-70384900-1325586006_thumb.pn

The squall is moving quite quickly and I expect it be clearing the southeast by about 12:30. By 11:00 it should clearing though my area, although it looks as though I'm in the area where the split section is likely. Approx. 11:30 for the London area I would think. Those timings are assuming the squall keeps intact and refer to the northern section. As for the southern section, approx. 11:00 for IOW area, 11:30 for Brighton region and thereafter clearing through as per above. The southern section of the squall IMHO doesn't look to be as potent.

It will be interesting what comes of this squall as the one that occurred on 23rd December was a very active one. Will be keeping an eye out on other reports as it progresses across the country.

Cheers all.

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

has been very nasty outside this morn.... 38knot gust quite high considering i am sheltered from the westerlys.... that squall line looks to be intensifiying....as it heads for London :eek:

Posted

has been very nasty outside this morn.... 38knot gust quite high considering i am sheltered from the westerlys.... that squall line looks to be intensifiying....as it heads for London :eek:

net weather put out a tornado alert

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: early spring, warm summers and cold winters

The squall line has just passed through here and the wind has dropped like a stone, quite amazing, just like being in the eye of the storm.

Posted

Just as i think it's dying down it picks up again even worse.

The house over the road has lost its porch roof and several fences are down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well, that was interesting if not rather scary. As others have quite rightly said, the Squall line is reinvigorating and is sadly crossing the southeast whilst people are out and about on their lunch hours. Let's hope people stay safe as this is one hell of an active event as shown below.

post-7183-0-80752900-1325591055_thumb.pn

Add to this, a couple of 54mph gusts in a sheltered locality then you can see why I would exercise caution.

Take Care all.

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

wow squall is mad.....38 knot gust horiziontal rain.... wheelie bins crashing.... proper scarey stuff!

Edited by Mike Storm

Posted

Not that I want to drive everyone away from this extremely busy thread :aggressive: but there's plenty of reports of the action over here too.

http://forum.netweather.tv/topic/71957-atlantic-storms-january-2012/page__pid__2202475__st__600#entry2202475

Some top brains in there so we may well get some interesting analysis.

Clearing to blue skies here in Newbury and the temperature is only 6.6c so I wonder if it will be freezing on this lot tonight. :oops:

gottolovethisweather

Posted

Very very blowy this morning. Kids had great fun trying to fly outside their school on the first day back with the wind howling off the fields.

Wife not impressed ...with all trains through Bramley cancelled due to a fallen tree on the line at Mortimer.

The squall line looks to be building as it moves southeast ....and promises to be interesting when it hits.

WOW. The MetO sent out a alert to Croydon Council last night for heavy rain and possible flooding, but they did not envisage the Mad Squall! They sent out another alert out just before the Mad Squall arrived.

Kiwi, Are you able to confirm this........

Parts of Woking, Surrey has power outage and the Red Cross are there helping the residents. Not sure if it's related to this storm, but it would not surprise me if it is.