Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Southern England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: None - UK weather is always exciting at some point

Yes the weather seems not real at all. Saying that last winter seemed very long indeed so just waiting until the usual time ie Jan & Feb for hopfully some snow so I'm not really bothered about the weather until after Christmas has made it alot easier to shop with no snow. Went out in the garden today glanced into the flower beds and yes my daffodils are all in bud and ready to go. I did glance at them twice and then thought OMG it is only December.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

snapback.pngAceman said:

''How have you come to that conclusion''

I have not come to any conclusion as to what the Winter weather will be like after Xmas or the new year. All i am suggesting is that perhaps it is a return to the normal mild conditions we are used to after the previous 3 Winters - which may have been one offs and will not be seen for another decade or so.

I recall a BBC weather chap stating last year that the Winters of '08,'09 and '10 (early snow and ice that lasted more than a week and beyond) were new trends that we could expect to get used to all over the UK..

Many people have been disappointed to see the mild weather that we have had so far. It was 11c outside on Tuesday night at 9pm.

There has been snowfall on and around Dartmoor this December (Princetown).

After the mild Winters that we have had over the years,it was nice to get snow and ice that lasted for days on end last year etc.

Having lived in the SW region for my entire life,i can recall one or two cold Winters that are up there. 1978 and 1985 were very bad indeed,but there have been more mild Winters than cold that i can remember,most noticably from the '90s and beyond.

Edited by WestCountry11

Posted

snapback.pngAceman said:

''How have you come to that conclusion''

I have not come to any conclusion as to what the Winter weather will be like after Xmas or the new year. All i am suggesting is that perhaps it is a return to the normal mild conditions we are used to after the previous 3 Winters - which may have been one offs and will not be seen for another decade or so.

I recall a BBC weather chap stating last year that the Winters of '08,'09 and '10 (early snow and ice that lasted more than a week and beyond) were new trends that we could expect to get used to all over the UK..

Many people have been disappointed to see the mild weather that we have had so far. It was 11c outside on Tuesday night at 9pm.

There has been snowfall on and around Dartmoor this December (Princetown).

After the mild Winters that we have had over the years,it was nice to get snow and ice that lasted for days on end last year etc.

Having lived in the SW region for my entire life,i can recall one or two cold Winters that are up there. 1978 and 1985 were very bad indeed,but there have been more mild Winters than cold that i can remember,most noticably from the '90s and beyond.

Good post.

Cold, snowy winters in these parts are quite rare. Best winters period in Bristol were 1978 to 1987. Even during that period some years were mild

If any of you watched Points West last night, Ian Fergusson said no sign of any noticeable cold or snow for 2 weeks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Good post.

Cold, snowy winters in these parts are quite rare. Best winters period in Bristol were 1978 to 1987. Even during that period some years were mild

If any of you watched Points West last night, Ian Fergusson said no sign of any noticeable cold or snow for 2 weeks.

Perhaps being a 90s kid I have a different perception of good but I do remember half decent snowfalls in 1995, 1996, a notably late one in 1999, and 2000 before a gap until the next one in 2004. Then again I live out of Bristol so you may have the city's warming effect.

Posted

What a horrid chart for Monday, get the BBQ out, trees and plants will think its spring!!

Let's look on the bright side - we will all be off work...

Plus we have 2 more months of winter to look forward to - not forgetting March that has a past record of producing heavy snow fall, and even April (does anyone remember April 2008?!)

Edited by snow raven

Posted

It is far too mild out there this morning!

Posted

It is far too mild out there this morning!

We had the windows open last night for an hour or so as the house was so hot when we got home from work (mind you, forgetting to turn the heating off all day probably didn't help!)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

Possibly, you are from the North of Kent....... :whistling:

It could be worse, I could be from Sheppey :nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, hot sunny weather

Oh my, were we expecting this deluge!! Trees blowing like mad, rain absolutely torrential!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Sudden onset of torrential rain and very strong winds. Our wheely bin has fallen on its side despite having two full bin liners in there. Quite exciting really.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Yes a pretty active cold front coming through, wasnt expecting quite such a squally wind and heavy downpour like that. Thats made for a more interesting day for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: I do like the cold weather......

I live in the Spotlight BBC region,we have David Braine as weather forecaster. He is ex-navy and knows his weather. http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/about/newsid_8369000/8369147.stm

I am in Weston-Super-Mare at the moment for the Christmas period. Tis a tad windy today,with rain.....

Edited by WestCountry11

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Well we are currently slightly below average for december snow days but not terrible going by met office maps.

post-8911-0-47780200-1324650283_thumb.gi

Lets hope we make up for lost days in january although even an average one would see a few snow days for most.

post-8911-0-90567000-1324650333_thumb.gi

Just been told its been sleeting at home last half hour.

Edited by mullender83

Posted

A quick zoom on the radar shows what looks like a good squall line developing over North Dorset, rain has suddenly increased here.

Correction it hammering down now, that's definitely a squall line the wind suddenly whipped up and the rain is bouncing of the road.

Edited by Dorsetbred

Posted

Just been out to my local shops and Noticed a very low very black line heading west to East.

It passed over head with torrential rain and what was either a tornado or gustnado crossing the high street about 30m in frount of me. Could see very fast rotation and it sent some of the market stall, chairs, signs etc flying through the air. 20m up from this the market stalls are completly untouched.

Just before it hit a few kids were running around in the heavy rain as kids do, then they all ran screaming away. No one hurt that I could see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Just been out to my local shops and Noticed a very low very black line heading west to East.

It passed over head with torrential rain and what was either a tornado or gustnado crossing the high street about 30m in frount of me. Could see very fast rotation and it sent some of the market stall, chairs, signs etc flying through the air. 20m up from this the market stalls are completly untouched.

Just before it hit a few kids were running around in the heavy rain as kids do, then they all ran screaming away. No one hurt that I could see.

Thanks for the report Dave.

It is quite possible that something such as a tornado could have occured, although perhaps only straight line winds were the cause.

T'was an active squall line earlier. Here's my comment on the profile feed.

As others have rightly stated, that was an impressive squall line. The temperature has dropped from 10.3c to 6.3c in less than half an hour. An Air Pressure kick of 1.8hpa in literally minutes. Was 1008.5hpa, now 1011.5hpa less than half an hour ago. Now 6.2c and much colder to come once the skies clear. Still raining and dark but nevertheless most interesting.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

PS Now down to 5.8c and a wee while before the clearance reaches me.

Posted

Just got home from shopping and decided to wait in the car until the rain stopped!!!

Next thing, the winds go crazy, my big heavy car was being thrown around and mine and the neighbours bins went for a ride up the road. I decided to run for the house before something big blew into me!!!

I don't mind this weather IF I don't have to go out,,,, but I do :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, hot, hot! Or cold, cold, cold!

Squall hit just as I was about to walk the dog. Blimey it was quite something! Temp in Soton has dropped from 10 to 7 in the past hour. Annoyingly the wind thingy is not working on our local weather station :-( http://southamptonwe...shchart-day.php

Edited by katemart

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Just been hit by a mini tornado. Tree across the road went down and huge squall passing with torrential rain.

Definite rotation of winds...

Scary!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Here's a graphical representation of the squall courtesy of my Weather Station.

post-7183-0-31265900-1324655800_thumb.pn

That certainly made up for a dull day quite literally.

Happy Christmas all.

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Sunny and Dry with a Hard Frost.

yep, the cold front is just passing us. Knocked over 3 degrees off the temp in the last 15 mins....

Posted

Wow. What a cold front that was !! Its just blasted through the NW London suburbs and was one of the most impressive Ive seen in a very long time. Almost Derecho like.

Unfortunately my AWS is situated very close to the back of my flat, and the front approached from the opposite direction so my readings are not all they could be. A maximum gust of 27.2mph, but it was far higher than that, I seriously struggled to push my front door closed at one point. Horizontal rain of near monsoon proportions, a nearby aws reported a rate of 51 mm's an hour.

Some very large ( approx 20 metres tall ) fir trees to the front of our properties were being whipped every which way, and the temperature plummeted from 10.4c to 7.1c in 10 minutes. Now 20 minutes later its 6.3c. Brace yourselves further South and East, this beaut is on its way !!