Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

Looking at the radar the precip seems to be clearing Cardiff:S?

Posted

Judging by the radar the precip, falling as rain at the moment, is moving away and we don't have long left so I think that's that for here! Oh well, at least I can get to work without any fuss tomorrow :D

Good night, hope some of you see snow.

Yep. 2.9c here now. My fear is precipitation now... not temps haha.

Also, we might have to battle icy roads on the way to work... depending on how low the temp gets.

Good night CarmsSnow

Posted

Pressure starting to rise here now suggesting the low is indeed moving off. Temperture is really bugging me not moving.

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

Moderate sleet here and expect to wake up to a covering of snow.

Edited by TonyH

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Sleety here now too...Temp 1.5c

Edited by Snowmadsam

Posted

It's south of Caernarfon though.

Precipitation increasing to our nw so game on! Also over much of Wales its intensified recentlly.

Posted

Pressure starting to rise here now suggesting the low is indeed moving off. Temperture is really bugging me not moving.

Looking at the models I think Cardiff will struggle, temp profiles seem to be held up a little for you guys and doesn't really drop away till the very back-end of the frontal system.

Posted

After looking in a few threads and seeing some charts people have posted, I'm not holding my breath :-( May as well hit the hay, maybe I'll be pleasently supprised come dawn? Happy lampost watching all, nyt nyt :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Jackone... As I live in caernarfon nw wales I can confirm that there is no precipitation falling from that on the radar! Well gutted!

What do you lot think with the fact there is no precipitation falling from that precipitation over nw wales?

Definitely nothing here. I'm slightly more inland than Caernarfon, right under supposedly heavy precipitation according to the radar. However, it's not just "not raining", I can see the stars, dammit!

Posted

Still a sleety mix here, hail, wet snow, rain, graupel. Low dp though (-0.8c) so fine slushy layer going down. Temp is 1.3c now, has dropped steadily over the last hour.

Posted

No ! Look at raintoday and met office. It shows it over some of anglesey too but theres nothing at all!

Very little over anglesey or the n Wales coast on net weather radar.

Posted

The centre of the low is probably clipping cardiff right now, Now the centre will retain its warmth ie warm sector and so temperature may rise in places as it tracks East, as the low moves East then the percipitation will turn more wintry. Cardiff it self may be borderline but with heavy percipitation that will change, so as the low clears eastwards we need the percipitation to become intense to allow Evaporative cooling of the air. Expect to start seeing snow proper from now on North and slightly west of Cardiff, moving South and East as we move towards Dawn

Posted

Temperture starting to take a tumble.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Very little over anglesey or the n Wales coast on net weather radar.

MetO RADAR is showing almost all of Wales being rained on.

Something's not tallying up.

Attached is their RADAR for half ten tonight. We saw absolutely nothing like that. (image courtesy of the Met Office, obviously)

Most curious.

post-15840-0-38768100-1323992621_thumb.j

Edited by Gorath

Posted

Its very annoying isnt it gorath

Definitely nothing here. I'm slightly more inland than Caernarfon, right under supposedly heavy precipitation according to the radar. However, it's not just "not raining", I can see the stars, dammit!

Posted

You also find the radar does this with snow more than rain, i expect its picking up is the snow forming in the air which will reflect the radar signal and hopefully when the air can no longer hold its weight we will see snow falling. I am not a radar expert at all, but this seems to be a common observation every winter. I just think the ice crystals in the low cloud reflect back giving interpretation that its falling percipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

That PPN in the irish sea is starting to get a move on...pushing southeastwards...this is a very slow process tonight, but things starting to take shape now, looks like more heavier PPN possible by dawn for much of wales, which by then the temperatures would be close to freezing. Temperature 2.5C here now. I could be wrong but lets see what happens.

Edit...also behind that band of rain/snow in southern ireland, temps at -3 in centre of ireland now

Edited by Marcus_surfer

Posted

Nice area of precip now Wales, looks like the NMM has under-estimated the amount of precip that is being left behind by the front. All good news for Welsh chances of snow in the next hour or two. I think snow reports should become much more frequant from now on.

Posted

You also find the radar does this with snow more than rain, i expect its picking up is the snow forming in the air which will reflect the radar signal and hopefully when the air can no longer hold its weight we will see snow falling. I am not a radar expert at all, but this seems to be a common observation every winter. I just think the ice crystals in the low cloud reflect back giving interpretation that its falling percipitation. I know Jackone has alot of information on Snow so perhaps he or TonyH can explain the phenomnen of phatom radar

Posted

You also find the radar does this with snow more than rain, i expect its picking up is the snow forming in the air which will reflect the radar signal and hopefully when the air can no longer hold its weight we will see snow falling. I am not a radar expert at all, but this seems to be a common observation every winter. I just think the ice crystals in the low cloud reflect back giving interpretation that its falling percipitation.

Ah, now THAT would make sense, yes. Good call.

Nice area of precip now Wales, looks like the NMM has under-estimated the amount of precip that is being left behind by the front. All good news for Welsh chances of snow in the next hour or two. I think snow reports should become much more frequant from now on.

What precipitation? There's nothing falling!