Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Wales - Regional Weather Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Ah, now THAT would make sense, yes. Good call.

What precipitation? There's nothing falling!

It looks like the main PPN has developed on the border of you and heavier stuff has gone south of Caernarfon !

Posted

What precipitation? There's nothing falling!

It's just saving itself for me, staying up the the clouds... knows where to fall that precipitation does :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes, I believe it's a build up of ice crystals which have the effect of reflecting and giving the appearance of falling precipitation. It can happen in heavy, freezing fog too. A good sign for parts of Wales and the Midlands though.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

Sigh. I'm off to play Skyrim for a bit.

At least there's always snow there.

Posted

Anyone got any info on the winds in France at the moment? What winds would we be having if this storm tracked further north?

Posted

Snow now... well graupel at least, but white stuff, sense the turn to proper flakes is fast approaching. Now if only I wasn't stuck between two bands of proper precip, it's all very light here atm, radar shows a narrow corridor of relative dryness right over me. Temp 1.1c, dp -1.0c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme - anything but dull and dreary. The snowier the better.

nice map?!?

I'm guessing that's supposed to represent the Bristol channel?

Really could be any of a number of places!

Posted

Haha. Just had a server busy message so couldn't refresh! Got a bit nervous. Someone I know say's it's snowing where they live, further up the valleys so I guess it's a sit and wait exercise for me atleast.

Wishing Andymusic would hurry up and get back home! We need his upbeat spirit to get us all optimistic :p

Edited by Daniel Miller

Posted

Snow here but so light. Precip not really moving, though if the band to the north of me is falling as snow then Llanidloes, Newtown, Welshpool even will be getting decent accumulations. So near and yet so far...

Posted

Posted

yes highest point camera now has slushy snow on the road and looks similar at dowlais

So its looking positive

Pressure still dropping here in Cardiff 2mb in last hour and storm alarm on my watch has been going for last few hours, So low must still be over us at this time, looking at radar you can see the percipitation rotating around the centre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snow. Summer: Hot and Dry

yes highest point camera now has slushy snow on the road and looks similar at dowlais

So its looking positive

Pressure still dropping here in Cardiff 2mb in last hour and storm alarm on my watch has been going for last few hours, So low must still be over us at this time, looking at radar you can see the percipitation rotating around the centre

How much will the temperature drop when that low finally moves away? Im currently on 2.1c

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snowy, Hot and Dry, Blizzard Conditions

Im off to bed now guys (good luck!) lets hope for a surpise in the morning ( is snow likely for us south westerners?)

Posted

Haha. Just had a server busy message so couldn't refresh! Got a bit nervous. Someone I know say's it's snowing where they live, further up the valleys so I guess it's a sit and wait exercise for me atleast.

Wishing Andymusic would hurry up and get back home! We need his upbeat spirit to get us all optimistic :p

I'm back - what a day - up at 5 am this morning - straight up to London so that the mrs can do her audition in King's Cross for the BBC's "The Voice" show (BBC's version of the x factor I think) - took longer than we thought - so trapped in commuter traffic getting out of London - managed to get back for her to be Whitney just in time at 10.30 tonight, and now just getting in - still rain out there - but it all looks promising to me -- snow should make it's way over all of south wales eventually!

Posted

How much will the temperature drop when that low finally moves away? Im currently on 2.1c

Thats fine for snow, its dew point we need to watch, Not only will this drag cooler air in but if percipitation is intense enough you get evaporative cooling.

pretty much same thing as the way air conditioning works.

This is a perfect situation with this low IF we had been in a long period of stubborn cold, with blocking over Europe. This then would have been almost like a lottery win, a deep low undercutting the UK the way this low has. I bet we all watch a similar situation early next year really hoping it pans out like this.

Unfortunately we have not got deep cold in place and a cold block over Europe. Infact no one saw this situation 5 or 6 days ago, so its like a little early xmas pressie.

There is talk of a SSW situation which will then if it comes off disrupt the polar Vortex, so early next year the blocking in Europe allowing cold air to flood down looks feasable. I would think about 3 - 4 weeks from now and we might see something much colder accross in Europe trying to head towards us. Alot of ifs and buts to get to that point thou.

Think we just going to have to enjoy this little spell for now, even if it means jumping in a car to find a hill to sledge down.

Posted

Its only now starting to move into England, The wind will turn ENE then N behind it dragging cooler air at upper levels, and less modified air at lower levels.

The biggest worry is actual percipitation, heavier percipitation then more likely for snow at lower levels.

Expect main event TO START 3AM - 7am depending on location

Posted

The last few frames the precip seems to have begun to move southward, so perhaps winds swinging round a bit more northerly. Pressure still falling here, which surprises me, expecting this to bottom out soon. GFS overlay shows uppers just -3 at the moment no wonder it is sleety, -4s and -5s to the north, hopefully starting to head south soon.

Posted

Highest point camera rd is white now, snowing nicely so improving all the time, obviously it high there but you can steadily see snowfall is making its way to lower elevations.

Newtown Powys seem to have snow but not sticking yet, probably again with elevation they will see snow on hills already.

An improving picture accross Mid and East Wales at this time, and pretty much as forecast. I say snowing in Cardiff around 7 am, but i can not say if it will stick as its very marginal