Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South Central England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

It's 2C (36F) here currently, I'm hopeful that we will get our first frost at least tonight, as snow prospects not looking good.

Edited by SunnySouthCoast

Posted

It's 2C (36F) here currently, I'm hopeful that we will get our first frost at least tonight, as snow prospects not looking good.

Wow, what a difference a few miles make! Its -1.2c here with a DP of -5.2c!

I'm keeping a close eye on that development in the SE...

SM

Posted

Wow, what a difference a few miles make! Its -1.2c here with a DP of -5.2c!

I'm keeping a close eye on that development in the SE...

SM

Yes it's always a good few degrees warmer here on Portsea Island, especially at the southern end where I am.

I'm hoping we may see at least a flurry tomorrow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Morning all.

How did we all fair? I don't think we had any flurries last night and this morning have a decent frost. Haven't checked any radars charts yet but it seems some temps down to -5 nearish at middlewallop. BBC news suggesting "plenty of wintry showers for some". Best try and see what that is all about heh?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Very good frost in Christchurch. Got to -4.3 here last night. But no flurries of snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Good dump of snow or a damn good thunderstorm

Frost in north hants. -5 last night . Presently -3. No flurries. Clear skies.

Looks like we might be in with a shout later.

Edit : Should add with more flurries not huge dumps. Don't want to raise expectations too much.

It is Hampshire after all.

Still, the meto are uncertain so still hope yet.

Edited by flyer

Posted

go on, you know you love it........... :winky:

post-6667-0-26658400-1327996326.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

go on, you know you love it........... :winky:

post-6667-0-26658400-1327996326.png

Think that just skirts us here in Bournemouth! Not fair!!! Lol. We always miss out here. I have been told numerous times that it's the purbecks fault as they shelter us. I just think its because I live here and have bad luck!

Posted

We always miss out here. I have been told numerous times that it's the purbecks fault as they shelter us. I just think its because I live here and have bad luck!

I blame Old Harry!!! :lol:

Posted

i don't really fancy our chances that much in terms of snow showers in the next couple of days. However, the weekend is starting look quite interesting. Problem is we are likley to be picking up an onshore wind as the front pushes east so (as always) the coastal strip is in grave danger of just seeing rain - could be interesting inland though. Definitely something to watch over the next couple of days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I wouldn't get too worked up on where that chart is showing snow or sleet. Still unsure wether we will see a battleground let alone what will fall. I personally think a battleground is one of the more likely solutions to this cold spell this weekend and could see some snowfall on its eastern edge. Possible reload a short while after? Ties in with both the Met Office long range and GP's thoughts..

Clear skies last night for a short while mean't we got down to -2.6c. But by midnight temperature back upto 0.2c with cloud being the main focus. We now have fog in Oxford, though signs of the sun starting to break through.

Enjoy the next few days as it's going to get colder and feel it! Also wouldn't rule out a slight covering in coming days as more showers will fous South Eastern parts, brushing our region?

Regards,Mark

Edited by Mark 'Ox' Neal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think a battleground situation is our best bet, but seeing as a proper battleground (ie. the cold wins) is incredibly rare it doesn't look too promising at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Although, saying that, the NAE shows a wintry finger giving us a poke!

http://expert-images...020206_3106.gif

I finish uni at 1 today so I'll do a post saying what each model is showing for the coming days.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

Well well well nick. That model could be onto something. Bright bright glorious sunshine when I left Newbury but as soon as i get to reading a different story. Sun is trying so hard to get through ,

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny or Cold and snowy

Looks like our chances have been scuppered! This week never looked like it would really get going snow wise so not a surprise there but disappointing to see the weekend chances gradually getting pushed away. Still a chance of something else towards the middle of next week although I think as this week progresses that chance will decrease as well. Not looking good, what a shame but with nearly every model now in agreement it's hard to ignore the facts. Only bit of strawclutching I can take is a hope that GP is seeing something the models aren't!

Posted

Still not low enough for a frost here ,minimum was 0.5C (33F) last night. Surely it has to go below 0C tonight :help:

Posted

Still not low enough for a frost here ,minimum was 0.5C (33F) last night. Surely it has to go below 0C tonight :help:

Being close to the sea and the city really does make a difference doesn't it! I got a low of -4.2c this morning at 6.30am.

Currently 1.7c DP -5.5c was sunny but got some cloud now and a bit of mist.

Posted

Snowing here on the south coast! Dissapointing flecks that seemed to have stopped before i even finished typing!

Posted

Being close to the sea and the city really does make a difference doesn't it! I got a low of -4.2c this morning at 6.30am.

Currently 1.7c DP -5.5c was sunny but got some cloud now and a bit of mist.

Yes a double whammy of by the sea and the urban heat island effect <_<

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow

reports of snow showers in wootton on the isle of wight...light icy rain in newport...very sleety.lets hope it can turn to snow soon.very very overcast atm.lets hope snow showers pep up all day :) at last a glimmer :/.......the worse thing is.it was the coldest night last night.i drove to work and it was -4 and we still cant get a decent flurry ;)

Edited by iowpompeylee

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Hi, I thought this might interest you, been a delay in the met office outlook for beyond Sunday....

UK Outlook for Sunday 5 Feb 2012 to Tuesday 14 Feb 2012:

Sunday is likely to be unsettled and mostly cloudy with a band of rain and snow lying north to south across the country. Although there remains considerable uncertainty regarding exactly where this band will lie central and eastern parts are most likely to see snow and/or ice, with perhaps some significant falls of snow in places. Less cold in the north and west, but remaining cold elsewhere. Into next week, eastern, central and southern areas are likely to become more settled with a good deal of dry weather. Temperatures here are likely to stay cold, perhaps even very cold for some. Northern and northwestern areas then remaining unsettled with rain and strong winds at times but less cold. The cold theme looks likely to continue into the following week .

Updated: 1239 on Tue 31 Jan 2012

They seem to think that it will remain cold ifnot very cold in south and east for most of the week and contiuning into the following week, good sign?!

• Ian Fergusson(Bbc Forecaster for West Country) saying on twitter a short-time ago, the met model update showed snowy breakdown for South Central/South Eastern Areas.

Regards,Mark.

Edited by Mark 'Ox' Neal

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Well I would say this latest longer-term update from the MetO is very positive indeed for our region. :good:

Ok, it will once again change tomorrow and the day after etc. but that is the nature of our climate. :80:

Sunday is likely to be unsettled and mostly cloudy with a band of rain and snow lying north to south across the country. Although there remains considerable uncertainty regarding exactly where this band will lie central and eastern parts are most likely to see snow and/or ice, with perhaps some significant falls of snow in places. Less cold in the north and west, but remaining cold elsewhere. Into next week, eastern, central and southern areas are likely to become more settled with a good deal of dry weather. Temperatures here are likely to stay cold, perhaps even very cold for some. Northern and northwestern areas then remaining unsettled with rain and strong winds at times but less cold. The cold theme looks likely to continue into the following week.

And then further on.

UK Outlook for Wednesday 15 Feb 2012 to Wednesday 29 Feb 2012:

Cold weather looks likely during this period with both daytime maximum and night-time minimum temperatures likely to be below or well below average much of the time. This would also suggest rainfall amounts being largely near or below average in many areas but, possibly, above average over southern Britain. Given below average temperatures are expected, some snow is also likely at times.

Ok, so they are really playing with their cards close to their chests but with their extra guidance, this does NOT scream MILD BREAKDOWN to me. It does in fact, scream the opposite for the whole of February, lots of POTENTIAL as hinted at by the Stratopsheric guys within netweather.

Let's hop something snowy turns up in the nearer term, given that it is going to perishingly cold, even in costa del Southsea and other desperately unlucky places. :D

Be lucky

gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

Hi, I thought this might interest you, been a delay in the met office outlook for beyond Sunday....

Sunday is likely to be unsettled and mostly cloudy with a band of rain and snow lying north to south across the country. Although there remains considerable uncertainty regarding exactly where this band will lie central and eastern parts are most likely to see snow and/or ice, with perhaps some significant falls of snow in places. Less cold in the north and west, but remaining cold elsewhere. Into next week, eastern, central and southern areas are likely to become more settled with a good deal of dry weather. Temperatures here are likely to stay cold, perhaps even very cold for some. Northern and northwestern areas then remaining unsettled with rain and strong winds at times but less cold. The cold theme looks likely to continue into the following week .

They seem to think that it will remain cold ifnot very cold in south and east for most of the week and contiuning into the following week, good sign?!

• Ian Fergusson(Bbc Forecaster for West Country) saying on twitter a short-time ago, the met model update showed snowy breakdown for South Central/South Eastern Areas.

Regards,Mark.

You beat me to it, but I must say I LIKE IT.

IT SCREAMS POTENTIAL and whilst there is POTENTIAL, there is HOPE. :drinks:

And to add further to your last part as highlighted, this is the CRUCIAL part, if it were to stall over your region (whoevers?) this could produce snowfall of epic proportions, say upwards of a foot or more over high ground, who knows at this stage. :sorry: I am highlighting this part in particular because the MetO are clearly looking at it as well. Februarys from years gone by, have produced these battleground events on numerous occasions from very similar synoptics to which we are currently enduring. :good: My guess and it is purely a guess would be to favour the Southwest of our region with the usual caveats of elevation and places away from the coast being best favoured.

Amazing times ahead.

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Cheers

gottolovethisweather

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & sunny in summer, cold & snowy in winter, love a good thunderstorm

Had a couple of minutes of light snow just now - all stopped now but was still good to see. The brightness of the morning has been replaced by a very cold looking grey sky - wonder if there will be more to come?