Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread

Posted

The south-west has quite a temperature range currently, from -10.3C in Hurn up to 8.1C on the Scilly Isles. 18C+ range is quite impressive for the whole uk in winter let alone in just one region.

Hurn is often particularly cold due to the open expanse of the airport which is basically on sandy soil which radiates heat away very quicky.

Not too hopeful of seeing much in the way of snow in Weymouth.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

-10.4 here still this morning. The sky is crystal clear! Hoping that we may see even a little flurry tonight in Christchurch.

Hurn is often particularly cold due to the open expanse of the airport which is basically on sandy soil which radiates heat away very quicky.

I am about 2 miles away from hurn and it's -10.4 in my garden! Its cold! Lol

Posted

Well its certainly interesting , eve n the nae charts tend to change/adjust even with 6-12 hours to go before an event, a quick question , upon the cotswolds like i am , the met at 00hrs sunday has the front about 30miles to the east of me and it tends to stay there for the night, do you think me been on high ground will help keep it as snow? Sorry to ask i dont normaly do this but im just after a bit of giudence, thanks.

i think anywhere above 300ft in your area should keep it as snow with a bit of luck, nae isn't find enough detail to pick out these kinds of things (todays temps for me are a prime example it's forcasting a min of -6 but it's actually -10.)

ukv takes it away from our region by midnight by and large and it a little keener on keeping it wintry.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold & snow, hot & thundery!

Morning all, newbie here (but have been a NW follower for years now!). Good luck to you all with regards to todays' snow event!

I live in Plymouth, 4m ASL so 99.9% resigned to not seeing any of the white stuff here lol, but one can only hope!! Round 2 maybe this time next week?

Enjoy your day!

TP

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

i think anywhere above 300ft in your area should keep it as snow with a bit of luck, nae isn't find enough detail to pick out these kinds of things (todays temps for me are a prime example it's forcasting a min of -6 but it's actually -10.)

ukv takes it away from our region by midnight by and large and it a little keener on keeping it wintry.

Right ok thanks, someone on the midland thred told me its to turn sleety for brum around 18;00hrs and it nearly made me sick! So where can i view the ukv? Is it reliable?

Posted

:cold: Wow, impressive - well in the last hour the temp has risen from -3 to 0c, light rain has just arrived :wallbash:

Hi, Here in Poole Dorset it's -8.6oc brrrrrrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms :D

Morning all, newbie here (but have been a NW follower for years now!). Good luck to you all with regards to todays' snow event!

I live in Plymouth, 4m ASL so 99.9% resigned to not seeing any of the white stuff here lol, but one can only hope!! Round 2 maybe this time next week?

Enjoy your day!

TP

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum :) an exciting day ahead, good luck in Plymouth . :smiliz46:

Posted

Right ok thanks, someone on the midland thred told me its to turn sleety for brum around 18;00hrs and it nearly made me sick! So where can i view the ukv? Is it reliable?

don't know where they get that from tbh, but the meto's nae has it at snow at birmingham even at midnight (and for your area).

post-6326-0-27338000-1328341726_thumb.gi

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

Still looks like a very close situation for us mendips I think it will end up a now cast event.

I am working in bristol til 5.30 ao could have an interesting drive home. ;)

Posted

-8.1c so the coldest so far. Shouldn't be too long until the high cloud begins to move in but right now the 5th clear and sparkling

morning in a row.

:cold: Wow, impressive - well in the last hour the temp has risen from -3 to 0c, light rain has just arrived :wallbash:

Is it freezing on the surfaces?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer

don't know where they get that from tbh, but the meto's nae has it at snow at birmingham even at midnight (and for your area).

Iv just googled the ukv midel and its the mets high detailed model with mouch more on offer than the nae and had the verification graphs between all the mods including the nae and the ukv tops the lot, srangeky though it wouldnt ket me run it through though!

Posted

-8.1c so the coldest so far. Shouldn't be too long until the high cloud begins to move in but right now the 5th clear and sparkling

morning in a row.

Posted

no sorry shaun, the meto invent site use to have access to it, but its been removed now and i don't think is publically available in a website. if you have the beta version of the meto app you can see some of the ukv output.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

no sorry shaun, the meto invent site use to have access to it, but its been removed now and i don't think is publically available in a website. if you have the beta version of the meto app you can see some of the ukv output.

When the app doesn't crash on you that is! Everytime I go to see the radar on the app it crashes! Is it just me?

Posted

it does take a very long time to load up on my iphone even in a good wifi area, if i am not on wifi i don't bother using it as you say it crashes alot !

UKV sweeps the front through alot quicker than the nae, so it will be interesting to see which is better.

Posted

morning in a row.

Hi AB, no, unfortunately not. I'm extremely surprised by the rise in temp here in the last hour or so. Good luck for your location and to everyone else too - I guess away from the coast and the SW corner (as per METO) then you'll be in the mix!

Posted

Got no access to charts, wheres the nearest place to torquay it is likely to initially fall as snow , as im stuck in a hotel with mrs and kids under protest in this snowless dump . Exeter got any chance?

Posted

:good:

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum :) an exciting day ahead, good luck in Plymouth . :smiliz46:

Hi Jane, thank you. Good to be on board after many years of reading all the threads here on NW.

Posted

Woke up to a chilly -10.5c and DP of -11c here in North Dorset, going to have to de ice the inside of the bathroom window soon :sorry:

Edited by hazard

Posted

A lot of people will be suprised today and see snow they didn't expect (if only for a couple of hours).

It's all coming together quite nicely. Dont obsess by the models (apart from nae ppn type) just watch the radar start to show snow in more areas than forecast....

Posted

Hi. If it's any help for you guys further north and east, we have light snow in South Devon 300ft asl. Not forecast at any time this week! Appears to be from a shower ahead of the main rain band. Settling on roads so proves how cold the ground is!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Morning All, just run the meto radar thru, it seems that some precipitation has come further our way but fizzles out? Is that due to it hitting the cold air?