Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 5

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Yes they're annoying, I get spam accounts following nearly everyday. If you click block or report for spam if should get rid of them.

ahh ok no worries

Right back on topic now after that little derailment. Try not and moan too much and depress people. :good:

i didnt derail. i well and truly crashed

i think we need a new thread for to get rid of all the hassle

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Well behind my house is Hawkhurst head at 1050ft which offers panoramic views like this.

http://www.yourlocal...-head-76069.jpg

Or there's Combs Moss in chapel-en-le-frith, also on the same Manchester-Buxton line where you can see panoramas like this.

http://stigvista.co....ombsmoss_11.jpg

Were spoilt for choice in the Dark Peak.

Looks stunning SJ.

I think I will have a journey over on half term. :)

Manchester airport closed.

Leeds/Bradford airport closed.

Birmingham airport closed.

All taxis suspended in Leeds.

Who's up for a trip to Yorkshire?!

Posted
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,frost and fog
  • Location: Bootle merseyside (near to coast at Waterloo,Crosby)

I'm so jealous now! I need to move to the Central Lakes I think to get away from this snow starved coast. :sorry:

Might have a drive inland tomorrow and see what snow delights greet me.

it will be gone by tomorrow

Posted

Really contemplating a train to Buxton! Right at the foot of the Peak District, armed with my camera, I could snap up some very nice photos!

You know you want to, would say it would be a great day to be out and about around there tomorrow.

Think I shall go for a walk too tomorrow, Shuttlingsloe usually pretty good for great views.

Posted

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

God knows whose following me, some right dirty lot about. How do they find you?

i dunno only just signed up and bang there coming from every angle.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Whats that i hear you say, more snow falling :p

well spotted. I'd shut the curtains ha.

Posted

You know you want to, would say it would be a great day to be out and about around there tomorrow.

Think I shall go for a walk too tomorrow, Shuttlingsloe usually pretty good for great views.

Unlikely to get there tomorrow, could be some major delays on the rail. :o

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

The top 4 posters of the day so far are the ones that have no snow, excluding Happy Days.

post-9615-0-85820700-1328386740_thumb.pn

Posted

In summary of my earlier post. There appears to have been a pocket of mild-ish air at roughly 3,000ft or 900hPa. It was around +4C, so this was readily melting the snow before it reached the ground:

post-8895-0-76092300-1328386814_thumb.jp

Posted

In summary of my earlier post. There appears to have been a pocket of mild-ish air at roughly 3,000ft or 900hPa. It was around +4C, so this was readily melting the snow before it reached the ground:

post-8895-0-76092300-1328386814_thumb.jp

2nd time i read this bt and it still not making me feel any better. Only this time i got a brain wave to build a house 3000ft up in the air. :lol: Edited by Saintpeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

well spotted. I'd shut the curtains ha.

It looks like thats the last bits of it though.

Hopefully a good frosty night tonight and then 4 inches of crisp snow to get out in tomorrow and then possibly more top ups in the next few days.

Posted

Unlikely to get there tomorrow, could be some major delays on the rail. :o

Hmm yeah, at least you now know for another time.

Just opened my window and got showered in ice that had stuck all around it. Werent expecting that to happen :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

It looks like thats the last bits of it though.

Hopefully a good frosty night tonight and then 4 inches of crisp snow to get out in tomorrow and then possibly more top ups in the next few days.

yeah mate that's the lot. 8 and a half hours none stop here. hopefully that's not the lot for the month.

Posted

Hello you guys again,

Been following activity of this thread all day today so I thought I will have a post. A bit disappointed we had no snow in Liverpool at all today considering how cold it has been, but I did get that freezing rain which still made it interesting. Everywhere outside my house including walls and car windows are glazed in ice - it seemed like one of those North American style ice storms - you don't get that to often in Liverpool - We even have icicles aswell.

A question for you - why did we get zero snow today considering the low temperatures and dew points below freezing for most of the day - even with the heavier PPN? Considering how cold this spell is going, I would really like a good chance of snow in my part of the world - yes snow can be pretty rare in Liverpool considering our close proximity to the warm Irish Sea but in 2010 and 2011 we did well - really well for this part of the world I would say.

Anyway does anyone think that this cold spell could potentially exceed December 2010 for severity - looking at some of the temperatures over the UK and nearby Mainland Europe I would say its certainly possible - -11C or -12C in the SE of England and just over the North Sea in Holland around -20C yes I know they are closer to the continental landmass but I don't remember Amsterdam being as cold as that in December 2010 - they must be having thier coldest start to February since at leas 1963 if not 1947! So if the Easterly wind continues it certainly isn't going to be warm and I want to see some snow to make the cold spell worthwhile!

Luke

Posted

Just had to leave my car and walk never had to do that before, possibly 8 inches of snow and drifts of a couple of feet minimum on road out of Macclesfield currently -2 and still snowing but slightly lighter now. Will have to go and get my car on the morning and hope no one sees me!

Just had to leave my car and walk never had to do that before, possibly 8 inches of snow and drifts of a couple of feet minimum on road out of Macclesfield currently -2 and still snowing but slightly lighter now. Will have to go and get my car on the morning and hope no one sees me!

Posted

Next time I look outside I expect there'll be stars twinkling instead of white stuff falling from the sky. http://www.sat24.com/gb

Then we will get a nice frost then but I really do want our turn for snow to come - I was expecting it today so I am a bit disappointed we had Freezing Rain and ice pellets all day when it should have been cold enough for the white stuff!

Posted

Just been outside for a quick measure of the snow, 12cm in a sheltered spot, 7cm on the lawn. Seems to be a bit sleety out there now, cant complain though we've had a good snowfall and looks like there will be a frost tonight for most people. Ice will be a big problem tomorrow morning, fortunately not many people have to go anywhere.

Posted

gutted for you mate but im aware what a rotten areas the west of NWEnglnd is for snow.

If i lived there i would defo be moving further east and higher up.

The thing is though, this is one of those setups which we tend to do relatively well from and yet it's ballsed up big time. A pretty dreadful day from my point of view - a complete waste of a golden opportunity.

I might take a sabbatical from the forum for a few days, else I think I'll go insane. Never mind Southampton - I'm finding it hard right now to see places like Rome and Marseille covered in snow.

Gutted.

Posted

Just been outside for a quick measure of the snow, 12cm in a sheltered spot, 7cm on the lawn. Seems to be a bit sleety out there now, cant complain though we've had a good snowfall and looks like there will be a frost tonight for most people. Ice will be a big problem tomorrow morning, fortunately not many people have to go anywhere.

Apart from me that has to go and dig my car out! Should have taken the landrover

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Raintoday shows PPN type now :D

Posted

Manchester Airport has reopened. Also confirmed by myself seeing one of the jets flying out below the cloudbase just now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any extreme weather conditions

Dry here now and it seems a bit 'warmer'