Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands Regional Discussion - Part 4

A.J

Posted
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme winter cold,heavy bowing snow,freezing fog.Summer 2012
  • Location: South Derbyshire nr. Burton on Trent, Midlands, UK: alt 262 feet

The snow stopped around 10:30 GMT. An average depth of 10cm here with a crust on top of powder, so a slight thaw before the temperature dropped to –3.5c.

Posted

11cm here but temps at 1.4c!! and very damp, misty and thawing! Better get out with the kids and make the snowman while there is some left!

Posted

+1 degrees here according to my car in Worcestershire

Main roads look slushy .

I hope a good thaw today as stupid wifey went over to Sutton Coldfield yesterday and has to drive home today.

Posted

Best snow event in years here too!

There's no thaw here yet either and the main roads are still white over.

I just hope the buses are running coz I have to travel 4 miles by bus before walking across 2 miles countryside to get to work.

It's gonna be fun whatever happens! :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

slight thaw overnight, misty now at 0.0c still loads left, rain tonight, 00Z's look mostly high pressure dominated, so could be last snow until mid feb

Posted

slight thaw overnight, misty now at 0.0c still loads left, rain tonight, 00Z's look mostly high pressure dominated, so could be last snow until mid feb

Cold air must be hanging on well..

It's 2.0c here and its thawing. Good night though, we've all done well it seems. :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot dry summers and very mild winters

Thank God it's thawing here. I hope it's all gone by tomorrow morning. If not, it will turn my 7 min walk from car to work into 15 mins.

Posted

Just poped in to give you an essex up date.most of our region got between 6/8 cem. Its -2 at the moment.i have some big drifts around me i am in a very rural area.andstll snowing but small flakes

Posted

all snow event for me then, was a bit concerned about the marginality looking at some forecasts, no significant thawing either, so the main roads still covered,but passable, side roads bad too. gonna send my 18 month old daughter out to play in it, though she wasn't too sure about it last night lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Shame that it's thawing so quickly really.

Posted

2-4 inch snow cover here and freezing well,temp ~@ -1c.First Snow here since December 2010. Was expecting a thaw,so really surprised to find it freezing still.

Edited by roymeboy

Posted

Anybody explain why the grit Ive took out of the Council bin isnt doing anything on the road ?

Seem to remember putting some on last year and it was great within the hour. Cheap or wrong type of grit ?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

We had rain for about an hour following the snow last night so it took some depth off it. Still lots left today though but it is thawing and you can see it falling off trees and cars etc. a good snow event though.

Don't think we have quite as much as we had December 2010 but that was a quite exceptional fall.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Hi Folks

Temperature rising slowly here - now 1.9C

Remianed just above freezing all night and the snowing is compacting. Now down to about 5cms but the ground is still frozen solid underneath

Looks like being cloudy but dry

MIA.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Looks lovely out there this morning and from I hear roads are still not clear in Nottingham with buses diverted or cancelled (although not completely stopped like last night).

Going to have a walk shortly to see everything in daylight. I really can't remember the last time we had this much snow and no sign of melting here with temperatures still below freezing.

Posted

Children are gutted it is Sunday. One day later and they would have had a snow day!

Posted

well, all told I think that was pretty good event for the Midlands, both west and east. started snowing here at 2.00pm, finished around 9.30pm. most off heavy stuff came between 7.00pm to 8.30pm.

managed to stop below 0, allday. Last night temps dropped to -6.8 here, presently its -2.1, and no thaw.

this is the third year on the bounce that the drive needs clearing and I won,t be able to use the car on the estate for a few days, to many hills.

But lucky for me I left the car 1/4 mile away near the main roads, so at least this year will be mobile.

and as I thought the Derby , Forest game has be postponed, I think thats a wise move, especially with sad news about Forest owner.

After looking at models looks plenty of chances for more snow through Feb.

:good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Ample sunshine; Hot weather; Mixed winters with cold and mild spells

Children are gutted it is Sunday. One day later and they would have had a snow day!

There would have been no snow day for me - just a hard journey to work on the bike! It'll still be a nightmare tomorrow I'm sure - in fact probably worse as I suspect they'll be a slight thaw followed by a refreeze. And of course it'll be all be packed down after people walking on it today. Going to enjoy the sights of it today and forget the pains of tomorrow morning for now!

Posted

There would have been no snow day for me - just a hard journey to work on the bike! It'll still be a nightmare tomorrow I'm sure - in fact probably worse as I suspect they'll be a slight thaw followed by a refreeze. And of course it'll be all be packed down after people walking on it today. Going to enjoy the sights of it today and forget the pains of tomorrow morning for now!

I thought I read earlier in the thread we are forecast rain? Sorry, can,t access charts on my iPad as mobile connection limited and got no Internet in our new house yet so I am reliant on what people post on here!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

It's times like this when I wish it would hurry up and thaw, I hate it when it gets to the very wet/slushy stage and takes an age to disappear. It was great when it was falling, just a shame about the aftermath.

Still the best single snow event in 5 years though.