Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: rubbish boring weather

The radar is damn annoying this evening! what is it that makes it like this? makes it impossible to see whats coming for me down in Eastbourne. Although it is still snowing and settling everywhere, marginal dp's now tho -0.4 (eek)post-157-0-86392800-1328395016_thumb.png

Edited by jasonuk

Posted

Can confirm a quick walk down the local Total garage (5 minutes max) and on the return journey footprints have disappeared.

To those wondering about the front stalling. The bit over the SE now - giving, say, 1cm or 2 in the next hour or so will continue to pass over and then advect (very) cold air in from the near continent as it occludes just east of Thanet. This creates a block which prevents the stuff currently NW of London from continuing to travel and is forced to occlude over our heads - that means the warm air will rise form clouds, pep up precipitation and give us a good dumping. It helps that London is between the exciting bit and us.

Furthermore, some of that cold air just East of Kent will be sucked into this vertical motion and will ensure that the snow does not turn to rain: it seems as if the 850s seem to go into reverse during the early hours. Eventually the front will wither and the precipitation will appear to move East - when really, the front is stationary, and it's simply where the lapse rates are high enough to continue to support precipitation - the movement SE tomorrow morning will be an illusion, it's just the front decaying from it's western flank.

Keep the faith guys.

Now how can I expect this to affect this area? I'm

Expecting the back end of the band to turn to rain as I'm

sure there on BBC it was blue at the back. Also it appears it'll have cleared by dawn. So the best over the E/SE?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms!! (With the odd gale thrown in)

7-8 cm here now and still snowing steadily!!! Loving it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Burnham on Crouch: Temp -0.3c dewpoint -2.9c snowfall total: Approx 1cm conditions: Moderate snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Looking good out there now, just been out the front to find neighbours having a snowball fight - they've ruined the snowdepth on the car roof, but at this rate it should all be looking tidy again soon. Might be time for an evening stroll...

Posted

I love the snow so much but am trying to get a teaching qualification at the same time. I want snow but can't miss school. Wouldn't mind if I was a my home school down the road but my tp1 placement is in thundersly at the top of church hill...... oh dear!

When my daughter did her placements when she was trainning she went to her nearest school instead.

Posted

Snow has certainly pepped up - looking good now (after a worried first couple of hours of nothing of note!)

Posted

So what Temp and Depths have we got around the SE

Will start it off

Temp : -0.5c

Dewp : -3.8c

Snow depth about 0.5cm

About 1-2cm here Paul but I think we were 20 mins ahead of you

Posted

Now how can I expect this to affect this area? I'm

Expecting the back end of the band to turn to rain as I'm

sure there on BBC it was blue at the back. Also it appears it'll have cleared by dawn. So the best over the E/SE?

I expect the best totals to be Kent/Sussex by the time we've seen this event through. Possibly Canterbury/Ashford as a guess?

Posted

Still about an inch or so in Rickmansworth (just about in the m25, can see it from my window) small fakes still faling heavily though, enough fopr a snowman I reckon, which is the most important part :acute:

Posted

Temp -0.6, DP -1.3 and 8.5cm of snow and still coming down! :drinks:

Wow

That takes the award within the M25 Mike!

Vesuvius yep I must have miscalculated just how slow this band has been to spread east, either that or the Stalling process was ongoing about 2 hours ago at the front end. Good to know 3 miles up the road has 2-3cm