Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

London & The South East Regional Discussion - Part 8

Posted

Just been scouting around the regionals - Pretty sketchy reports with some obvious winners and losers.

Seems Leeds and Yorkshire have done well, as to have the West Midlands, The Fens (Peterborough) have done well so far and to the West and North West of London pretty good also.

The rest is rather patchy with 2-5cm generally.

The front is pushing east at a fair old clip (Faster than Modelled to be fair) It will stall out eventually as it comes up against the more sterner part of the Block.

The Model Output is quite frankly stunning for prolonged cold and more easterly incursions over the next 7-10 days

I think you must be higher up than me Steve - I would say (at an estimate) that I haven't yet had 1cm yet - where about in Barnehurst are you? You must be on one the higher roads.

Up on one of the back roads-

Heading for level 11 now-

The words Alpine snow spring to mind

S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!

BBC news just said snow will be 5-10 for SE with possibly much more for higher ground and no more snow after the warly hours of tomorrow morning.

Posted

I walk up cockshot hill every day to work... :) everything that's falling is settling - not a lot is falling though! About 1-2cm at the mo

I guess if it keeps going, steady as you like, for quite a few overnight hours there could be a fair bit by the morning. We do seem quite well placed though for the week ahead if everything starts coming form the east as seems to be possible. An old style Feb would be quite something.....

AS

Posted

London airports closed - just came on Twitter from Flightradar:

All London airports are now closed. Heathrow and Gatwick are accepting emergencies.

Can't say I'm surprised, the snow looks heavy for at least the next few hours there, probably not safe to fly in these conditions at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow, snow......... Snow

1 & a bit cm here in Barnehurst-

We are entering the period now where I estimate 3-4 maybe 5 hours of very heavy snow-

Hoping to get to 5cm by midnight-

Take note snow raven

S

I do hope so Steve. Big respect to your forecasting!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

What a let down :-( I'm off to bed...enjoy the snow everyone that get's it. Might wonder up onto the hills tomorrow, in the hope I might see one flake of snow somewhere around here, that didn't melt in the pouring rain that we now have :-( ohh well there's always next time I guess (I'm sick of saying that), maybe I'll just move somewhere further away from the channel

I've always fancied living by the sea, your post reminds me why I shouldn't move

Posted

London airports closed - just came on Twitter from Flightradar:

All London airports are now closed. Heathrow and Gatwick are accepting emergencies.

Oh dear what an over reaction. Though Hearhrow doesn't really operate from

10/11 anyway.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Sleet and Snow fizzling out, nothing about turning to rain later though and lasting until about 5 or 6am in the eastern counties, that's I interpretated the BBC forecast a few minutes ago. Got about 1cm now on the Essex coast but hopefully will get upto at least another 7/8 on top! - Currently -0.4c and moderately snowing.

Posted

the West and North West of London pretty good also.

Suspect our area will be closely remsemble those areas above, got similar profiles plus the snow ratio is probably a little better due to those low dew points and slightly lower starting temps as well.

Things still might get close to the mark in the west of this region right towards the back-end but its very much a wait and see.

Posted

Up on one of the back roads-

Heading for level 11 now-

The words Alpine snow spring to mind

S

The snow has certainly pepped up the past 15 mins or so - I'm on Eversley - so a busier road than the back roads.

Posted

So what Temp and Depths have we got around the SE

Will start it off

Temp : -0.5c

Dewp : -3.8c

Snow depth about 0.5cm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy

I love the snow so much but am trying to get a teaching qualification at the same time. I want snow but can't miss school. Wouldn't mind if I was a my home school down the road but my tp1 placement is in thundersly at the top of church hill...... oh dear!

Posted

Heavy snow falling steadily here now! Over an inch on the ground....

Edited by matt_118118

Posted

Must admit tho.. its rushing thru at a fair old pace.. dunno if it will stall at that rate?

We'll have to wait and see, should slow down very soon, though I have my doubts it'll stall over our region (may just slip out to sea IMO) we should see a good 3-4 hours as Steve said of heavy snow from now on.