Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread - Part 2

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Ian Fergusson @fergieweather

@purecharmer yes but a v tight gradient of WBFL frm Bristol to Cardiff on latest model; 20miles E-W cld make big difference re snow to rain.

Anybody know what WBFL is?

Think it means Wet Bulb Freezing Levels?! May be wrong, but has something to do with the conditions making it ok for snow... Or poss not ok in this case

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

So all of somerset, bristol, gloucester , swindon etc look good for snow?

Im not so sure about Swindon, maybe too far east there! A line along the Severn Coast looks best place in our region at the moment. Say Gloucester - Bristol - Weston Super Mare - Taunton.

Right on the coast it might be more sleety, but a couple of miles inland and it should be snow! Still a degree of uncertainty though!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by BristolBlizzard, February 9, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by BristolBlizzard, February 9, 2012 - No reason given

@purecharmer yes but a v tight gradient of WBFL frm Bristol to Cardiff on latest model; 20miles E-W cld make big difference re snow to rain.

im not sure but think there contour lines ..

Posted

is the rain going to clear the snow away?>

No the snow is going to clear the rain away! Lol! :rofl:

Think it means Wet Bulb Freezing Levels?! May be wrong, but has something to do with the conditions making it ok for snow... Or poss not ok in this case

Ahhh Ok thanks! A knife edge scenario then! All fingers and toes crossed!!

Posted

Im not so sure about Swindon, maybe too far east there! A line along the Severn Coast looks best place in our region at the moment. Say Gloucester - Bristol - Weston Super Mare - Taunton.

Right on the coast it might be more sleety, but a couple of miles inland and it should be snow! Still a degree of uncertainty though!

Just checked my forecast on met office heavy snow all nnight before turnin to sleet! Is there any chance it could just be a snow event?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

I like the sound of that. I live 4 miles inland from the Severn coast near the crossings....looks like its going to be a fun drive to work in the morning.

Posted

Just checked my forecast on met office heavy snow all nnight before turnin to sleet! Is there any chance it could just be a snow event?

I will answer that question in exactly 24 hours if you dont mind! :sorry::search:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold in winter, snow, frost but warm summers please

BBC forecast looked pretty bad for down here with rain, turning to rain, turning to rain. Oh well, off to Canada...

Posted

The best places for the best potential snowfall look to be Monmouthshire, the Brecons & Forest of Dean! We are on the eastern edge ( ironically ) at the moment, but if the NAE verifies, I would still expect 5cm of snow quite widely across the region, with favoured areas getting up to 10cm! ( uplands etc )!!

Posted
Posted · Hidden by AWD, February 9, 2012 - Wrong in every way
Hidden by AWD, February 9, 2012 - Wrong in every way

See that snow band in the North Sea, thats moving SW! Heading straight for the West Country! Lol!

post-12721-0-41268400-1328787791_thumb.p

( Slight bit of hopecasting in this post ) :rofl:

Posted

Lots of excitment here.

People seem to forget it will be RAINING before any snow arrives. The snow will fall on wet ground at lower levels so doubt you will see anything near 10cm unless you are on the Mendips.

Temperatures up to 3 to 5 degrees by the afternoon so a quick thaw.

If you want to see some snow, stay up all night.

Looking forward to events after the weekend.

Posted

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=2;ct=4215~Bristol;sess=#forecast

Ooooh, yes please!!

Edited by Active Weather Dude

Posted

Lots of excitment here.

People seem to forget it will be RAINING before any snow arrives. The snow will fall on wet ground at lower levels so doubt you will see anything near 10cm unless you are on the Mendips.

Rain after the snow here the other way round :/

Posted

LOL I'm purecharmer and even I don't know what he means ... I think it is some MetOffice term .

Posted

Lots of excitment here.

Yep, up to 5cm on lower ground, up to 10cm on high ground/uplands etc!

It looks like some light rain/drizzle before it starts, but nothing to much before the snow arrives! Like I said before, this isnt nothing special, but its a dam sight better than we have had all winter ( which says it all really )! Its something to watch and nowcast for!

Posted

Not according to the BBC. Light rain, light snow at 3.00 then dry.

NAE moved west again.

Not much PPN over Bristol

12021006_0906.gif

Yeah the latest charts seem to be making this a big event for Wales , Still haven't got a clue on the a370 route... Seems a tad touch and go again to me but will have to see.

Posted

Issued at - 08 Feb 2012, 12:42

Valid from - 09 Feb 2012, 16:00

Valid to - 10 Feb 2012, 23:59

An area of snow is expected to develop over east and northeast England later on Thursday, and then during Friday this will extend steadily southwestwards into central and some southwestern parts of England, as well as the east of Wales. Whilst there is uncertainty regarding where the heaviest and most persistent snow will fall, accumulations of up to about 10cm are possible in the worst affected regions. The public should be aware that, as a result, there could be some disruption to travel

From the Met Office ( The Pro's )

Posted

Yeah the latest charts seem to be making this a big event for Wales , Still haven't got a clue on the a370 route... Seems a tad touch and go again to me but will have to see.

Down to watching the radar I guess. This event isnt worth staying up for, will look out the window in the morning......but to what? lol

Posted

No point being downbeat about it! What will happen will happen, its just the weather! At least its something more interesting than what we have had so far, and at least there is potential for something in some places! I will just enjoy whatever I do get for however long I do get it! I just enjoy learning about the weather and trying to come to forecasting conclusions myself using the models and my opinions!

Good Luck all anyway! And after tomorrow, there is potential for a northerly next week so lots to keep me interested for the time being!

Posted

Down to watching the radar I guess. This event isnt worth staying up for, will look out the window in the morning......but to what? lol

lol it's my birthday today so will probably be out in Weston tonight , so will see what state things are (and I am) around 1am when i hobble home lol.