Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 6

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

So what time is the front likely to arrive around here then? I'm going to have an early night so I can get up to see the front go through before I go to college. Temp currently -0.1c! Rubbish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

So what time is the front likely to arrive around here then? I'm going to have an early night so I can get up to see the front go through before I go to college. Temp currently -0.1c! Rubbish.

About lunchtime for our part of the region

C.S

That's a bit severe hasn't he had any snow either.

LMHO better get back on topic lol

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I'll Be in college then, and if it's that late then it will be just rain, rain rain. I can't live here anymore!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Tomorrow isn't as simple as a front pushing through and clearing. We have a quasi- stationary front throwing pulses of precip along it, heading into low dewpoints and a slight continental undercut.

I agree it doesn't look that hopeful but the Met Office aren't fools and are aware of the RISK

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

blackburn is currently the 5th coldest spot in the Uk at the moment.

Stafford just beaten Blackburn as a fith coldest spot. Blackburn just

knocked out of the top 5 table on http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Edited by pip21

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Yeah I'm not so sure of any snow tomorrow either now. Uppers just a tad too warm!

-1.1C here.

i told you :lol:

Posted

It will end up a freezing rain to rain event, or a rain to light drizzle event. The end result much the same.

Edited by Seven of Nine

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Currently -3.9c here compared to -2c at this time yesterday so unless cloud and warmer air moves in a long time before rain starts I expect we will be looking at the car version of dancing on ice tomorrow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

It will end up a freezing rain to rain event, or a rain to light drizzle event. The end result much the same.

A lot of people would have said the same about Feb 96........look how that turned out!

No one can be certain of tomorrow, uppers of 0 CAN support snow if the air profile remains cold down to all layers.....it's EXTREMELY marginal....sometimes it goes wrong other times it can unexpectedly go right.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

Currently -3.9c here compared to -2c at this time yesterday so unless cloud and warmer air moves in a long time before rain starts I expect we will be looking at the car version of dancing on ice tomorrow.

Yes but that cloud to the nw in early hours will come over lifting temp which is the problem.

Posted

I think its time to look to spring, I really don't feel any great cold snaps any time soon. I might be wrong but every chance fizzles quickly.

Yes but that cloud to the nw in early hours will come over lifting temp which is the problem.

What people need to remember is, we have an easterley and a strong high pressure. easterleys never deliver for us very rarely do we get anything on an easterley. Also high pressure keeps everything calm and clear, so there isnt gonna be much precip.

Edited by Saintpeter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Sancerre.

Anyone know if them showers in wales and south of our region real or anoprop

Phantoms - just been out with the woofers and there's no precip and hardly any clouds either.

Posted

What people need to remember is, we have an easterley and a strong high pressure. easterleys never deliver for us very rarely do we get anything on an easterley. Also high pressure keeps everything calm and clear, so there isnt gonna be much precip.

Dont think precipitation will be a problem next few days its what type we get thats the problem

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Clear now and temperature taking a dive.. already -2.0C, so if we dont get -5 to -7C tomorrow morning, I'll be surprised.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

TBH i don't want freezing rain.

Only experienced it a couple of times and only once in the long number of years i've been driving and believe me It's just to dangerous to be out in.

If we can't have snow and IMBY it looks unlikely from the scurrent set up then i'll gladly settle for bog standard wash away rain.

For all those in more favourable areas for snow...enjoy it folks.

Posted

Dont think precipitation will be a problem next few days its what type we get thats the problem

yes but that front on satursday pushed all the cold uppers away, we now only have 1c uppers. ideally we need -5 uppers for snow on high ground and -8 on lower ground. Everything else is there just not the uppers.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Worst ever meto warnings

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/nw/nw_forecast_warnings.html

Clearly a snow and ice boundary overlapping our region yet no mention of snow or sleet at all.... WTF?

Posted

The cold tonight on the west of manchester is really pulling in with the temp now below -3c and falling. It will be snow for us tomorow as like last Saturday lunchtime and it was a milder morning then.

Posted

A bit late here catching up on the warnings, but I got the jist of it on the past northwest tonight forecast . Freezing rain across the Northwest predominantly anywhere I believe it was, with milder conditions out into the North Sea & Ireland. With snow more towards the Midlands or the extreme southern Pennines.

I have to say local pavements are already dangerous from the weight in numbers passing across in the last 2 days, it means a simple walk to the village (downhill) 5 minutes away took about 20 with a lot of arm flailing and holding onto things, definitely not nice and going to be even worse so tomorrow given the short frost tonight followed by the freezing-rain event. As with the snow across last weekend the grit won't have time to do it's work given the rain will just refreeze over anything that's put down, so driving will also become a risk if conditions worsen further.