Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Significant Snow/Freezing Rain Risk - 9-10th February

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm Summers, Snowy Winters

I think this band is now way further East than anyone predicted. That stuff in the North Sea is HUGE, no model predicted there would be that much that far East. This is good news for the East Midlands, East Anglia and South East IMO.

It seems that any precipitation heading our way in EA is quickly fizzling out before it reaches the North Norfolk Coast. If you watch the radar for the past 3 or 4 hours it never gets any further south than this. I must admit I still don't think we'll see a lot here in EA, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

BBC have just put this about as far west as I've ever seen it!

yeah I saw that. Its the same graphics as before (I think)

Theres no way that's going to verify, the area of snow is tiny. This has nothing to do with IMBYism because it goes right over me anyway. But there is clearly much more ppn than the bbc video forecast as things stand right now. rubbish forecast

Edited by Zakos

Posted

Looks like a very poor show from the BBC. Sometimes I wonder do they just take the models as gospel and not even bother with the radar?

The graphics are essentially connected to the UKMO model so it will show what that model is showing it would appear. I'm sure amendments can be made if the model is wrong even at this stage. Still the graphics could be partly correct because the PPN could head westwards as the cold air will try and push the front westwards.

Posted

Pretty easy to work out people - warnings for easternmost counties are for ice, further west, ie Midlands, for snow. Still not expecting much here.

Posted

The bbc tend to run with the same graphics throughout the afternoon following the main forecast around 140, the next main one will be the 630. There should be different graphics then if they believe the nmm to be right, If there sticking with the snow purely for more western areas it sure will be confusing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

I actually think there's a radar error over Suffolk and Essex as no one is reporting any snow there, and I don't think the air is THAT dry.

Still, the BBC are underestimating the snow potential, as people in Peterborough and Milton Keynes are currently seeing some snow, and the BBC graphics do not show that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms storms and more storms

Radar is picking up moisture which is evaporating before it gets to the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers /snowy winters

The snow is getting heavier here in peterborough now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

I was under PPT from 12pm according to the radar, it finally staretd snowing at 4pm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine & Snow

That is moving very fast similar to the last weekend. When will it start stalling?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, crisp, calm and sunny

Maybe they should have listened to the Met Office warnings? In all seriousnous I hope all involved recover quickly, but I do wonder about why the Met bothers putting out warnings in this country as most people seem to ignore them...

Think you are making too simplistic a comment here. Life isn't that black and white, or easy, in reality. Everyone I mentioned in my post, including me, don't get paid unless we turn up for work.

I know I certainly didn't ignore the MetO warnings and took particular care today. Got to work OK with winter tyres fitted to the car and parked as close as possible to the office entrance. Took extreme care when getting out of the car and going into the office. However, in spite of the path being gritted my feet shot out from under me. I know my other colleagues were equally as cautious.

The Met puts out warnings for people to take particular care and to judge whether a journey is necessary, I assume. I didn't see a red warning with instructions to stay indoors, therefore I and the majority of the population affected by these difficult conditions took the unpleasant decision to try and get to our places of employment.

Posted

Light to moderate rain here in the West Midlands. Ground fully wet. The worry is that temperatures must be very close to freezing...and there's no sign of this turning to snow soon. Could get tricky out there soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Looks like it will be rain here again despite the earlier mesoscale model output looking favourable for snow.. Cloudy and 2c, temp rising slowly.

Edited by Jim_AFCB

Posted

light sleet in Chesterfield, are we too far north to see any decent snowfall?

Posted

Just a few flakes falling for the last 20 mins or so in NW essex - i guess this is the slight humidifying of the surface layer that should allow the stuff over the radar to start making it down to the surface in the coming hours

SK

Posted

Light rain here in North Bristol.

Thinking back 48 hours this is what was predicted for us, before turning to snow thru' the night and then fizzling out just before dawn.

It seems the actual weather is mirroring what was predicted 48 hours ago, as opposed to this time yday eve when it looked like we were in a 'sweet spot' for snow tonight.

About the SW movement of the band - wasn't it predicted to happen thru' the night anyway and not at this time? Maybe that's why there's minimal west/SW movement now. Just wondering.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The bbc tend to run with the same graphics throughout the afternoon following the main forecast around 140, the next main one will be the 630. There should be different graphics then if they believe the nmm to be right, If there sticking with the snow purely for more western areas it sure will be confusing

Had a tweet from Ian Ferguson which seems to bear this out. When I mentioned it was snowing in Peterborough and Milton Keynes despite these areas not being under BBC's snow projection, he advised that the models are being modified to cater for these areas.....so I daresay there will be a big shift back East come 6.30pm

Edited by Timmytour

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

Got some snow here in Aylesbury, Bucks. Only a little dusting, but a start! :cold:

Dry here 15 miles to the west

Had a tweet from Ian Ferguson which seems to bear this out. When I mentioned it was snowing in Peterborough and Milton Keynes despite these areas not being under BBC's snow projection, he advised that the models are being modified to cater for these areas.....so I daresay there will be a big shift back East come 6.30pm

Are you saying I will have to look out of the window for this one ??