Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted

12021000_0912.gif

Oh dear, I'm throwing in the towel.........NAE has the front cleearing through quicker AND says no to snow, so a double slap in the face

I never built my hopes up with this one, for those South of the region another bitter disappointment. It really is a very poor winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

I think we stnd more chance of waking up to a gold ingot nestled in the pillow next to us

:lol: Your probably right there!

MetO have just released their evening forecast with that familiar sentence "Rain with Snow on hills!" Time to call time on this Ladies & Gents!

MetO have just released their evening forecast with that familiar sentence "Rain with Snow on hills!" Time to call time on this Ladies & Gents!

Posted

We seem to be right on the border here where the mild air ends and the colder air starts. Longridge often has snow whilst although I am on the East side of Preston we have none. When i first registered on this forum i remember TWS saying you could draw a line down the M6 and all areas West of that stay relativley snow free, i'd say thats pretty much bang on, although in my experience areas around Kendal do quite well too.

It seems to be all or nothing here, whenever i hear "marginal" i know to switch off.

Yes, I'd say for Lancashire, anywhere west of the M6 is going to struggle. I would actually say it is east of Longridge that the good area starts, from about half way along Longridge Fell. Longridge is a sort of halfway house between the depressing mildness of West Lancs and the occasional snowyness of East Lancs. On Saturday there was no snow in Longridge, yet literally 2 miles east, if that, and/or 20 metres higher had snow.

Cumbria is similar. The very coast, Millom, Whitehaven, Workington and northwards upto about 5 miles in get very little snow. The midle part does better, often aided by height and can be prone to a hammering, but still misses out a lot. And the east, from about Greystoke eastwards gets loads, to the point where by the time you get to Alston its almost permanently snow covered in winter!

Edited by trickydicky

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
Here Hou Go BT think you need to look at these.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms

Precipitation defo looks a little more than rain at the moment - a bit sleety now I'd say. Suppose that's as close to snow as I'm gonna get! Temps just a little below freezing still.

Posted

Sadly for you guys the GFS/NMM has done a better job modelling the milder pool of 850hpa air over the NW than the NAE, and on its 12z run it has fallen in line with the other models. A bit of a shame bit there you go!

Posted

my temp is 0.1 and dp is -0.7. no chance for snow just like i thought. BT been watching peter pan if he think we gonna get some snow :lol:

Posted

Sadly for you guys the GFS/NMM has done a better job modelling the milder pool of 850hpa air over the NW than the NAE, and on its 12z run it has fallen in line with the other models. A bit of a shame bit there you go!

What you mean fallen into line with other models??? its not finished its run yet has it?

Edited by Winter Monsoon

Posted

What you mean fallen into line with other models??? its not finished its run yet has it?

it means any chance of snow now has gone

Posted

if it snows now with the wet floor it wont stay

Posted

i wouldnt give up just yet either. Models can be wrong very wrong. GFS used in a serious sentance my word lmao

lol did we all honestly think that we were going to get snow with 850's @ 0c+ ??

no but upper air would drop off to be conducive later tonight from the east and those with rain especially the south would do quite well...while it may be game over further north by looking at it, it isn't game over here just yet..still lets hope for an early spring coz this autumn (pretend winter) needs to be done and gone!

Posted

Currently 0oC, still raining & got some pretty impressive icicles hanging off my wheel arches :) Still got a nice covering of snow outside (pic just now), I will be very surprised if we see any more... looks like its cold rain all the way :cray:

post-3616-0-92030500-1328803595_thumb.jp

Posted

Looking out my window from just shy of 700ft and all day we've had the same drizzle here, no thanks in part to the uppers. The warm front now over us and has lowered the cloud base significantly to where it's barely 1/4 mile vis. If temps can fall away another 2'c with the aid of the cold front to the east then just possibly the Pennine region might see something at the end of the day but in terms of accumulations I'd be surprised if now we see even 2cm in the Peaks by tomorrow, in any case thermal heating would do the job of re-melting it again anyway.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

if it snows now with the wet floor it wont stay

Quite frankly that does not matter a jot, if it snows heavy enough and then we remain cold afterwards then it sticks and stays.

Two weeks ago it was chucking it down all day on and off, the floor was saturated and then it snowed for an hour around 4pm and we had snow on the ground for a week until last saturday.

Posted

:shok::rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)
still plain old rain there? got freezing rain here at work (near Rochdale Asda)