Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

He's probably thinking of Bactrack lol........he's well known for his size over estimations

Ha Ha see what you mean now LOL :air_kiss:

C.S

Posted

Really is a different world up there (despite not being too far away from here)......I noticed that even Sandbach (just a few miles away) had areas of left over snow when we drove through last night.

Yeah you can say that. Macc itself has its own favoured spots I've found recently. I live in the south west part of the town with only a few houses left before the fields start but were also on a hill thats around 40m higher than the most of the town before you get to the eastern side thats on the hills. Back in December I had snow at home but when driving through the town center there was very little. Then theres been times where my part of town will get 5cm, yet the other will get over 10cm. Really weird really but goes to show how a little more height can make the world of difference sometimes.

Posted

We were the ones who had 5cm of snow (minimum) from the last event and yes I do have pics to prove it lol. Being in the Peak District at close to 700ft (1050ft on the tops) means we are almost guarantee'd double of whatever is forecast by the MetO/BBC outlooks as they go for conservative estimates while up here we get factors such as orographic lift, drifting, and localised snow heights/lows within and around valleys/peaks respectively.

Posted

I have reports from a friend in Oldham/Rochdale and the roads and pavements are turning quickly to ice rinks!

That will make me look forward to my journey back from Manchester tonight... NOT! lol - but thanks for the heads up.

Posted

Light rain here now, but its freezing I'd say. Seeing as I've just watched a delivery man across the road almost break his neck trying to walk down a 'wet' looking driveway.

Posted

Just received a meto warning for snow later! Rain at the min but confidence is high for snow later! :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Light freezing rain here to very icy under foot

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Light rain here now, but its freezing I'd say. Seeing as I've just watched a delivery man across the road almost break his neck trying to walk down a 'wet' looking driveway.

LOL, it's always interesting seeing people slipping on what looks like rain.......until now I've managed to keep myself upright (despite some near slip experiences) Though I've seen plenty of other people come a cropper :p

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Meto have reduced the warning for the NW

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I agree SJ

With the MET i always use there Peak District mountain forcast, it is much more acurate for my location

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

staying cold for next week with hard frosts again. risk of snow from tuesday onwards for

western and eastern coasts of britain. :)http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/cgi-app/reports?LANG=en&MENU=weekahead&DAY=20120209

Posted

Meto now have the rain/snow clearing the region around midnight. Could be a "knife-edge" situation for Backtracks eyebrows.

I would say the far south of the region (Cheshire) has a chance of holding on to the precipitation until the early hours as the front becomes very slow moving just to the south of us......hence why Cheshire is still in the snow warning.

Posted

So i'm not biased with heights as its easy to show a picture of 10cm of snow across the 1050ft hillside. This picture was taken in the village Furness Vale along the A6, height of 490ft and with 5cm of snow across surfaces.

Obviously the further you go into the Peak District (ie towards the main moorland passes) the snow you get due to heights and the difficulty of clearing that accumulation once it settles.

post-8763-0-44881600-1328789718_thumb.jp

Posted

Meto warnings don't really tie in with those snow forecast charts posted earlier, and niether do the meto forecasts. Snow warning now removed from almost all of the NW and shunted further East.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Misses us yet again! Grrrr should have stayed in oldham where i was born lol

Posted

LOL, it's always interesting seeing people slipping on what looks like rain.......until now I've managed to keep myself upright (despite some near slip experiences) Though I've seen plenty of other people come a cropper :p

Haha yeah, Im glad im off on holiday today so have no need to venture outside. Back in work tomorrow so will probably have to fight my way through the traffic that always seems to grind Macclesfield to a halt when it snows.

Posted

HE HE want the photo,s as proof LOL

As posted earlier the difference from sat is the angle of attack,this time the colder uppers and PPN

is from the east

C.S

What the ppn is from the East? I thought it was coming down from Scotland.

If the ppn is from the East and the cold uppers from the east then this chart for us looks plausible

http://www.snow-fore...maps/dynamic/uk

Edited by martinj2

Posted

And yet the BBC 11am update had the snow over the extreme south of the region until rush hour Friday am even...

Hence the warnings covering the southern and eastern parts of the region.....as I said it may not clear Cheshire until dawn......in this situation, Cheshire is more suited to the WM forecast I find

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

Itv weather just now was showing tons of snow cheshire, lancaster,birkenhead,liverpool, the only part not showing snow was preston! I'm not happy, in fact I'm quite sad lol

Oops lol, i see the short term of swearing has been censored ;) lol

Posted

Hence the warnings covering the southern and eastern parts of the region.....as I said it may not clear Cheshire until dawn......in this situation, Cheshire is more suited to the WM forecast I find

And yet the BBC 11am update had the snow over the extreme south of the region until rush hour Friday am even...

Yes, you are right, south of the region looking best at the moment. As it was last night to be fair. Just seemed earlier this morning the risk appeared to extend further North & West covering much of the region.

As an aside, can anyone explain the advantage of altitude in a situation such as this, where upper air temperatures are on paper not cold enough for snow anywhere, or a best marginal? Also last Saturday, uppers were not cold yet areas with altitude faired a lot better?