Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted

Chris whats the deepest snow you've had in the last 2 winters?

err im rubbish at snow depths...hopefully another prestonite will correct me.....I would say the last two winters we have events that delivered perhaps up to 3 inches? The Jan 2010 fall (3inches perhaps a little more?) my father in law reckoned was the most snow he has ever seen in Preston (he is 76) not sure how reliable his memory is...but it does demonstrate the point.

Posted

Chris, my dad said the same he's 82. I measured the snow where we live in 2009/10 and the max undrifted depth on our back lawn was 8 inches, it was over the top of a 6 year olds welly boot. That was after fresh snow and 3/4 nights of heavy showers, i still have the pictures somewhere. Snow depths last winter 2010/11 were much less i'd say a max of 3 inches, the year before was perfect though, snow showers/fronts off the sea, cold air it snowed nearly every night for a week here. Happy days.

Posted

In my life I have lived in West Cumbria, Preston, Central Wales and Longridge, and the only place where I have spent a winter and it has not snowed at all is... Preston! I lived there for 3 years at Uni and I think it snowed lightly once in my first year giving a brief covering. Nothing in the other 2 winters other than non sticking sleet showers. The first 2 years I lived at Longridge were pretty poor too. December 2009 was the first time I saw snow last on the ground for longer than 24 hours in Lancashire!! This winter has almost reverted to type, I had 2 days of lying snow at the start of December.

Thanks for the back up......

I am always amazed when people from this area, (to an extent merseyside, west cumbria and parts of cheshire too) moan about how rubbish a winter has been due to lack of snow......its like living in the Atacama Desert and complaining about 'how dry the summer has been'

Posted

Got to say I think I'm just inside the warning being in Leigh, correct if I'm wrong I'm sick of looking at maps. I'm not feeling very confident of anything though

Posted

Well, these pictures are in Goosnargh in 1947 I think, not that far from Preston (unless there is another one?!). I'm no ruler but that looks like more than 3 inches to me!

http://theweatheroutlook.com/images/readers/Goosnargh%201947%20a_s.jpg

http://theweatheroutlook.com/images/readers/Goosnargh%201947%20c_s.jpg

Posted

Chris, my dad said the same he's 82. I measured the snow where we live in 2009/10 and the max undrifted depth on our back lawn was 8 inches, it was over the top of a 6 year olds welly boot. That was after fresh snow and 3/4 nights of heavy showers, i still have the pictures somewhere. Snow depths last winter 2010/11 were much less i'd say a max of 3 inches, the year before was perfect though, snow showers/fronts off the sea, cold air it snowed nearly every night for a week here. Happy days.

Thanks sfz I thought I may have underestimated 2009/10. Yes it was perfect, snow was like powder....felt like living in the alps...and in lots of ways all the more magical BECAUSE of the rarity.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

09/10 i think i got about the same as last year (3 inches)

Posted

Well, these pictures are in Goosnargh in 1947 I think, not that far from Preston (unless there is another one?!). I'm no ruler but that looks like more than 3 inches to me!

http://theweatherout...01947%20a_s.jpg

http://theweatherout...01947%20c_s.jpg

lol..like I said not sure about his memory........but again that sort of backs up my point....it usually takes one hell of an event to get significant snow here

Posted

I am always amazed when people from this area, (to an extent merseyside, west cumbria and parts of cheshire too) moan about how rubbish a winter has been due to lack of snow......its like living in the Atacama Desert and complaining about 'how dry the summer has been'

IMBY we at least see 3 or more falls of snow over the winter period. They may not bring 6+ inches all the time, but a covering is a covering none the less. This winter has brought one dusting only, and that disappeared within four hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

just remembered i got 2.5 inches in 09/10 from that NW'ly, i got about 1/2 hours of heavy snow but i missed the worst of it due to the showers hitting places about 50 miles south of me. someone has the radar of that day in their sig

Posted

http://theweatherout...01947%20a_s.jpg

http://theweatherout...01947%20c_s.jpg

Good grief ...... can you just imagine that happening today, it would be like the world had come to an end.

IMBY 1 grass covering here this winter, when it snowed 2 weeks before Christmas.

Posted

The MetO 16-30 dayer still refuses to show any cold set up. IMO I don't care what the teleconnections are showing, these updates have been consistently good for well over a year now. Game over for any sustained wintry spell now, I would say.

Posted

To be fair to merseyside and west cheshire, usually do see snow, and some times quite a bit of it due to the convection off the irish sea. Some years can be pretty good, such as winter 2010 when a lot of places had more than 6inches + the further rural you went.

While not a snow blackhole, the synoptics have to be perfectly right or we can completely miss an event.

So to say that down here we have done extremely badly considering we normally have our share of snowfall events (not on the coast strip) just highlights how barren it has been this winter..apart from the extremely wet snow we had at the start of december..overall I don't believe we do that badly, sure it could be a lot better, but overall it's not truly abysmal like some places..except this winter, where more places have done much better surprisingly

Posted

Good grief ...... can you just imagine that happening today, it would be like the world had come to an end.

IMBY 1 grass covering here this winter, when it snowed 2 weeks before Christmas.

It wasn't too far off that in Febraury 1996 in West Cumbria, and Feb 2001 was pretty bad their too.

This pic is of Trawden in 2001, which again aint a million miles from Preston, although inland and much higher. I'm guessing you must have got a decent amount then too? I get the picture though, it doesn't snow often in Preston, other than in exceptional circumstances when everyone else gets buried/its really cold!

http://www.bakerlite.co.uk/pics/England/Colne/Trawden/snow-4.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

A light-moderate very cold :cold: sleety rain falling currently here at work in Macclesfield GFS and NAE are going for a period of snowfall tonight 2-5cm possible but still I think the Met Office are very unsure. Does Cheshire stand a chance of some snow tonight??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and lots of Heavy snow!

time to wait and see what happens later this afternoon / early evening.

Hmmm I guess we just have to wait and see. How good do you rate our chances "Hot Cuppa"?

Posted

It wasn't too far off that in Febraury 1996 in West Cumbria, and Feb 2001 was pretty bad their too.

We seem to be right on the border here where the mild air ends and the colder air starts. Longridge often has snow whilst although I am on the East side of Preston we have none. When i first registered on this forum i remember TWS saying you could draw a line down the M6 and all areas West of that stay relativley snow free, i'd say thats pretty much bang on, although in my experience areas around Kendal do quite well too.

It seems to be all or nothing here, whenever i hear "marginal" i know to switch off.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Manchester south looks like the sweet spot at the moment

Heather just mentioned not as much snow than on saturday.....HHHMM What snow LOL

C.S