Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Of England Regional Discussion - Part 7

kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

UK Outlook for Tuesday 14 Feb 2012 to Thursday 23 Feb 2012:

Northerly winds on Tuesday mean a continuation of the recent cold weather is likely. Southern and western parts of the UK are likely to be mostly dry with some sunny spells, whilst showers are likely elsewhere. The showers are likely to turn increasingly wintry in eastern counties by early on Wednesday, with snow possible to low levels. During the second half of next week, southern parts should stay largely dry, whilst northern parts will probably be unsettled, with periods of cloudy weather and spells of rain, and snow on high ground. These more unsettled conditions will gradually spread to affect most parts during the following week, although may take some time to reach the far south. Temperatures will become generally close to average, but with a chance of overnight frosts. :80: happens every ******* year!

Posted

Meto warnings don't really tie in with those snow forecast charts posted earlier, and niether do the meto forecasts. Snow warning now removed from almost all of the NW and shunted further East.

it could be the meto are underplaying this, i wouldnt be surprised if it gets another update later, however with colder air coming in from the east with the precip..it could still be very interesting for the south of the region..ie south liverpool, hale, runcorn and east.. ties in with my friend from the airport's forecast of south region and east

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Yes, you are right, south of the region looking best at the moment. As it was last night to be fair. Just seemed earlier this morning the risk appeared to extend further North & West covering much of the region.

I'm not hopeful, but if we do get anything here I'll post some pics for the more northern members

Posted

Northerly winds on Tuesday mean a continuation of the recent cold weather is likely. Southern and western parts of the UK are likely to be mostly dry with some sunny spells, whilst showers are likely elsewhere. The showers are likely to turn increasingly wintry in eastern counties by early on Wednesday, with snow possible to low levels. During the second half of next week, southern parts should stay largely dry, whilst northern parts will probably be unsettled, with periods of cloudy weather and spells of rain, and snow on high ground. These more unsettled conditions will gradually spread to affect most parts during the following week, although may take some time to reach the far south. Temperatures will become generally close to average, but with a chance of overnight frosts. :80: happens every ******* year!

i think you should not cherry pick words....and further this is still some time away, and its very likely to change

Posted

Sums up winter for the NW nicely does that update. Worst winter on record for snow as it stands IMBY.

Posted

*as a result, there could be some disruption to travel. This warning will be kept under review and may be updated in the light of new information.*

Seems to me they are just issuing early warnings to cover themselves, don't take the latest updated map as gospel, as many other independent sites and models have shown the snow coverage to be much further north than what the MetO is now stating.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer storms, hot summer days and Snow :)

Been like that for a few days now. :)

yeah thats true, still pretty much a full covering where i live

Posted

Just been out to the bin and nearly ended up on my I have a problem! Very icy out, but starting to melt a little, temp 0.6c. Was going to head into town today but theres no way I'm driving in these conditions!

Stupid swear filter, that word isn't offensive!

Edited by Mountain Snow

Posted

Sums up winter for the NW nicely does that update. Worst winter on record for snow as it stands IMBY.

Wish I could say it had been the worst winter for snow on record here....buts ts been pretty average really...i.e. none at all

out of interest who else would say that for their area that no snow (i mean lying snow) represents a fairly normal winter?

edit ...if someone offered my odds of 2/1 at the start of every winter that there will be no lying snow in Preston all winter....id happily put £100 on that every time. Im pretty sure over a 20 year period id be well in porfit

Edited by chris78

Posted

http://www.weatheron...V=0&WMO==

6z NAE has us, S Manc, in the sweet spot though. Appologies if already discussed, a quick view during lunch

its wrong already, shows snow for now in rochdale.. rain all the way :)

Wish I could say it had been the worst winter for snow on record here....buts ts been pretty average really...i.e. none at all

out of interest who else would say that for their area that no snow (i mean lying snow) represents a fairly normal winter?

is it really that bad there? sure it snowed in blackpool last winter!!

Posted

how can it be wrong now for your area, look at the time its for

Posted

how can it be wrong now for your area, look at the time its for

go to plus six

Posted

You know i am going to say yes :)

Just can't see any way we further N and W will get any snow out of this. That NAE output is wrong already as the earlier charts show snow for here until 6 tonight. Whilst that snow forecast chart looks impressive, past experience says it just wont happen like that. Snow was never forecast for here anyway.

Edited by Snow free zone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

edit ...if someone offered my odds of 2/1 at the start of every winter that there will be no lying snow in Preston all winter....id happily put £100 on that every time. Im pretty sure over a 20 year period id be well in porfit

i would say 2 or 3 snowfalls represents an average winter here

EDIT: lying snow 1 or 2

Edited by I Cumbria Marra I

Posted

I think so.....sorry should have said last two years accepted..............it does snow here just very rare...when I have brought this up before others have said im being over the top.....id love to see stats of significant lying snow events in Preston....(id count significant as an inch lying for a day or more)

Posted

I think so.....sorry should have said last two years accepted..............it does snow here just very rare...when I have brought this up before others have said im being over the top.....id love to see stats of significant lying snow events in Preston....(id count significant as an inch lying for a day or more)

unlucky mate, had snow here now since saturday but its hard and compact now ha, been a nighmare on the motorbike but needs must

Alot has gone now, but the stuff that's left is treacherous. Not keen on it now to be honest.

yeah its very icy and compact isnt it

Posted

BBC NEWS 24 forecast looks more realistic, snow for us and manchester overnight, before sinking south and over the highground in wales tomorrow.

Edited by HotCuppa

Posted

Chris whats the deepest snow you've had in the last 2 winters?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, warm weather not too hot, floods, storms

all the ppn west of the pennines just dying to death according to the radar. :cray:http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

Posted

In my life I have lived in West Cumbria, Preston, Central Wales and Longridge, and the only place where I have spent a winter and it has not snowed at all is... Preston! I lived there for 3 years at Uni and I think it snowed lightly once in my first year giving a brief covering. Nothing in the other 2 winters other than non sticking sleet showers. The first 2 years I lived at Longridge were pretty poor too. December 2009 was the first time I saw snow last on the ground for longer than 24 hours in Lancashire!! This winter has almost reverted to type, I had 2 days of lying snow at the start of December.

Edited by trickydicky