Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West Of England Regional Discussion Thread Part 3

Jane Louise

Posted

I haven't the time to read through the whole load of posts since last night!

Around an inch on the coldest surfaces in Warminster but only half that on the roads/pavements, it's been flurrying for the last hour or

so but having just been outside helping my wife clear her car it was noticeably wet.

Looking back at the radar the heaviest fell between 23.00-01.00 and there will be some more flurrying in the next few hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Snowed here till about 3am then turned to rain :-( still lightly raining now. So the snow we have got has turned to slush puppy. Hoping it gets colder and turns to snow again! But don't think it will.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Well what an absolute let down - no sign of snow whatsoever. Is that it? I think now's the time to say that the forecast was very wrong!

Posted

Same here. Off to get ready for work now. grrrrrr

At least it's the last day of term. Plus no snow means that we can get around without any hassle and make the most of the week, and see spring come in next week. I hope ! :)

Yes, the forecast was VERY wrong. I cannot remember it ever being this wrong.

5 - 10cm snow actually being loads of rain and it's a balmy 2c here at 7.30am. The netweather radar wasn't even right last night. It's all very strange. I reckon the rest of the country were in cahoots with the MetO and planned it through jealousy as we live in the best/prettiest part of the UK. :D and we are going to get a better summer than anyone else.

Another edit. The BBC graphic is actually showing snow right over the top of me at the moment. Cheeky so & so's. Jokes over guys!

Edited by dancing daisy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Snowed here till about 3am then turned to rain :-( still lightly raining now. So the snow we have got has turned to slush puppy. Hoping it gets colder and turns to snow again! But don't think it will.

Snow lying on grass, rooftops etc but it has melted on roads, pavements etc. At least we can say we have seen snow this winter :good:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Hot Sun (but not at the same time!) 57m asl

Snow lying on grass, rooftops etc but it has melted on roads, pavements etc. At least we can say we have seen snow this winter :good:

Thats very true! Not enough on grass to give my new sledge an outing really though. How I dream of dec 2nd 2010 again. That was amazing!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

very poor really it makes last weeks snow look alot better :cray:

U must admit though I am confused how the meto high res model didnt pick this up less than 24 hours before event and if the more experienced posters in model thread noticed earlier how did the meto get it so wrong?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow (of course) Storms, Sunshine, everything begging with 'S'

Thats very true! Not enough on grass to give my new sledge an outing really though. How I dream of dec 2nd 2010 again. That was amazing!!

Agreed, it shows the miricle of snow. Everything has to be the right ingredients for it to form, fall and settle.

Posted

All eyes open for the next bite at the cherry. I feel misled and let down this morning!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

All eyes open for the next bite at the cherry. I feel misled and let down this morning!

To be honest, I think my eyes are firmly fixed on Spring now & some warmth. Hopefully some decent thunderstorms too.

Posted

To be honest, I think my eyes are firmly fixed on Spring now & some warmth. Hopefully some decent thunderstorms too.

You may have a point. I just find it incredible that there have been 3 snow events here and nothing has come from them. I won't be satisfied with this winter until there has been at least one successful snow event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny , cold and snowy, thunderstorms

You may have a point. I just find it incredible that there have been 3 snow events here and nothing has come from them. I won't be satisfied with this winter until there has been at least one successful snow event.

Its been very painful though, we have been just 1 or 2c to high each time, leaving us with just cold rain each time. Very very annoying. The models are equally annoying with their constant chopping and changing, it really has been a frustrating Winter which I will be happy to see the back off.

I still feel we have plenty more Winters to come which will be cold and snowy due to the Solar minimum we are in, so not all is lost.

It would be nice though to have a proper stormy Spring, followed by a hot stormy Summer which we haven't had for what seem like ages.

Posted
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.
  • Location: SW of Sherborne. About a mile from the Somerset border.

There was a light covering of snow when I looked out around half one this morning, but only on the grass and soil, the road was clear. Now it's nearly all gone.

Netweather radar is showing that it should be snowing here now, but it isn't, in fact there isn't anything falling. Temp is +2°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast

Well theres been a few cm here but its thawing and turning to slush fairly rapidly because it's currently drizzling.

Still not happy at how wrong they got it. Especially so close and even during the 'event'.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Just over an inch here, now very slushy and drizzling.

I too am surprised and disappointed at the inaccuracy of the forecasts, I'm not a METO basher but there's no way of getting round the fact that this time, they were badly wrong. Snow may be difficult to forecast but it's not so difficult to amend the forecast when it becomes clear it simply isn't happening as predicted.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, stormy

I too am surprised and disappointed at the inaccuracy of the forecasts, I'm not a METO basher but there's no way of getting round the fact that this time, they were badly wrong. Snow may be difficult to forecast but it's not so difficult to amend the forecast when it becomes clear it simply isn't happening as predicted.

This is a general moan here. I really don't think it is fair to say the MET got it that wrong. In the lead up to this there was a huge emphasis on uncertainty. I don't recall any forecasts from the met or the BBC saying that it was definitely going to give widespread snow of 10 cm. They just didn't say this. The big problem is we all cherry pick the best bits for ourselves both in terms of locations and amounts. So a forecast of snow for some parts of the south west, with up 1-5 cm typical and up to 10 cm in parts becomes 10 cm for all. Snow in this country is incredibly hard to forecast. We all know this. Lots of us HAVE HAD SNOW. Many of us have between 1 and 5 cm. Where is the huge mistake in all this?

Posted

Think the forecast changed very much in a 6 hr period.

Posted

Morning all.

Had a couple of cm's last night starting to melt now. here's a pic for those who missed out and need a snow fix. Such a shame.

post-12705-0-45577700-1328864610_thumb.j

Hopefully we get another chance before spring :-)

Posted

This is a general moan here. I really don't think it is fair to say the MET got it that wrong. In the lead up to this there was a huge emphasis on uncertainty. I don't recall any forecasts from the met or the BBC saying that it was definitely going to give widespread snow of 10 cm. They just didn't say this. The big problem is we all cherry pick the best bits for ourselves both in terms of locations and amounts. So a forecast of snow for some parts of the south west, with up 1-5 cm typical and up to 10 cm in parts becomes 10 cm for all. Snow in this country is incredibly hard to forecast. We all know this. Lots of us HAVE HAD SNOW. Many of us have between 1 and 5 cm. Where is the huge mistake in all this?

The mistake is where the snow was forecast to fall. This snow forecast changed very much. The line of snow, and snow risk charts was a line from Glouc, Bristol, Weston, Exeter....it didnt take that path. It went Wiltshire, Dorest.

Edited by weathe20